Is Online Education Good or Bad – Know its Pros and Cons
By Nandini Mittal
The pandemic has changed our lives in various ways. We have no alternative but to change our lifestyle according to the rules and preventive measures taken up by the government. These changes include online education.
Educational institutions are closed. Earlier, this would have meant that students could not receive education any longer. However, we have found a way out of this through technology. Using technology as a key, we have opened the lock of a more convenient educational system. However, a question is still left unanswered : is online education a boon or a curse?
As we all know, everything has its pros and cons, and each has numerous reasons. First, we’ll discuss and analyse the merits.
Merits of Online Education
1. Convenient and cheap
The first merit is that it is convenient and cheap. Students can send files to their teachers through the internet, which requires only a device and a strong internet connection. It is convenient and cheaper too as we don’t require a vehicle to go from one place to another.
We don’t even have to spend a huge amount of money on the stationery as we are getting the information from teachers from which we get printouts. Moreover, the study hours have become flexible which has made education relaxing.
Second : it is faster. We can send many files at once in just a few minutes! This also results in the third merit.
3. Decrease in workload
It has decreased the workload of teachers. To check answer sheets of exams, they just have to enter the answers of the questions and the computer evaluates the marks itself. Moreover, they can send edited files of the students, in which they can just highlight the mistakes so the students themselves can correct it.
4. Technical upgradation
The fourth merit is : the teachers who weren’t technically sound before are now computer-literate, which is essential for their future and also to ensure cybersafety.
5. Growth of Online platforms
The fifth merit is : online education has given rise to more platforms. It has also enhanced the softwares of online conference, which is a boon for technology. With the feedback of the users, the software developers now know what exactly the users demand, so that they can satisfy them.
Now, we will discuss the demerits of online education.
1. Poor connectivity
The first disadvantage is : poor internet connection and inaccessibility of different devices for video calls makes it hard for children to study. This can be applied in case of teachers also, especially for those who aren’t technically sound.
Second : devices are used not only for online education but for recreational activities. So, most of the students can’t focus on their studies as they are constantly distracted by their favourite movies, web series, games, songs, memes and many more notifications.
3. Technical glitches
Third demerit is : technical difficulties give teachers and students a hard time. Technical errors were quite normal before. However, since electronics have become a major part of our day-to-day life, such glitches become unbearable to us. Same goes for students and teachers as well. Teachers are sometimes unable to send messages or upload homework. Similarly, students are sometimes unable to open or send some files.
4. Increased screen time
The fourth demerit is : the increase in the screentime is harmful for students and teachers. Since education is now dependent on electronic devices, homework and notes, explanation, almost everything is now accessible in our devices, which has increased the screentime of students and teachers. This has resulted in children and teachers weakening themselves in the following ways – the eyesight of some people have become weak and some have even lost their vision, same goes for their hearing sense due to the prolonged use of the earphones, their body become stiff which prevents them to do their work efficiently and it has also resulted in people becoming lethargic and avoiding manual work and exercising. This gradually leads to the fifth demerit.
5. Physical inactivity
The immunity of students and teachers can deteriorate. They don’t have enough time to exercise as they are busy working and studying. Moreover, as we have learnt in the previous disadvantage, some become deaf or blind, some lethargic or some get body pains which prevents them from being healthy. We all know that to remain healthy, one needs to be physically, mentaly, emotionally and socially happy and stress-free. However, online education can hamper a person who is on their way to being healthy.
6. Lack of interaction
Sixth : online education is not as much fun and interactive as normal education.
Now, let’s do a recap : we have learnt that there are five merits and six demerits of online education. However, in my opinion, online education is a boon for us, especially for students. If a student drafts a perfectly balanced time-table and follows it diligently, he or she can avoid many demerits and the student can maintain their health and pass with flying colours simultaneously.
- Essays in English
- Essay on My Father in English
- Essay on Mahatma Gandhi in English
- Essay on Swami Vivekanand in English
- Essay on Shaheed Bhagat Singh in English
- India’s 15th President Draupadi Murmu, Essay in English
- Essay on Cruelty to Animals in English
- Essay on Importance of English
- Plastic ban – Are we doing enough?
- Essay on my family
- Essay on My best friend
- Essay on Impact of Poverty on Education
- Essay on The Wonder Called Science in English
- Essay on Mobile Phones in English
- Agnipath – A New Recruitment Scheme of Indian Armed Forces
- Role of Technology in Education? English Essay
- What is Exam Result Anxiety and How to Reduce it
- Should Facebook be banned? English Essay
- Suicide Among Students Due to Parental Pressure
- Should selling and using tobacco be banned? English Essay
- Social Media – A cause of Anxiety and Depression
- Should Smoking in Public Places be banned? English Essay
- Essay on Should children get limited access to the Internet?
- Should Education be Free? English Essay
- Coronavirus: Coping With Viruses in the 21st Century: Are we ready?
- To Zoom or Not to Zoom – Is it Safe for Official meetings in 2020?
- Online Education : A Boon or A Curse?
- Citizenship Amendment Act – Confusion and Arguments Explained
- Merger of Banks in India – What are the advantages and disadvantages?
- Essay on why plastic has been banned in India for students
- Impact of COVID-19 on the World Economy
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Global Education and its Solution
- Essay on the importance of Computers in our life
- Essay on Importance of Discipline for success in life
- Essay on Terrorism
- Essay on Skill India Mission
- Essay on Renewable Sources of Energy
- Essay on Make in India Project
- Essay on Haritha Haram Program
- Essay on Corruption
- Ten tips on writing a good essay
- Essay on “My Aim in Life – to become an astronaut”
- Essay on the Importance of Education
- Essay on Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao
- Essay on Importance of sports and games
- Essay on Demonetization
- Essay on Pollution
- Essay on Water conservation
- Essay on Global Warming
- Essay on Diwali in English
- Essay on Holi in English
- Essay on Chandrayaan in English
- Essay on Women Empowerment in English
- Essay on Child labour in English
- Essay on Swachh Bharat Mission
- Contributions of DRDO in Indian Defence