How to Write a Letter to Principal? Format and Examples
A Letter to Principal is a type of Formal letter written to the Principal of a school or college from students and parents. One can write a formal letter to Principal for various reasons like a request letter seeking leave due to illness, seeking leave due to family function, seeking admission, course details, etc. Here we have covered the Format of a letter to the principal. Students, teachers and parents can see the various templates that can be used to write a letter to principal for various purposes
- Letter to Principal Format
- Letter to Principal Examples – Sample Letters to the Principal
- Letter to principal FAQs
- 10 Example Letters to the Prinicpal (Extra Examples)
Letter to Principal Format
A Letter to Principal has to be written as a formal letter. One has to have a particular reason for which one writes a letter to the Principal or the head of an institution. This reason forms the subject of the letter. While writing a letter to Principal one must follow the following points –
- It should be precise and should mention the reason clearly.
- The format of a formal letter has to be followed strictly.
- Use of abbreviations, slang language and contractions must be avoided while writing a letter to the Principal.
- The subject line must clearly mention the purpose for which the letter is being written.
- In case one is seeking leave via a leave application, one must clearly mention the dates for which leave is sought.
Now let us have a look at the format of a letter to Principal that should be followed-
- Sender’s address: The address and contact details of the sender are written here. Include an email and phone number, if required or if mentioned in the question.
- Date: The date is written below the sender’s address after Leaving one space or line.
- Receiver’s address: The address of the recipient of the mail (here, the principal).
- The subject of the letter: The main purpose of the letter forms the subject. It must be written in one line. It must convey the matter for which the letter is written.
- Salutation (Sir / Respected Sir / Madam)
- Body: The matter of the letter is written here. It is divided into 3 paragraphs as follows –
Paragraph 1: Introduce yourself and the purpose of writing the letter in brief.
Paragraph 2: Give detail of the matter.
Paragraph 3: Conclude by mentioning what you expect. (For example, grant of leave, acceptance of invitation, etc).
- Complimentary Closing
- Sender’s name, signature and designation (if any)
|Body of the letter
|Sender’s Name, signature and designation
Letter to Principal Examples – Sample Letters to the Principal
- Leave letter to Principal seeking leave for attending cousin’s wedding ceremony.
- Letter to Principal informing her that you are COVID Positive and are seeking leave on medical grounds.
- Sick leave application to the Principal.
- Leave application to the Principal for attending cousin sister’s engagement
- Leave application by a school teacher who is ill due to Monkey Virus.
- Leave letter by college lecturer to the Principal for personal work.
- Letter to principal seeking details for admission to school
- Letter to Principal seeking re-examination
- You are Jane / Jack, a student of Modern school, Mumbai. Write a letter to the Principal seeking leave for attending your cousin’s wedding ceremony in Delhi.
June 16, 2022
Subject: Request for leave to attend cousin’s marriage
I, Jack, am a student in your prestigious institution. I respectfully beg that you grant me a five-day leave of absence to attend my cousin’s wedding. My cousin’s family resides in Delhi, thus I won’t be able to attend the ceremony until I get leave. The event will take place on June 20. I’d want to take a leave from June 20 to June 25, which is from Monday to Thursday.
I talked about this with my class teacher, who promised me that she would provide me all the notes of the classes that I would be missing. My classmates have volunteered to assist me as well. I humbly request that you grant me leave permission.
- You are Raman / Ranjana, a student of PPS, Kozikode. Write a letter to Principal informing her that you are COVID Positive and are seeking leave on medical grounds for two weeks.
June 16, 2022
Subject: Request for sick leave
I am Raman, a student at your esteemed institute. I sincerely request that you grant me two weeks’ leave because I am suffering from COVID-19, for which I have been diagnosed positive. As you may be aware, allowing a COVID patient in the public is not adviseable.
It is dangerous for both me and everyone else. In addition, I am constantly weary, have breathing problems, a deadly cough, and a slew of other issues that make it unthinkable for me to attend school. I am aware that I will be missing two weeks of work, but the doctor as advised me to quarantine myself. As a result, I respectfully beg that you grant me two weeks’ leave to stay in quarantine.
- You are Jina a student of Prarthna Public School, Delhi. You are sick and need leave from school for two days. Write a letter to Principal for the same.
June 16, 2022
Prarthna Public School
Subject: Request for two days sick leave
It is said with respect that I, Jina, am a student at your institution. I respectfully beg that you allow me two days of sick leave since I am suffering from fever and the doctor has advised me to take rest for two days. For your records, I will enclose a copy of my medical certificate with my application.
As a result, I respectfully request that you pardon my absence from school for the 16th and 17th of June. Kindly grant me leave for these two days.
- Your cousin sister is getting engaged and you have to attend the function at Jodhpur. You are Mohinder, a student of Jain School, Agra. Write a letter to the Principal for a leave of two days.
June 16, 2022
Subject: Request for leave to attend Sister’s engagement
I would like to introduce myself as Mohinder, a student at your institution. I want to inform you that I am writing to you to request a leave for two days. I have to attend my cousin sister’s engagement function at Jodhpur. The date of the engagement is 22 June. I want leave from June 22nd to June 23rd, 2022. My cousin is very close to me and she would be glad to have me beside her on this important occasion.
Kindly allow me leave for my cousin sister’s engagement. I would be grateful to you.
- You are Madhu, a school teacher. You are ill due to Monkey Virus and the doctor has advised quarantine for two weeks. Write a letter to school principal informing her about the same and seeking a leave.
June 16, 2022
Subject: Request for two weeks leave
I am Madhu, and am a teacher at your respected school. I respectfully beg that you allow me two weeks’ absence because I am suffering from Monkey Virus. It would be extremely risky if I move in crowds because it is highly contagious.
It is perilous for both me and the rest of the group. In addition, I have a persistent temperature, muscle aches, weariness, and a variety of other issues. I am aware that I will be out of work for two weeks, but I feel forced to isolate myself. As a result, I humbly request two weeks’ leave from work to be in quarantine.
- You are Paras, a lecturer at the Government College, Ludhiana. Write a letter to Principal informing her that you have 6 earned leaves due and want a week off to attend the Surajkund Mela where your brother has set up a handicrafts’ stall.
June 16, 2022
Subject: Request for a week off
I am Paras, a lecturer at your prestigious college. I sincerely request that you give me a week off to attend the Surajkund Mela. My brother has set up a handicrafts’ stall, so I will have to accompany him and assist him. I will not be able to make it to the event until I have some time off. The event will be from June 20th – 25th, 2022. I’d like to take a leave from Monday to Sunday, June 20 to June 26, 2022.
I would like to inform you that I have six earned leaves due, and I have requested colleagues to take extra classes during my class. Kindly allow me permission for the same.
Letter writing format to Principal from Parents
- You are Sakshi / Saksham, you want to admit your child to class IX in New Modern School, Dehradun. Write a letter to the Principal seeking details about the admission procedure, fees required, hostel facility, any fee waiver, etc.
101 / 3, Modi Colony
Date: 5 July 2022
New Modern School
Subject – Admission of my ward to class IX
Sir / Madam
Herein I respectfully state that my ward, Sheenam is a student of Class VIII at Bal Vikas School. I want to shift her to your esteemed institution in class IX and so, I am writing to you for some information on the same.
My ward is a bright student and excels in academics. She is also good in sports and participates in all co-curricular activities as well. I want to provide her a better standard of education and as your esteemed institution is deemed to be the best, I want her to benefit from the skills imparted here.
For the purpose of her admission I want to know about the detailed admission procedure, additional subjects offered, fees details, any concessions available (she is my single girl child) and any other important information that you deem necessary.
Kindly respond at the earliest so that I can take the required action.
Sakshi / Shubham
- You are Prerna / Pratham parent of Akshay, a student of class VI of Global School, Ranchi. Write a letter to Principal of the school seeking re-examination as your ward was ill with COVID.
Letter writing format to Principal from Parents
6 July 2022
Subject – Request for re-examination
Sir / Madam
Herein, I want to inform you that my ward Akshay is a student of class VI in your school. In the recently concluded examinations, he could not appear in the last examination of Mathematics held on 28 June as he was on leave.
My ward was ill due to COVID and was on medical leave for a week from 26 June to 4 July. Now he is fine and has resumed classes. However, he was unable to appear in the Mathematics exam held on 28 June. As the school has announced that any unwell child must not attend school and that re-examination will be done when the child resumes school, please fix a date for re-examination of my ward too.
Please reply at the earliest so that we can prepare for the examination.
Prerna / Pratham
Letter to principal FAQs
1. How should I write a letter to the principal?
A1. You should write a letter to the Principal according to the proper format. The format is given below:
Sender’s details (Nmae, class)
2. What should I write in a letter to the principal for leave?
A2. In a letter to the Principal for leave, you should mention the following points:
- The reason why you are taking a leave
- The duration of the leave
- Medical documents are attached in case of sick leave
- Copy of the wedding card is attached in case of leave to attend wedding function.
3. Give 5 sample topics for letter to the principal.
A3. 5 sample topics for a letter to the Principal are as follows:
- Write a leave application to the Principal of your child’s school as he/she is suffering from illness.
- Write an pplication for leave to the school principal seeking leave for attending a wedding function. You are Garima, the mother of Aashima, a student of class 5 in DAV School, Lucknow.
- Your child cannot attend school because she has to attend a chess competition. Write a leave application to the school principal for the same.
- You are a student of class 11 in Shishu Niketan School, Delhi. You want to change stream / subjects. Write a letter for the same to the principal.
- You are a teacher at Vidya Mandir, Jhansi. Write a leave application for school leave to the school principal as you are getting married.
4. Is the letter to the principal an informal letter?
A4. No, a letter to the principal is a formal letter.
5. Who can write a letter to the principal?
A5. Students, parents, guardians and teachers can write a letter to the Principal.
6. What complimentary closing can be used in a letter to the principal?
A6. ‘Yours sincerely’ and ‘Yours truly’ are the most commonly used and appropriate complimentary closing phrases for the letter to the Principal.
7. Define a letter to the principal.
A7. The letter to the Principal is a formal letter writing piece which, as the name suggests, is written to the Principal, Headmaster or Dean of a school, college or institution.
8. What should I mention in the conclusion of a letter to the principal?
A8. In conclusion, we can put more stress on the urgency of the issue and that we want the reply to come as early as possible.
9. What is the format of writing the date in a letter to the principal?
A9. The month in the date is written without any abbreviations. The month is written first, then the date in numbers, which is followed by a comma and the year. For example – October 31, 2023.
10. What are the different reasons for writing a letter to the principal?
A10. Some reasons to write a letter to the Principal are as follows:
- Application for school leave by student or student’s parents or guardian due to illness.
- Application for school leave by student or student’s parents or guardian due to function.
- Letter of exemption from examination by student or student’s parents or guardian due to a competition.
- Request authorisation of change of stream or subjects
- Application for school leave by teacher due to his or her marriage.
Also See :
5. Order letter