Story Writing for Class 10, Format, Tips, Tricks, Notes, Examples
Story Writing - How to Write?
English Story Writing for Class 10 - Story writing is a part of the writing skills section of Class 9 and 10 English paper. It is a topic that involves creative writing. Here, we will discuss the format of a story writing and the steps to write a short story for students of class 9 and 10.
What is a story writing?
A story writing is work of “fiction or imagination” that is usually written in “easily understandable grammatical structure” with “natural flow of speech”. Story writing is meant to be read at single sitting and therefore it should be as direct and brief as possible.
Typically story writing has five key elements – Character (fewer is better), Setting (brief but poetic and vivid), Plot (as simple and interesting as possible), Conflict (intense but one), and Theme (relating to majority of readers).
A character is someone or something that takes part in actions depicted in the short story. It could be a living person, a dead person, a ghost, an imaginary character, a robot, a dog, a toy… unlimited list.
The golden rule for selecting characters in story writing is “Fewer are better”. A story writing would more effectively convey its meaning if it has very few characters – one protagonist, one other main character and no supporting or side characters would be ideal.
Animating character with perfect adjectives and examples are a must however, typically while writing short stories, do not fall overdo the characterization.
Time frame and place constitute setting of story writing. The setting is often decorated with descriptions of scenes such as super market, bedroom, crowded metro train, or drizzling evening… again unlimited list. These descriptions are very important to make reader immerse in the plot.
Unit of time frame may vary from hours to days to weeks to years. The golden rule in selecting time frame for story writing is “keep it shorter” and “have it single”. Story writing that has setting of few hours may typically be clearer and more effective than with setting of few months or years.
vividly describe surroundings. must be absolutely clear and very importantly be appealing to five senses of your readers. Be poetic, use suitable adjectives, script dialogues, or even deploy side characters… do whatever you need to ensure that the reader lives your story while reading.
Plot is flesh and muscles of story writing. It comprises events and characters’ actions. More creatively you describe and logically connect the events and actions, stronger the plot would be; and stronger the plot you create, better interest would it generate among readers. A plot has start, body and end that are linked sequentially by events and character actions.
You must so choose a start that your reader gets hooked to the story. create confusion or question in readers’ mind by first line of your story. Your reader must try to get answer from best of her ability and experience but she should finally end up digging into subsequent lines of your stories to quench her temporarily aroused inquisitiveness.
Central idea or main belief presented by a story writing is called theme. It is skeleton or frame of your short story that is decorated by plot, setting, conflict and characters.
The five key elements (or stages) of a Story Writing are as follows-
10 important tips to write story writing are as follows -
• Tip #1: Fewer Characters
• Tip #2: Develop Characters for Theme
• Tip #3: Single and Short Time Frame
• Tip #4: Vivid Surroundings
• Tip #5: Catchy First Line
• Tip #6: Choose Suitable Point of View
• Tip #7: One Conflict Only
• Tip #8: Intense but Real Conflict
• Tip #9: Theme in Focus
• Tip #10: Break Rules if Needed
As story writing involves creative writing skills, please follow the below mentioned points to write a good story -
- The narrative should be in Ist or IInd or IIIrd person.
- Setting of the story should be made.
- Time, location, context and atmosphere should be described to create imagery.
- Meaningful dialogues to be used. Dialogues should have expressions.
- Characterization - identify 2 - 3 main characters and a few side characters in the story.
- Plot of the story should be interesting but short because the word limit should not be exceeded. It can include the following -
- What happens
- Story line
- Resolving a conflict
- Create conflict and tension
- Opposition between characters and their internal or external conditions
- Balance b/w opposing forces of the conflict
- Crisis or climax
- Turning point of the story
- Resolution or solution to the conflict
- Open type- reader’s view
- Resolved – clear cut outcome
- Parallel to beginning- same as the starting of the story
- Monologue / dialogue of the characters
- Closing image
- Notice Writing Format - How to write a Notice ?
- Class 9 English Explanation, Summary
- Class 10 English - Explanation
- Class 12 English Lessons Explanation
- Free Online English Test - MCQ Test Series