Speech Writing Format sor Class 11 and 12, Topics and Examples
Speech Writing Explained
Your guide for writing the perfect speech in your class 11, 12 examinations. In this article you will learn all about speech writing, Format of Speech writing, examples and also solutions to previous years English question papers. Don’t miss out the tips for writing a great speech in English.
What is a speech?
Speech refers to a formal address or discourse delivered to an audience.
Speech writing Class 11,12
Speech Writing – In an examination, nothing is written purposelessly. All the writing tasks have a purpose. Before writing a speech, make sure you are writing to inform people, to persuade them, to convince them, or to entertain them. Clarity of purpose will ensure clarity in the choice of style and vocabulary.
In the writing section (Section-B of Class 12 English paper), Speech writing comes as a Very long answer type question (10 marks) with the maximum prescribed word limit of 150-200 words.
Generally, there is a choice (internal) between the following:-
3. Speech writing
Talking about marks, it comes as a 10 marks question. The breakup of marks for class 12 English writing skills – speech writing (as per CBSE Marking scheme) is as follows:-
|Format (opening address and conclusion)||01 mark|
Speech Writing Format Class 11, 12
Speech Writing Format – In order to write a perfect speech, we must be well acquainted with the topic and must possess a wide range of vocabulary, a thorough knowledge of the subject, some research, and excellent organizational skills. Here are the ideal format and tips to help you write your perfect speech.
A perfect speech must consist of:-
1. HEADING– The heading should be catchy and in not more than 5-6 words. You can go as creative as you want with this one just make sure you do not devote too much time to it in the exam.
2. OPENING LINE- This includes salutations, introduction, and the topic. Make sure you do not mention your personal details (name, school name, etc.).
Speech writing Example – Respected Principal, teachers, and my dear friends! Today, I (the name is given in the question) stand before you all to speak on the topic “(given in the question)”.
OR you could start with a quote related to the topic and then go with the salutations and introduction.
1. BODY- It is the main part of your writing piece.
2. It is always prescribed that you begin with a short introduction on the topic, it’s meant to be precise.
3. Then you need to explain the current situation, the problems (if any), and whether after any corrective actions, betterment in the situation has been observed or not.
4. It may include advantages/ disadvantages depending upon the topic in question.
5. Now here, it is important you follow a sequence. It is possible that you have too many points or very few points. When you have a lot of varied points, it is better you choose a few best ones and write a line on each. In case you have very few already, explain them in at least two lines each.
6. You have to strictly follow the prescribed word limit in a limited time frame so just do not go on writing and writing.
7. MOST IMPORTANT- Always begin with your strongest point. You can accommodate the weaker ones in between and end with another strong point.
8. Feel free to give your personal opinion in one or two lines.
9. It is very important that you do not deviate from the topic. There are chances you may get ideas linking from one to another that may deviate you from the main point. You have to refrain from doing so.
10. SOLUTION/CONCLUDING PARAGRAPH- Now, it is to be remembered that wherever you elaborate a problem, you always have to mention the steps being taken to improvise the situation and suggest a few solutions as well.
Now, it would be great if you could add a few quotes relating to motivating the people to take action.
Here also, the rule of STRONG-WEAK-STRONG applies.
1. Last but not the least, the concluding line, thanking the audience for their cooperation and their patience. It is very important to conclude what you’ve started. Never leave a speech or for that matter, any of your answers open-ended.
Below is an example from the Sample Paper by CBSE.
SPEECH WRITING: IMPORTANCE OF CLEANLINESS
Suggested value points:
• Importance of Cleanliness – School, home & Surroundings
• Present status
• Prevents diseases
• Need to practice?
• Reflects the character of the nation
• Benefits of Cleanliness
Speech Writing Tips for Class 11 and 12
Tips on Speech writing – Here are a few valuable tips for you to attempt the class 12 English writing skills – speech writing question in a better way-
1. Make sure you use language which is suitable for the audience you are addressing. Usage of complex vocabulary for addressing children is not advisable.
2. Usage of quotes is highly recommended. Quotes can be used at the time of commencement or as an ending statement. A quote in the middle of the speech would also be fine.
3. Make sure you write in paragraphs.
4. Practice previous year question papers.
5. Read as many samples as you can. It will give you an idea as to how they are actually written.
6. Read newspaper editorials or opinions. They give new ideas and opinions that may help during exams.
7. Plan before you pen. Just make a list of all your important points on the rough sheet (last sheet of your answer booklet) so that you do not forget relevant points while writing. This also helps you in maintaining a sequence, which is very important.
8. The presentation is very important.
9. Make sure you double-check for grammatical accuracy and spellings. They carry marks.
10. Leave an adequate number of lines between paragraphs to make it look clean.
11. Underlining the main points is very important. But it is advised to do it after finishing your exam. Use a pencil and scale for underlining.
12. Always have a few general quotes in handy. They help in the presentation and show that you’re prepared.
Speech Writing Examples
Speech Writing Question Answers – Previous Years solved questions (Sample)
Below are a few solved questions for you so that you get an idea as to how to attempt class 12 English writing skills – speech writing question well. Remember, the more you read and practice, the better it is. As per, CBSE guidelines, it should not exceed the prescribed word limit of 150-200 words.
1. As Mukul / Mahima of Alps Public School, write a speech to be delivered in school assembly highlighting the importance of cleanliness suggesting that the state of cleanliness reflects the character of its citizens. (150-200 words) (10)
(CBSE Sample Question Paper 2018-19)
IMPORTANCE OF CLEANLINESS.
In the words of the great John Wesley,
“Cleanliness is next to godliness”
Good Morning respected principal, teachers, and my dear friends. Today, I, Mukul/Mahima, stand before you all, to highlight the importance of cleanliness.
Cleanliness is the state or quality of being clean or being kept clean. It is essential for everyone to learn about cleanliness, hygiene, sanitation and the various diseases that are caused due to poor hygienic conditions. It is crucial for physical well-being and maintaining a healthy environment at home and at school. An unclean environment is an invitation for a lot of mosquitoes to breed in and spread deadly diseases. On the other hand, not maintaining personal hygiene leads to a lot of skin problems and decreased immunity.
The habits learnt at a young age get embedded into one’s personality. Even if we inculcate certain habits like washing hands before and after meals, regular brushing and bathing from a young age, we are not bothered about keeping public places clean. For this, on 2nd October, 2014, the Indian Prime Minister launched a nation-wide cleanliness campaign, “Swachh Bharat” to provide sanitation facilities to every family, including toilets, solid and liquid waste disposal systems, village cleanliness, and safe and adequate drinking water supply. Teachers and students of schools are joining this ‘Clean India Campaign’ very actively with great fervour and joy.
Good health will ensure a healthy mind, which will lead to increased overall productivity resulting in higher standards of living, thus developing the economy. It will boost India’s international image. Thus, a clean environment is a green environment with less people falling ill. Cleanliness, hence, is defined to be the emblem of purity of mind.
2. You are Ali/Alia, Head girl / Head boy of your school. You are deeply disturbed by the rising cases of aggressive behaviour of students in your school. You decide to speak during the morning assembly about it. Write a speech on ‘Indiscipline in Schools’. (150 – 200 words) (10)
(CBSE ALL INDIA Board 2017-18)
INDISCIPLINE IN SCHOOLS
It has been reported that number of fights and cases of bullying has gone up tremendously in the last few months in our school.
Good morning to one and all present here. Today, I, Ali/Alia, your head boy/girl stand before you to throw light upon the grave issue of “Increasing Indiscipline in Schools”.
It has been brought into lime light that disobedience of teachers, bullying, fights with peers, truancy and insults is becoming a common trend. Not only this, there have been complaints of parents witnessing a shift in their children’s attitude. This is resulting in a lot of children getting hurt emotionally, mentally and physically. The impact this attitude is having on kids at early age is disastrous and irreversible.
Not to forget the damage that has been done to the school property. Stealing chalks, scribbling on desks, walls and washroom doors, destroying CCTV cameras and the list goes on. By doing this, we are only letting us deprive ourselves of the amenities being provided to us.
After a lot of meetings, lack of proper guidance, excessive use of social media and peer pressure have been observed to be the root causes of the problem. The counsel is taking steps to improve the situation. Life skill classes are being made mandatory for everyone. Teachings will include counselling, motivation and inculcating friendly values. Seminars for parents and students will be regularly organised. A counsellor to help you all share your feelings, grudges and sharing your personal problem is being made available. We are doing everything we can and expect the same from you.
So, let’s join our hands together and build an environment where we encourage, motivate, help and be kind to each other for we are good and civilised beings capable of a lot of love.
3. The recent rise in incidents of violent behaviour of students is a matter of concern for all. The problem can be curbed if students learn how to manage anger. Write a speech on the topic in 150-200 words to be delivered in the school morning assembly. (10)
(CBSE COMPARTMENT JULY 2018)
HOW TO MANAGE ANGER
Honourable Principal, Respected teachers and my dear friends, today I would like to share with you few “Ways to Manage Anger”.
The growing intolerance among the new generation resulting in violence towards teachers is a matter of grave concern. The old-age guru-shishya parampara is losing its sheen. Aggressiveness in students may be triggered by several things: as a self-defence reaction, stressful situation, over-stimulation or lack of adult supervision.
It has become the need of the hour to curb the situation. Life skills classes shall be inculcated in the time-table. Teachers should be given training to handle such defiant and hostile behaviour. Meditation and deep breathing also helps and thus, should be practiced every morning. Students must be taught to count till 10 before reacting in anger. Also, sessions on anger management and it’s far-reaching importance must be held.
Remember, Anger is one letter short of danger. It makes it all the more important to be able to diffuse one’s anger. It’s never too late to begin because a wise man once said,
“For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of your peace of mind.”
4. Write a speech in 150-200 words on ‘Benefits of early rising’ to be delivered by you in the morning assembly of your school. You are Karuna/Karan, Head Girl/Head Boy. (10)
BENEFITS OF EARLY RISING
Honourable Principal, Respected teachers and my dear friends, today I, Karuna/Karan, your Head Girl/Head Boy stand before you all to highlight the far-reaching “Benefits of Early-rising”.
“Early to bed and early to rise, makes a person healthy, wealthy and wise.”
The words of Benjamin Franklin have been backed by science. It has been proved that morning people are persistent and proactive. It leads to better performance, greater success, and higher standards of living. Rising up early also relieves stress and tension because it gives you the time to squeeze in a workout before you get distracted. This is why; morning people tend to be healthier and happier as well as have lower body mass indexes.
For this, one needs to maintain a proper schedule and has to go to bed on time. You should restrict the usage of gadgets immediately before going to bed and these tiny steps will help you become an early riser. Researchers have also said that early morning is the best time to study and gain knowledge. This will help you in staying ahead in the class and keep your grades up. Most entrepreneurs are early risers as they believe it is the key to a successful, happy and content life.
Hence, if you don’t develop a habit of waking up before the rest of the world, you won’t be able to change the world.
5. Your PGT English Ms. Geetha is a short story writer also. ‘Sky is not Far’ is a collection of her latest short stories. This book has won a national award. Write a speech in 150 – 200 words you will deliver in her honour in the morning assembly. (10)
(CBSE DELHI – 2017)
IN HONOUR OF Ms. GEETHA’S ACHIEVEMENT
Good morning everyone! Today, I stand before you all to bring into limelight the “Commendable Achievements of our PGT English teacher Ms. Geetha”.
Ms. Geetha has made all of us proud by winning the National Award for her book “SKY IS NOT FAR”. The book is all about the infinite possibilities in life and that there is no such word as “impossible”. The word itself says, “I M POSSIBLE”. Nothing is unachievable if we have decided what we want and are working for it. It is very important to have a positive outlook and be fearless.
Through her book, she has given us all hope and motivation.
We all know what an articulate writer she is; she masters the art of short story-writing. She has contributed immensely and profoundly to the school’s literary society. Her works have a special place in the school library. A versatile writer, as she is, she has written books on various themes. Her other books are a work of triumph.
Thus, we congratulate her on this very special occasion. It is a proud moment not only for her, but for the entire school. She has set an example for all of us. Indeed, the sky is not far.
Once again, Congratulations, ma’am! Today is your day.
BELOW IS THE LINK TO THE SAMPLE PAPER ALONG WITH ITS’ MARKING SCHEME:
ALL THE BEST!
A GOOD TRAVELLER LEAVES NO TRACKS. JUST LIKE IT, A GOOD SPEECH LACKS FAULT FINDING.
- Class 9 English Explanation, Summary
- Class 10 English – Explanation
- Class 12 English Lessons Explanation
- Letter Writing, Letter Writing Format, Topics and Example