Letter to the Editor Class 12 | Letter to Editor Format Examples
How to write a Letter to the Editor?
Letter to Editor Class 12 – A Letter to the Editor may be written to the editor of a newspaper or a magazine. It is written to highlight a social issue or problem. It can also be written in order to get it published in the said medium.
As it is a formal letter, the format has to be followed strictly. Only formal language can be used i.e. abbreviations and slang language should be avoided.
A letter to the editor is a formal letter and in the examination, students are asked to write a letter to the editor. Here, we have discussed a Letter to the Editor Sample for the convenience of the students.
Letter to the Editor Format for Class 12
Let us discuss the Letter to the Editor Format.
The format of a letter to the editor of a Newspaper is as follows –
1. Sender’s address: The address and contact details of the sender are written here. Include an email and phone number, if required or if mentioned in the question.
2. Date: The date is written below the sender’s address after Leaving one space or line.
3. Receiving Editor’s address: The address of the recipient of the mail i.e. the editor is written here.
4. Subject of the letter: The main purpose of the letterforms the subject. It must be written in one line. It must convey the matter for which the letter is written.
5. Salutation (Sir / Respected sir / Madam)
6. Body: The matter of the letter is written here. It is divided into 3 paragraphs as follows –
Paragraph 1: Introduce yourself and the purpose of writing the letter in brief.
Paragraph 2: Give detail of the matter.
Paragraph 3: Conclude by mentioning what you expect from the editor. (For example, you may want him to highlight the issue in his newspaper/magazine).
7. Complimentary Closing
8. Sender’s name, signature, and designation(if any)
If you want to see a solved example of a Letter to the Editor, please watch the video at the given link
Letter to the Editor Examples
Letter to Editor Example 1. You are Radha G, a member of NGO AWAAZ. Write a letter to the editor of a national daily for a public movement to clean the Yamuna river. (You must introduce yourself, describe how the people are to be blamed for polluting the river and suggest the need for installing water treatment plant to clean the river).
33, Jal Vihar
Wazirabad, New Delhi – 33
Dated: 17 February 2021
Subject: Need for people’s movement for the clean Yamuna
I am Radha G, member of NGO AWAAZ. I am writing to you in order to highlight the deteriorating condition of the river Yamuna.
The city of Delhi is getting contaminated water from the river Yamuna. The residents are to be blamed for this. They pollute the river with garbage, sewage, and filth. The river water is full of bacteria, plastic, chemicals, and other waste materials. It is unfit for consumption.
The people have been demanding a Water Treatment Plant. The authorities have not yet responded to the repeated requests.
I request you to highlight the problem in your newspaper and arouse public interest. We all need to get together in order to get the plant set up in the area.
Related – Informal Letter, Format, Tips, Examples
Letter to Editor Example 2. Gandhinagar is a thickly populated locality inhabited mainly by working-class people. Unfortunately, there is no Amul milk booth in the locality. Write a letter in 100 – 120 words to the editor of a local daily drawing the attention of the authorities to the problem faced by the people, requesting them to open a milk booth. You are Sham / Shobha, 4, Gandhinagar, Mumbai.
Dated: 15th March 2021
Subject: Absence of Amul milk booth in Gandhinagar
Respected Sir / Madam
I am Shobha, a resident of Gandhinagar. I am writing to you in order to raise the issue of the absence of an Amul milk booth in my locality.
Gandhinagar has a huge population that comprises daily wagers. Still, the area does not have an Amul milk booth. The residents face many problems as they have to walk upto 10 kilometers every morning to get their daily stock of milk and milk products. This has also led to black marketing. The people of the area are getting harassed.
As the situation is serious, I request you to highlight it through your newspaper so that the Amul authorities are sensitized towards it and do the needful.
Also See :
5. Order letter
- Learn English Writing Skills
- Essay writing in English, Topics, Examples, and Format
- Ten tips on writing a good essay
- Notice Writing for Class 12, Notice Format, Topics, Examples, Samples
- Class 10 English Lessons – Explanation
- Class 12 English Lessons Explanation