Letter to Police | Letter to Police Example, Topics | Sample of Letter to Police
Letter to police is a type of formal letter. A formal letter is a letter which is written for an official purpose using a designated format and language.
- Letter to Police Meaning
- Letter to Police Importance
- Letter to Police Format
- Letter to Police Points to remember
- Letter to Police Tips
- Letter to police Example
Letter to Police Meaning
A Letter to the Police is a type of formal letter.
- It is written to inform the police (or police official) about a certain situation, to lodge a complaint or any other sort of disturbance/ problem faced by the sender.
- It is a letter, which requests the police to take the necessary action in order to solve the issue mentioned in the letter.
- It clearly mentions the situation and is to the point.
Related – Letter Writing Format, Formal Letter, Informal Letter, Types, Samples
Letter to Police Importance
- Helps to reach out in case of any issue
- Helps to raise public voice
- Helps the police to resolve public grievances
- Helps in maintaining law and order
- Ensures that society works under an ethical framework
Letter to Police Format
Body of the letter
Related – Letter to the Editor, Format, Sample and Examples
Letter to Police Points to remember while making the format
- Sender’s address is usually written in 3-4 lines
- The subject of the letter should always be underlined
- Informal salutations like “Dear” or “My dear” should not be used
- The introductory paragraph of body should tell the purpose of the letter
- The main paragraph of the body should contain details of the event/problem/issue
- The concluding paragraph should enclose the action required or request made
- “Yours truly/faithfully/sincerely” should be used as the complimentary close
Letter to Police Tips
- The authority should be addressed properly.
- The problem/ issue should be mentioned clearly and precisely.
- The date, time, place of the occurrence should be mentioned, if any.
- A request should be made for the required action to be taken.
- Proper format should be followed.
- Remember to use formal language.
- Unnecessary or irrelevant details should not be provided.
- The letter should be short, crisp and not lengthy.
Letter to police Example | Letter to Police Sample
Letter to Police Example 1: Write a letter to the Police Inspector of your area informing about an attempted theft that took place in your house. You are Naresh/Neelam. (100-120 words)
House No. 684
Punjabi Bagh West
New Delhi- 110026
06 September 2020
The Police Inspector
West Delhi District
Subject- Regarding theft attempt in house number 684 on 5 September 2020
I hereby write this letter to inform you that there was an attempted theft in my house, numbered 684 during the afternoon hours of 5 September 2020.
The thief tried to break in through the back entrance, after climbing down from the roof. Fortunately, he was seen by the neighbour who informed us on time. My wife and daughter were alarmed and informed the society guard. However, the guard was unable to catch him and the burglar ran away. I have attached a CCTV recording with the letter. It may prove useful to identify the suspect.
There have been quite a number of theft cases in our area for the past few weeks. Since it is a matter of our safety, I request to look into this matter and take the necessary action at the earliest. Looking forward to your kind assistance in this matter.
Related – Leave Application Format, Types, Tips, Samples
Letter to Police Example 2: You are Sunil/ Sunita. Your exams are approaching but the neighbours play loud music even past the appropriate time. This has caused a lot of disturbance. Write a letter to police regarding this matter in no more than 120 words.
House No. 18/521
Borivali East, Mumbai
10 September 2020
The Deputy Superintendent of Police
Borivali East, Mumbai
Subject- Regarding disturbance in the neighbourhood
I want to draw your kind attention to the issue of nuisance being created in my neighbourhood. It is very troublesome.
Sir, the residents of house no. 18/519 play music all day and night at a high volume. They use loudspeakers, even past 10 pm, which makes it impossible for us to do any other activity. Since my exams are around the corner, it is important to study but loud music makes it impossible to focus and concentrate. The president of the Housing Welfare Association has tried to talk to them but all his efforts have gone in vain.
I request you to look into this matter as soon as possible and take the rectifying action. I look forward to your cooperation.
Letter to Police Example 3: Your car got stolen last week for which you had filed a report at the police station. Write a letter to the police inquiring about the case and its progress. Sign yourself as Sameer/Sonal. (100-120 words)
102, Sector 6
New Delhi- 110063
8 September 2020
The Sub Inspector
Subject- Inquiring about complaint number 23/T-08/2020
I hereby write to inquire about a complaint filed on 29 August 2020 regarding a stolen car w.r.t. complaint number 23/T-08/2020.
Sir, when my Hyundai car got stolen, I filed a complaint the following day. It has been two weeks but I haven’t received any update on the complaint filed. It was a new car, so I request you to look into the case as speedily as possible. Otherwise, I need to process the insurance for the car to recover the amount.
It is a kind request to provide an update on the progress of the case and report any new findings. I ensure full cooperation from my end. I have enclosed a copy of the complaint for your reference. Looking forward to your timely response.
Letter to Police Example 4: Your bag got stolen in the metro. Write a letter to the police filing a complaint for the same. Sign yourself as Akshit/Akshita. (100-120 words)
18/963 Uttam Nagar
8 September 2020
The Sub inspector
Subject- Filing complaint regarding bag that was stolen in metro
I wish to report about a bag that was stolen from Subhash Nagar metro station while I was travelling back from my workplace around 7 pm on 7 September 2020.
I board the metro everyday from Uttam Nagar West station and exit at Rajiv Chowk. Yesterday, my bag was stolen while I was returning. It is a black-coloured leather bag. The items in the bag were as follows-
- some official documents
- Apple iPad
- 20000 INR
I request you to file a complaint for my stolen bag and take quick action to find it at the earliest. Looking forward to your response and cooperation.
Related – Informal Letter | Informal Letter Format, Topics, Examples
Letter to Police Example 5: You are a college going student. While returning from college, you see some boys hitting street dogs with sticks and stones. Write a letter to the police informing them about the same. (100-120 words)
P-584 Sector 5
10 September 2020
The Sub Inspector
New Delhi- 110038
Subject- Regarding harassment of street dogs
I want to highlight that there are some boys who tease and harass street dogs near XYZ College.
I go home back from the College, I notice boys throwing sticks and stones on street dogs. It has been a few days and they have been doing it repetitively. It is unfair to treat animals with such cruelty. It is an act of animal cruelty and hence those boys should be punished for performing this act.
Therefore, I request you to kindly look into this matter and take the necessary action. Looking forward to your quick response.
Letter to Police Example 6: You live in Amravati District, Nagpur. You have noticed some non-residents enter your locality frequently and create nuisance. Write a letter to the police station of your area to complain about this happening. (100-120 words)
House no. 698
9 September 2020
The Police Superintendent
Subject- Unusual entry of non-residents in locality
I am a resident of Amravati District living in Neelam Apartments. I want to draw your attention to the unusual entry of some non-residents into the locality.
I have been observing that some non-residents enter our locality everyday at around 6pm on their motorbikes and create nuisance by driving speedily through the narrow lanes. The guard tries to stop them from entering, however all in vain. The warnings of the president haven’t brought any changes in their behaviour as well.
It is high time that an action should be taken. Therefore, I kindly request you to take this matter into consideration and take the rectifying step. Looking forward to your early response.
Also See :
4. Application for School/College leaving Certificate
5. Order letter
10. Letter to the Bank manager
13. Leave application for school, College, Office Samples
14. Leave Application for marriage
15. Leave Application for maternity
17.Letter to the Principal, Format, Samples
- Learn English Writing Skills
- Essay writing in English, Topics, Examples, and Format
- Ten tips on writing a good essay
- CBSE Class 9 English Lessons Explanation, Summary
- CBSE Class 10 English Lesson – Explanation
- CBSE Class 12 English Lessons Explanation