Notice Writing Format, How to write notice writing in English, Notice writing tips, examples
What is a notice?
A notice is a written or printed announcement (Example - a notice for sale). It is written in order to inform a large number of people about something that has happened or is about to happen. It could be an upcoming event, competition, Lost and found notice or just a piece of information to be delivered to the targeted audience. It is generally written in a formal tone.
Notices are factual and to-the-point. The language used is simple and formal, not flowery. They are put up on display boards in schools or at public places.
Let us discuss how to write a notice in English. As a question on notice writing is a part of English writing skills for Classes 6 to 12. The CBSE has prescribed a format of notice writing to be followed by students. The format of notice writing is as follows-
Format for Notice writing
The format of a notice should include: NAME OF THE INSTITUTION / ISSUING AUTHORITY / NOTICE / TITLE, DATE, and WRITER’S NAME WITH DESIGNATION.
A notice should contain all the necessary details such as:
- Name of the issuing agency (school, etc)
- Date of issue/release of the notice
- Title/Subject of the Event (what?)
- BODY-Date/time/duration/Place/Venue (when and where?)
- Authorized signatory: Name and signature (contact details)
Name of the issuing agency/authority
Title/Subject of the Event
Format of Notice - image
Notice Writing Topics
A Notice can be written for various reasons. The format of notice remains the same in all cases. Here is a list of topics for notice writing that students must prepare-
- A competition
- An excursion trip
- A lost and found notice
- An inauguration to take place
- An exhibition
- A blood donation camp to be held
Or any such type of event or information to be issued in public interest.
Notice writing Class 12
In the class 12 CBSE examination, choices will be given to attempt any one question out of the given two Short Answer Questions (4 marks each) based on any of the following –
- Notice writing
- Poster writing
- Formal and informal invitation and reply writing.
- Advertisement writing
Class 12 English Notice writing - breakup of marks
The breakup of 4 marks for class 12 English writing skills - notice writing as per CBSE guidelines is as follows:
Notice writing Tips
Please follow the given tips while attempting a question based on Notice writing format for Class 12 English writing skills paper -
- Do not cross the word limit to avoid penalty of marks. The prescribed word limit is 50 words.
- Repetition of any information should be avoided.
- Always enclose the notice in a box. Make sure you draw the box with a pencil.
- Keep your notice short, crisp and to-the-point.
- Highlight the word “NOTICE” and “TITLE”. It can be either bold or underlined.
- The title should be captivating and eye-catching.
- Don’t make hypothetical information and facts. Make use of what’s given in the question.
- Make sure you do not mention your personal information.
- Make use of all the available information in the question.
- Your answer shall include answers to all the 5 W’s – What, Why, When, Where and Who.
- The purpose for which it is being written should be stated clearly.
- Focus on presentation and clarity.
Examples for Notice writing
Here we will see questions for notice writing that are asked in exams. Students can take help of these solved questions and examples of notice writing format.
Question 1: Water supply will be suspended for eight hours (10 am to 6 pm) on 6th of March for cleaning of the water tank. Write a notice in about 50 words advising the residents to store water for a day. You are Karan Kumar/Karuna Bajaj, Secretary, Janata Group Housing Society, Palam Vihar, Kurnool.
Janata Group Housing Society, Palam Vihar, Kurnool.
March 01, 201X
This notice is to inform all the residents regarding the suspension of water supply for 8 hours. It is being done to clean the water tank. The details are as follows:
DATE- March 6
TIME- 10am – 6 pm
Thus, we request you to store the required amount of water beforehand to minimise the difficulty. Thank you
Karan Kumar/ Karuna Bajaj
SUGGESTED VALUE POINTS AS PER CBSE MARKING SCHEME-
[Any other relevant title]
– what - suspension of water supply for 8 hours
– when - 6th March; 10am – 6pm
– where - Society
– reasons for cut - cleaning of water tank
– steps to be taken - store water
– any other relevant details
Notice writing on Lost and Found
Question 2: While walking in a park in your neighbourhood you found a small plastic bag containing some documents and some cash. Write a notice in about 50 words to be put on the park notice board asking the owner to identify and collect it from you. You are Amar/Amrita 9399123456.
March 01, 20XX
This is to inform all the readers that a plastic bag has been found in the neighbourhood park. It has a few documents and some cash in it. The plastic bag is red in colour and is medium-sized. It was found on February 27, at around 6pm near the fountain in the park. The owner of the bag shall contact me on 9399123456 along with an identity proof. Thank you
SUGGESTED VALUE POINTS AS PER CBSE MARKING SCHEME-
Heading : [LOST & FOUND / FOUND / any other relevant title]
-What - plastic bag with documents and cash
-When – date & approx. time
-Where - park
-description of bag- colour, material, size -owner to claim with identifying details -Contact details- AMAR/ AMRITA -Phone no. - 9399123456
(any other relevant detail)
Question 3: You are Asma/Ashish, the head girl/boy of XYZ international school. Your school is soon going to publish the annual magazine next month. Write a notice for the notice board of your school inviting students to submit write-ups.
XYZ INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
This is to inform all the students that our school is going to publish its annual magazine next month. All those who wish to contribute can mail their entries to email@example.com. Write-ups will be accepted latest by March 30,2019 till 11:59 pm. You can take any topic of your choice. For further information, contact your respective class teachers.
Question 4: You are Ruhi/Rahul, head girl/boy of ABC convent school. Your school is going to organize an inter-school singing competition. Write a notice for your school notice board inviting names of all the interested students.
Our school is organising an Inter-school Singing Competition on March 19, 2019; Tuesday at 12pm in the school auditorium. More than 20 schools from all over the city will participate. Interested students may contact the undersigned latest by March 10, 2019.
- Letter Writing Format, Formal letter, Informal letter
- Report Writing Format, Topics, Samples
- Informal letter Format, Examples, Topics. What is informal Letter?