English Essay Writing Topic – The Wonder Called Science
Since its invention, science has become an integral part of our everyday life. It has drastically changed our lifestyle in terms of quality. Science has introduced millions of life-changing technological advancements that have helped us improve every aspect of our lives. Researchers believe that humans would still live in the Stone age if science didn’t exist. The invention of science is primarily responsible for the existence of the modern era. Similarly, science has made it easy for us to perform our daily activities within a few moments. It has improved our overall living and made it faster, more convenient, and more comfortable.
Science provides a futuristic perspective to our thoughts and behavior. With the help of its technological advancements, it has influenced the way we used to think and behave. From waking up to the sound of the alarm clock to turning off the lights to sleep at night, science has impacted all areas of our everyday life. In the last few decades, we have become excessively dependent on science as it has offered us a pleasant existence and continuous progress in life. We cannot even imagine now living a single day without the assistance of science and technology. As the curiosity in human beings regarding science has increased with time, it has resulted in them making more complicated research efforts to invent more extraordinary scientific advancements. Unfortunately, science has some damaging effects and can even destroy human life and the environment if used maliciously. However, researchers consider science a wonder as it makes people’s imaginations real.
- What Is Science?
- Why Is Science A Wonder?
- History of Science
- Future Predictions in the World of Science
- Advantages of Science
- Disadvantages of Scientific Advancements
What Is Science?
The word ‘science’ has numerous definitions based on its application. Science can be considered both as a process of acquiring knowledge and the body of knowledge. The world of science includes previous inventions, present experiments and observations, and future testing and hypotheses. The systematic methodology of natural and physical aspects of our environment through testing and research is called science. Additionally, technology is the application of science to bring innovative and valuable developments. According to many researchers, the appropriate definition of science is as follows, ‘Science is the description, observation, identification, theoretical explanation, and experimental investigation of natural phenomena.’ Science helps us to learn about the natural world through observation and experiment. This observation must be unbiased enough to explain the fundamental laws of nature. Science can also be described as an intellectual and practical activity to understand our surrounding world. However, the field of science consists of many aspects, such as:
- Applied Science: It refers to a specialization in science that widely depends on systematic study and employs scientific knowledge to invent new applications, including robotics, engineering, medicine, agriculture, and the like.
- Natural Science: This specialization includes biological science and physical science. While biological science refers to the study of living organisms, physical science is the study of the material universe, such as chemistry, physics, and space science.
- Formal Science: It refers to a specialization in science that includes the study of logic and mathematics.
- Social Science: This specialization in science includes the study of people and society. Anthropology and psychology are two significant parts of this specialization.
Why Is Science A Wonder?
We are living in the age of science. It has exceptionally improved our quality of life and changed the way we used to work, learn, think, and behave. It helps humans transform their imaginations into reality. Science and various scientific technologies have made our life easier and more comfortable. It has brought millions of incredible inventions that have helped us live pleasant lives and enjoy continuous advancement. The word ‘wonder’ means amazement or astonishment, and science has made numerous astonishing advancements that human beings never imagined witnessing. Thus, researchers consider science a wonder that has positively impacted human lives and their surrounding environment. Scientific knowledge always teaches us the importance of expressing our civic aspirations, connecting with others around us, and positively contributing to the world. That’s why we should make great efforts to ensure that we always use scientific discoveries in the interest of the entire human race and to make the world a better place rather than using it for malicious purposes.
Almost every little thing we see around us is the gift of science, be it a smartphone, television, radio, electricity, motor vehicle, paper, microwave, toothbrush, computer, wheel, or cloth. The following are some of the incredible wonders of science that have changed the world.
Telephones are one of the most significant inventions of science as it has introduced a new way of communication to people. The invention of telephones has made communication faster, easier, and more reliable. By using telephones, we can effortlessly contact our loved ones who live in another city or country. However, the concept of the telephone has evolved with time, and the world witnessed other wonders of science, including mobile phones and smartphones. We can use mobile phones to call or message a person, chat online, click pictures, browse the internet, play games, do office or study-related work, order food, book transportation, and even shop online.
Television is another outstanding scientific invention that has become a great source of entertainment for many people. Like other electronic devices, television also has gone through a major evolution, from black-and-white to colored televisions. In recent times, many electronic manufacturers have even launched smart televisions that function solely like mobile phones. We can watch fictional and non-fictional shows, news, and movies on television.
The radio was the first scientific invention in the field of entertainment. Scientists used the first-ever wireless radio system to demonstrate radio waves and transmit radio signals. We can use radio for multiple purposes, such as listening to songs, local, national, and international news, podcasts, stories, weather, traffic, and astrological updates.
The most useful invention of science is electricity, as it became a basic need for human life within a very brief period. Today we need electricity to perform every single daily activity and duty. Since its invention, electricity has become the ultimate necessity in our homes, offices, small and big factories, shops, malls, and everywhere. Similarly, we need electricity to use every little appliance, from lights, fans, refrigerators, mobile phones, and televisions to air-conditioners, microwaves, and washing machines, even transportation like trains and airplanes run with the help of electricity. Human civilization would not exist without the presence of electricity.
Science has a huge contribution to the field of transportation. Transportations, such as trains, buses, ships, airplanes, bicycles, and motorcycles, are gifts of science. These transportations have made our journey more comfortable and less time-consuming. We can now reach any destination by using these transportations. With the help of science and technology, people have even become successful in inventing rockets and reaching another planet. While we can use trains or buses for short journeys, airplanes have made it possible for us to travel long distances within a few hours or even less.
Computers are one of the most important scientific inventions of the twentieth century. Within a very short period, people became excessively dependent on computers as they offer several crucial functioning, including calculations, data storage, programming, entertainment, and more. Computers are primarily used in various workplaces to enhance work speed and efficiency. This scientific wonder called ‘computers’ has brought a great revolution in education, banking, medicine, and aviation.
The internet is the greatest example of modern technology. In today’s world, we cannot even imagine living a day without using the internet. It has made communication and information transmission easier and quicker. It allows us to gain tremendous knowledge and connect with the entire world 24*7. The internet has gradually become more convenient, interactive, and user-friendly. We can use the internet for professional, educational, and entertainment purposes. We can learn, study, write, research, send, receive, explore, and browse information with the help of the internet.
Other scientific wonders include:
- Light bulb
- Printing press
- Electric fan
History of Science
Thousands of years ago, science was discovered by people from diverse cultural traditions.
According to many researchers, ancient Greeks and Romans initiated today’s modern science that solely relies on experimentation and observation. But many experts believe that the history of science developed in Europe and North America during the late 19th century. They argue that science is a product of white men in the west. However, many historians claim that Aristotle was the first person to invent ancient science. Ancient science originated from experiments conducted in Renaissance kitchens, artisan workshops, and pharmacies. History says that Aristotle brought with him the origin of science in the 4th century BC.
Ancient scientists followed the oral tradition to transfer scientific knowledge and findings when the writing system didn’t exist. Ancient science witnessed a major revolution in many stages over the years. Each phase introduced myriads of scientific ideas developed by evolved thinkers. Here are some revolutionary historical developments of science when the world witnessed the wonder.
- Scientist Nicolaus Copernicus concluded that the Earth is not the center of the universe.
- Additionally, Copernicus introduced the idea of the solar system in the 16th century.
- Another scientific evolution occurred when Johannes Kepler developed the planetary motion model.
- In the 17th century, the father of modern physics, Galileo Galilei, supported the findings of Copernicus and Kepler and discovered the telescope to look beyond the Earth’s atmosphere.
- In the 16th century, Sir Isaac Newton discovered the gravitational theory after observing a falling apple from a tree.
Future Predictions in the World of Science
We all know that the future cannot be predicted. But we can at least anticipate some revolutionary scientific and technological inventions in the future in the world of science. Here are five predictions regarding future scientific advancements.
- Artificial General Intelligence Model
The world’s first artificial general intelligence can be a reality soon as many global tech companies have already launched official projects to develop it. The model is expected to have various emotional, reasoning, and cognitive abilities, such as intentional creativity, emotions, strategic thinking, counterfactual thinking, common sense, consciousness, and general reasoning abilities.
- Human-like robots
The invention of human-like robots will be another revolution in the future. These robots will have more flexibility and skillfulness to master the real-world environment. They will identify real-life situations and actions they should perform depending on the situation.
- Bionic eyes
According to researchers, bionic eyes will be introduced to the medical world. The artificial retinas and visual prostheses will have a similar visual quality to the real human eyes.
- Space elevators
In 2050, the world will witness the invention of two space elevators. It will be the largest engineering project in the entire world. These elevators will provide planet-to-space transportation service by using a cable extending into space and anchored to the earth’s surface.
- Visual reality glasses
Within 20 years from now, visual reality glasses will replace smartphones. These glasses will have a 16k resolution and multiple display modes. These glasses will have similar features and specifications to smartphones.
Advantages of Science
In today’s world, science plays an indispensable role in our life. We can say that science has facilitated human life and helped people living in the modern world. Apart from flourishing our day-to-day life, science also has an optimistic impact on the present world scenario. The following are some common advantages of science.
- In global economy
We cannot deny the contribution of science to building a strong national and global economy. Technological advancements have promoted the world’s economic growth by raising the gross domestic products and services. Thus it has resulted in increased productivity, accumulated capital, high-tech development, and healthy international competition.
- In agriculture
Science also has positive impacts on the field of agriculture. The annual productivity rate of crops can increase by a factor of ten using various scientific technologies. Scientific tools and technologies have assisted farmers in adopting new techniques to produce more crops within less time. In simple words, these agriculture-related technologies have helped increase crop production and reduce the physical labor of farmers.
- In telecommunication and transportation
Science has also delivered extraordinary progress in the telecommunication and transportation sector. The introduction of the metro network and the internet in the global market has effortlessly eliminated the distance barrier between people. Even science has made it possible for scientists to reach other planets using a rocket.
- In medicine and surgery
Science also discovered numerous medicine that helps people heal from life-threatening diseases. Medicine help people recover from dreadful diseases like cancer and tuberculosis. Science has also shown its magic in the field of medical surgery. Because of medical advancements, major surgeries like heart or kidney transplantation have become feasible for the general population. Developed medical equipment and research in the medical sector make us witness a decrease in the global death rates.
- In education
Scientific technologies have also positively affected the process of schooling and further education. Technologies, including audio-visual aids and online lessons, have improved the process of teaching and learning.
- In Nuclear plant
Nuclear power plants are another great invention of science. It provides a huge source of energy using uranium as fuel. It can even fulfill the energy demand of the world for a longer time. It produces electricity that has become a basic need for every person in today’s world.
- In entertainment
Mobile phones, computers, laptops, video games, and televisions are some incredible inventions of science. These electronic gadgets and appliances are also considered as great sources of entertainment.
Disadvantages of Scientific Advancements
Similar to other inventions, science also has some negative effects on human life and the environment. The following are some disadvantages of science.
- The inventions of science can be easily misused for harmful purposes. For example, the nuclear bomb is the most dangerous invention of science that can destroy human civilization.
- Air-craft guns, missiles, hydrogen bombs, and magnetic mines are used as destructive weapons to destroy cities during a war.
- Technological advancements, such as mobile phones and televisions have adverse effects on children and youth. Excessive use of these electronic tools can develop psychological and physical problems among people and impair their professional performance.
- Terrorists can illegally use advanced technologies for their violent missions.
- The excessive presence of motor vehicles, electronic gadgets, and big chemical factories negatively contributes to the development of environmental pollution.
- Industrial technologies are gradually reducing the existence of natural beauty.
- Science has made men money-minded and selfish. People are becoming greedy and losing humanity.
- Excessive use of technologies and machinery is slowly driving laborers out of employment. This situation will result in unemployment followed by poverty.
The wonder called ‘science’ provides us with a happier and more comfortable life. Science can offer numerous benefits in every possible sector if used correctly. In today’s modern world, it is impossible to live one day without using scientific technologies. We can also flourish in our professional fields by using technological advancements. Thus, people need to utilize the benefits of science in the correct way for human welfare.
- Essays in English
- Essay on My Father in English
- Essay on Mahatma Gandhi in English
- Essay on Swami Vivekanand in English
- Essay on Shaheed Bhagat Singh in English
- India’s 15th President Draupadi Murmu, Essay in English
- Essay on Cruelty to Animals in English
- Essay on Importance of English
- Plastic ban – Are we doing enough?
- Essay on my family
- Essay on My best friend
- Essay on Impact of Poverty on Education
- Essay on The Wonder Called Science in English
- Essay on Mobile Phones in English
- Agnipath – A New Recruitment Scheme of Indian Armed Forces
- Role of Technology in Education? English Essay
- What is Exam Result Anxiety and How to Reduce it
- Should Facebook be banned? English Essay
- Suicide Among Students Due to Parental Pressure
- Should selling and using tobacco be banned? English Essay
- Social Media – A cause of Anxiety and Depression
- Should Smoking in Public Places be banned? English Essay
- Essay on Should children get limited access to the Internet?
- Should Education be Free? English Essay
- Coronavirus: Coping With Viruses in the 21st Century: Are we ready?
- To Zoom or Not to Zoom – Is it Safe for Official meetings in 2020?
- Online Education : A Boon or A Curse?
- Citizenship Amendment Act – Confusion and Arguments Explained
- Merger of Banks in India – What are the advantages and disadvantages?
- Essay on why plastic has been banned in India for students
- Impact of COVID-19 on the World Economy
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Global Education and its Solution
- Essay on the importance of Computers in our life
- Essay on Importance of Discipline for success in life
- Essay on Terrorism
- Essay on Skill India Mission
- Essay on Renewable Sources of Energy
- Essay on Make in India Project
- Essay on Haritha Haram Program
- Essay on Corruption
- Ten tips on writing a good essay
- Essay on “My Aim in Life – to become an astronaut”
- Essay on the Importance of Education
- Essay on Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao
- Essay on Importance of sports and games
- Essay on Demonetization
- Essay on Pollution
- Essay on Water conservation
- Essay on Global Warming
- Essay on Diwali in English
- Essay on Holi in English
- Essay on Chandrayaan in English
- Essay on Women Empowerment in English
- Essay on Child labour in English
- Essay on Swachh Bharat Mission
- Contributions of DRDO in Indian Defence