Letter to Government | Government official letter Format | Sample Letter to Government Agency
Letter to government is a type of formal letter. A formal letter is a letter which is written for an official purpose using a designated format and language.
- Letter to Government
- Letter to the Government Important Topics
- Letter to Government Format
- Letter to the Government Points to remember while making the format
- Letter to Government Tips
- Phrases to use for writing a formal Letter to the Government
- Letter to the Government Examples
- Letter to the government FAQs
Letter to Government
A letter to the government is a type of formal letter.
- It is written to inform the government (specifically to a government official) about a particular situation or
- make a request
- or any other official purpose
Letter to the Government Important Topics
- Helps the public to reach out to the government
- Helps the public to avail public services
- Helps the public to provide suggestions
- Bridges the gap between the government and the public
Letter to Government Format
Body of the letter
Letter to the Government Points to remember while making the format
- Sender’s address is usually written in 3-4 lines
- The subject of the letter should always be underlined
- Informal salutations like “Dear” or “My dear” should not be used
- The introductory paragraph of body should tell the purpose of the letter
- The main paragraph of the body should contain details of the letter
- The concluding paragraph should enclose the action required or request made
- “Yours truly/faithfully/sincerely” should be used as the complimentary close
Letter to Government Tips
- The authority should be addressed properly in a formal way.
- The problem/ issue should be mentioned clearly and precisely.
- A request should be made for the required action to be taken.
- Proper format should be followed.
- Remember to use formal language.
- Unnecessary or irrelevant details should not be provided.
- The letter should be short, crisp and not lengthy.
Phrases to use for writing a formal Letter to the Government
1. “I am writing to bring to your attention”
2. “I respectfully request your assistance in”
3. “I would be grateful if you could provide information on”
4. “I kindly request that you consider the following matter”
5. “I am writing to express my concern regarding”
6. “I kindly request your prompt attention to this matter”
7. “I look forward to your positive response”
8. “I would be honored if you could arrange a meeting to discuss”
9. “I would like to bring to your attention the following issue”
10. “Thank you for your time and consideration”
Letter to the Government Examples
Letter to Government Example 1: Write a letter to the Municipal Commissioner of your city regarding the poor quality and inadequate supply of the municipal water. You are the President of HWA of Gulmohar Colony, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. (100-120 words)
Street 5, H.No.432
Bhopal, MP- 450158
8 September 2020
Subject- Poor quality and inadequate supply of municipal water
I, on behalf of all the residents, write to draw your attention towards the poor quality and inadequate supply of municipal water in the area of Gulmohar Colony. We have been facing this inconvenience since a week now.
Earlier, there was regular supply of municipal water throughout the day. But now the situation is worrisome. The water is rarely available and the quality too, has deteriorated. It is pale in colour and has a foul smell. Due to this, it has become unfit for drinking and can neither be used for any other activity. The situation has become so bad that we are compelled to purchase bottled water or even consume ground water at times.
I hereby humbly request you to look into the grave issue and take the necessary action required to restore adequate supply of clean water in the area. I look forward to your cooperation at the earliest.
Related – 10 Examples of Letter to the Government
Letter to Government Example 2: Write a letter to the Municipal Commissioner of your city regarding the need for construction of pavement for the ease of pedestrians. You are a resident of Mysore District, Karnataka. Sign yourself as Hanish/ Hanisha. (100-120 words)
9 September 2020
Subject- Regarding the need for construction of pavement
Respected Sir/ Ma’am
I would like to draw your attention towards the rising traffic in the city and hence the need for pavement for pedestrian walking.
It is clearly evident that the traffic in the city is rising exponentially everyday. In such a situation, pedestrian walking is no less than a daring task as it exposes the people on foot to a lot of risk . Especially during the rush hours, it becomes really difficult to walk on roads. Moreover, the fact that side-walkers also include children and people of old age can not be ignored..
I agree that some parts of the city have well-constructed pavements but other areas have either been left out or have half-constructed pavement. Thus, I request you to look into this matter for the sake of safety and security of the citizens. I look forward to your cooperation and support at the earliest.
Letter to Government Example 3: You are the PR Manager of a NGO that aims for skill development in youth. Write a letter to the appropriate ministry asking for funds for a new project in less than 120 words. Sign yourself as Neeraj/Neerja.
8 Prithvi Raj Road
New Delhi- 110001
7 September 2020
Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship
Subject- Requesting for funds for project ‘Seekho aur Badho’
I would like to bring to your notice that our NGO named Daksh is aiming to develop skills amongst youth, especially focusing on the economically weaker sections.
Our aim is to develop and inject skills into the developing youth in order to make them self-sufficient and self-reliant. We strive to provide the young minds a chance to learn and upgrade their skills along with their basic education. It is not only necessary for them but for the economy as well because the youth of a country decides its future. Hence, I would like to make a kind request to provide us with the necessary funding required to undertake our new project. It has a budget of 6 lakhs.
I am positive that you would support us in the best possible manner for such a noble cause. I assure you that we would make the best use of the funds provided. I look forward to hearing from you.
PR Manager- NGO Daksh
Letter to Government Example 4: Your driving license is about to get expired in a month. Write a letter to the appropriate authority to renew your license. Sign yourself as Lakshay/Lakshita. (100-120 words)
639 Kamrup District
10 September 2020
The Licensing Authority
Department of Transport
Subject- Renewal of driving license no. GK-15-06-Q
I hereby make a request to renew my driving license numbered GK-15-06-Q which is due for expiration on 20 October 2020.
Sir, as my license is going to expire next month, I request you to kindly renew it before the due date. Otherwise, it will be troublesome for me as I use my vehicle to travel to the workplace. I have attached the copy of the original license and other necessary documents for the purpose of renewal.
I have already submitted the renewal form and made necessary payment for the renewal of license, the receipt of which is enclosed with the letter. Looking forward to your response.
Letter to Government Example 5: You are the president of HWA of your locality. There was heavy rainfall in your city due to which a tree fell down in your locality. Write a letter to the Municipal Corporation of your city to safely remove the tree in less than 120 words.
New Delhi- 110034
9 September 2020
The Municipal Commissioner
Subject- Requesting for removal of a fallen tree
I hereby write to draw your attention to a tree that fell down in the locality the day before yesterday due to the heavy rainfall in our area.
A tree has fallen down in the society and is restricting a lot of our daily activities. Children of our society are unable to play as the tree is covering a lot of area. Moreover, we are unable to park our vehicles properly or even take them out. Lastly, the vendors are unable to move around in the locality. I kindly request you to safely remove the tree from the place, for the ease of the residents.
I am positive that you would look into this matter and will take the necessary action. I look forward to your cooperation at the earliest.
Letter to the Government Example 6: You live in Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh. In your locality, the street lights are not well functioning and thus it gets really dark in the evening. Write a letter to the Municipal Corporation of your city regarding this problem. (100-120 words)
9 September 2020
Subject- Regarding the need for street lights
I would like to draw your attention towards the immediate need of street lights in the locality of Prem Nagar.
Sir, there are a very few functioning street lights in our locality. Majority of the street lights are either non-operational or not working properly. As the evening approaches, it gets really dark on the streets which makes walking an uphill task. Moreover, it makes the locality more prone to thievery and poses a danger to the safety of residents.
Therefore, I request you to look into the matter and make the facility of street lights available in our locality on a priority basis. Looking forward to your prompt response.
Letter to the government FAQs
1. How to address a letter to government official?
A1. The letter to government official can be addressed to the below mentioned authorities:
- Estate officer
- District collector
- Municipal commissioner
2. Is letter to government a type of formal letter?
A2. Yes, a letter to the government is a type of formal letter.
3. Give 5 important things to keep in mind while writing a letter to government.
A3. 5 important things to keep in mind while writing a letter to government are as follows:
- The subject should always be underlined.
- Informal salutations like “Dear” or “My dear” should be avoided.
- The content should be written in a clear and precise tone.
- Do not give irrelevant or unnecessary information.
- Proper format should be followed.
4. List down 10 important reasons for writing a letter to government.
A4. 10 important reasons for writing a letter to government are as follows:
- To reach out to the government to lodge a complaint (example damaged roads, inadequate water supply)
- To avail public services
- To provide suggestions to improve public facilities
- To make a request for new connection, etc
- To inform the government about an issue or situation
- To make changes in documents
- To intimate change in address or ownership
- To ask for information (RTI Act)
- To raise public grievance like blocked sewer or non functional street lights
- To invite an official at RWA Function
5. How should I start a letter to the local government official?
A5. You should start a letter to the government by first writing the introductory paragraph. The introductory paragraph explains the purpose of the letter in brief.
6. What is the format of a complaint letter to the government?
A6. The format of a complaint letter to the government is as follows:
Subject (what you are complaining about)
Body (details of the matter)
7. Give a step-by-step process of writing an official letter to the government officials.
A7. The step-by-step process of writing an official letter to the government officials is given in the following steps:
- Read the question carefully.
- Understand what the purpose of the letter is and what the question is asking us to write in the answer.
- Write the points in rough.
- Select the important ones and fair them out in the sense that the points go in a flow.
- Write the letter.
8. What is a letter to the government?
A8. A letter to the government is a formal letter written to the head of a particular department to address a particular issue the sender and his or her fellow citizens are facing.
Also See :
5. Order letter
- Learn English Writing Skills
- Essay writing in English, Topics, Examples, and Format
- Ten tips on writing a good essay
- CBSE Class 9 English Lessons Explanation, Summary
- CBSE Class 10 English Lesson – Explanation
- CBSE Class 12 English Lessons Explanation