Invitation Letter | Invitation Letter Format Class 12, Topics, Sample
By: Ruchika Gupta
Invitation Letter Format | Invitation Letter Sample for CBSE Class 12
What is an invitation?
Invitation Letter - An invitation is a written or verbal request inviting someone to go somewhere or to do something. An invitation is a request, a solicitation, or an attempt to get another person to join you at a specific event. When you ask people to attend a party, visit your beach house, or witness your marriage, you invite them by giving them an invitation.
It can be in the form of an invitation card which is generally considered as a formal invitation or it may be in the letter format which is more informal.
Class 12 English Writing skills - Invitation Letter and reply writing
In the class 12 CBSE English paper invitation and reply writing, choices will be given to attempt any one question out of the given two Short Answer Questions (4 marks each) based on any of the following –
- Notice writing
- Poster writing
- Formal and informal invitation and reply writing.
- Advertisement writing
The breakup of 6 marks for class 12 English writing skills - invitation and reply writing as per CBSE guidelines is as follows:
Invitation Letter Format and reply Writing Format for CBSE Class 12
Format of a formal invitation
The format shall include-
- Name of the host
- Standard expression (E.g., request the pleasure of your company, solicit your gracious presence)
- Purpose of the invitation
- Name of the honouree
- Day, date and time of the event- Dates must be written in letters and you should not use abbreviation.
- Name of the place, location with complete address- Enter the address, the venue of the party or event
- RSVP (Respond if it pleases you)- Include an RSVP - this elegant abbreviation comes from the French phrase "Répondez, s'il vous plait"; which in English means "Please respond". An RSVP is essential at parties where you need to know exactly who will come, so you can organize things accordingly on the basis of their convenience.
- Telephone or mobile number or address of the host
- Any other relevant details
Name of the host
Format of an informal invitation
SENDER’s ADDRESS- The sender’s address is usually put on the top right-hand corner of the page.
DATE (In expanded) - The sender’s address is followed by the date just below it, i.e. on the right side of the page. This is the date on which the invitation is being written. It is to be written in expanded form.
SUBJECT- Then we sum up the purpose of writing the invitation in one line. This helps the receiver focus on the subject of the invitation in one glance. It is important to underline the subject.
SALUTATIONS- This is where you greet the person you are addressing the invitation to.
COMPLEMENTARY CLOSURE- Mention the name given in the question paper. Do not mention your personal details.
Features of a Formal invitation are as follows-
- The invitation should be written in third person and not in first or second person.
- Simple present tense is used.
- A polite and courteous tone should be used.
- It is a single sentence presentation.
- No signatures required.
- Dates must be written in letters and you should not use abbreviation. However, date of writing must not be mentioned.
- It ought to explain why the party or event is being held, "to celebrate..." or "to honour..."
- Length as per CBSE guidelines is limited to 50 words.
- It is generally enclosed in a box.
- It should answer to the 5Ws:
- WHAT- The occasion
- WHEN- Date and time
- WHERE- Venue
- WHO- Name of the host
WHOM- Name of the person being invited
Features of an informal invitation are as follows-
- They are written to friends, relatives, and acquaintances.
- They follow the pattern of ordinary personal letters.
- They are written in first/second person.
- The style and tone is relaxed and informal.
- Different tenses are used as per the demand.
- The letter can be elaborative explaining the details of the event.
The features of a reply are as follows -
- A formal reply is usually very short. It is brief and to the point. The quality of a good reply is that it is always pleasant.
- Even while declining the invitation or expressing inability to attend, one must be polite and courteous.
- Formal replies demand a formal tone and treatment. There is no room for unnecessary details or superfluous matter in them.
- An informal reply or private letter may, however, express personal feeling or desires in an intimate style and informal tone.
The main characteristics of a formal reply are as follows:
• Acknowledge the invitation.
• Express thanks in the third person.
• Mention acceptance/regret.
• Specify the reason for the refusal.
• Be brief and specific.
• be formal in tone and treatment.
The main characteristics of an informal reply are as follows:
• Acknowledge the invitation in the first person.
• Use the second person for the sender of invitation.
• Mention acceptance/regret
• Specify the reason in case of refusal.
• Use warm and simple language.
* Do not exceed the word limit (usually 50)
SUGGESTED VALUE POINTS AS PER CBSE GUIDELINES:
Suggested value points
– invite the artiste
– what - school organising one-act play competition
– date, time, venue
– details of the event - classes involved, theme, category (interschool / inter-house)
– request to confirm
– any other relevant details.
Invitation Letter and reply writing Examples
Invitation and reply - solved questions
Below are a few solved questions for you so that you get an idea as to how to attempt class 12 English writing skills -invitation and reply writing question well. Remember, the more you read and practice, the better it is. As per, CBSE guidelines, it should not exceed the prescribed word limit.
1. You are Faiz/Falak Mazumdar living at 39, Udampur Colony, Shimla. You decide to hold a dinner party to congratulate your grandparents on their golden wedding anniversary. Draft a formal invitation in not more than 50 words to all family members to attend a grand dinner at home. 4
Faiz/ Falak Mazumdar
request the pleasure of your benign presence
at the grand dinner
on the auspicious occasion of the
GOLDEN WEDDING ANNIVERSARY
39, Udampur Colony, Shimla
At 8:30 pm
18 MARCH, 20XX
39, Udampur Colony
01 March, 20XX
Dear Uncle/ Aunt/ any other family member
On the auspicious occasion of the Golden Wedding Anniversary of my grandparents, I invite you to the grand dinner at my residence. The dinner is scheduled to be on 18 March at 8:30 pm. Kindly confirm your presence by 15 March.
Faiz/ Falak Mazumdar
2. Write an invitation in not more than 50 words to your friend Rameshwari to spend her winter break with you in Mumbai. You are Puja/Puneet of 25, M.G. Road, Mumbai.
25, M.G. Road
10 December, 20XX
As the winters are approaching, I invite you to spend the winter break with me at my house in Mumbai. At that time, the weather here is pleasant due to sea winds. I will introduce you to my parents and close relatives. Kindly confirm your arrival by mid- December.
3. On 30th November, your school is going to hold its annual sports day. You want Mr. Dhanraj Pillai, a noted hockey player to give away the prizes to the budding sportspersons of the school. Write a formal invitation in about 50 words requesting him to grace the occasion. You are Karuna/ Karan, Sports Secretary, Sunrise Global School, Agra.
Sunrise Global School
01 November, 20XX
Our school is organising its Annual Sports Day on 30th November, 20XX. Your gracious presence will act as a catalyst and inspire us all. You are requested to hand over the prizes to the budding sportspersons of the school in our school ground at 2 pm.
Kindly confirm your availability by 20, November.
BELOW IS THE LINK TO THE SAMPLE PAPER 2018-10 ALONG WITH IT'S MARKING SCHEME:
ALL THE BEST.
- Class 9 English Explanation, Summary
- Class 10 English - Explanation
- Class 12 English Lessons Explanation
- Free Online English Test - MCQ Test Series