Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bengaluru announces Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2024
GATE 2024 – Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national level exam that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture/ Science/ Commerce/ Arts. GATE 2024 will be a computer-based test (CBT) which is being organized by the Indian Institute of Technology Bengaluru.
About GATE 2024
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national level exam that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture/ Science/ Commerce/ Arts. GATE 2024 will be a computer-based test (CBT) which is being organized by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bengaluru.
- The exam will be conducted by IISc Bangalore and seven IITs (IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati, IIT Bengaluru, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras, IIT Roorkee), on behalf of the National Coordination Board – GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education (MoE), Government of India (GoI).
- Qualified GATE score can be used for seeking admission and/or financial assistance to : (i) Master’s programs and direct Doctoral programs in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture/ Science/ Commerce/ Arts; and (ii) Doctoral programs in relevant branches of Arts and Science, in the institutions supported by the MoE and other Government agencies. GATE score is also used by some colleges and institutions for giving admission to students without MoE scholarship/assistantship. Further, many Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) have been using the GATE score in their recruitment process.
- Organizing Institute for GATE 2024 is Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bengaluru.
GATE 2024 Important Dates
- Online Application Process Opens: 24th August 2023 (Expected)
- Last date to apply (Without Late Fee): 29th September 2023
- Closing Date of Extended Online Registration/application process (With Late Fee): 13th October 2023
- Modifications in GATE 2024 Application: 07th to 11th November 2023
- Availability of GATE Admit cards for download: 03rd January 2024
- GATE 2024 Exam Dates: 03rd, 04th & 10th, 11th February 2024
- Candidate’s response available in Application portal: 16th February 2024
- Answer keys available on Application Portal: 21st February 2024
- Submission of challenges by candidates on Answer Keys: 22nd to 25th February 2024
- Announcement of Results for GATE 2024: 16th March 2024
- Availability of Score Card for download by candidates: 23rd March 2024
- Age Limit: There is no age limit for GATE applicants.
- Nationality: Candidates should be of Indian nationality. Candidates belonging to Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Ethiopia, and United Arab Emirates will also be eligible
- A candidate who is currently studying in the 3rd or higher years of any undergraduate degree program OR has already completed any government approved degree program in Engineering / Technology / Architecture / Science / Commerce / Arts is eligible for appearing in the GATE 2024 exam.
- Some of the Professional Societies/Institutions, which conduct exams in various fields of engineering, are as follows.
- The Institution of Engineers (India) (IE)
- The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- The Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE)
- The Aeronautical Society of India (AeSI)
- The Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, including Polymer and Environmental Group (IIChemE)
- The Indian Institute of Metals (IIM)
- The Indian Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIIE)
- However, the candidates who possess certification from any of the professional societies must ensure that those examinations conducted by the societies are approved by MoE/ AICTE/ UGC/ UPSC as equivalent to B.E./ B.Tech./ B.Arch./ B.Planning., etc*.
- Candidates who have obtained/are pursuing their qualifying degree from countries other than India: Must be currently in the 3rd or higher years or completed their Bachelor’s degree (duration: at least 3 years) in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture/ Science/ Arts/ Commerce.
- For more detail information brochure https://gate.iitk.ac.in/eligibility_criteria.html
How to Apply for GATE 2024 – Application Process
- Application for GATE 2024 must be submitted ONLINE (through website https://gate.iitk.ac.in/) by paying necessary application fee
Data Requirement for Filling the Online Application Form in GATE 2024
- Personal information (name, date of birth, personal mobile number, parents’ name, parents’ mobile number, etc.).
- Please note that the name of the candidate in the application form must exactly be the same as that in the valid photo ID, which the candidate MUST produce in original while appearing for GATE-2024 examination at the centre.
- GATE 2024 scorecard will be issued as per the name entered in the application form.
- Prefix/title such as Mr / Shri / Dr / Mrs / Smt / Prof / Capt / Maj / Lt / Col / Er / Ar, etc. MUST NOT be used before a name.
- Address for Communication (including PIN code).
- Eligibility degree details.
- GATE paper(s) / subjects and their codes in which the candidate wishes to appear.
- THREE Choices of GATE examination cities (from the same zone).
- Net-banking /debit card / credit card / UPI / wallet details for fee payment.
Documents Required for Filling the Online Application Form in GATE 2024
- High quality image of candidate’s photograph conforming to the requirements specified (See Brochure Section 4.4.7 A).
- High quality image of candidate’s signature conforming to the requirements specified (See Brochure Section 4.4.7 B).
- Scanned copy of Category (SC/ST) certificate in pdf format (if applicable).
- Scanned copy of PwD Certificate in pdf format (if applicable).
- Scanned copy of Certificate of Dyslexia (if applicable) in pdf format.
- Scanned copy of any of the valid photo Identity documents: Aadhar-UID (preferable), Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID and Driving License (should have Name, Date of birth of the candidate and unique Photo ID number. This must be carried in original to the examination hall for verification)
For Examination Centers in India
Regular Period (30th Aug to 30th Sept 2022)
- Female candidates (per paper) : Rs. 900
- SC / ST / PwD* category candidates (per paper) : Rs. 1800
- All other candidates including foreign nationals (per paper) : Rs. 1800
During the Extended Period (1st Oct to 7th Oct 2022)
- Female candidates (per paper) : Rs.1400
- SC / ST / PwD* category candidates (per paper) : Rs. 2300
- All other candidates including foreign nationals (per paper) : Rs. 2300
- *PwD means Persons with Disability.
- A candidate is allowed to appear either in ONE or UP TO TWO test papers. Please see the page of Two-Paper Combination for more details
- The above Application fees are for a single test paper. Candidates opting for two papers would have to pay twice the above mentioned fees.
- GATE 2024 will be conducted only in centres within India. It will NOT be conducted in centres outside India. Foreign nationals and Indian citizens residing abroad may appear for GATE 2024, by paying the full application fee (Rs. 1800 per test paper), but they must choose examination cities within India. They must make their own arrangements for travel and accommodation to appear for the exam at an assigned centre within India.
GATE 2024 Exam Pattern
- Examination Mode : Computer Based Test (CBT) [will be conducted at select centers in select cities]
- Duration : 3 Hours*
- Number of Subjects (Papers) : 30 (A new test paper on Data Science and Artificial Intelligence (DA) has been introduced this year)
- Sections :
- General Aptitude (GA) +
- Candidate’s Selected Subject(s)
- Type of Questions :
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)
- Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and/or
- Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions
- Questions for testing these abilities :
- Analysis & Synthesis
- Distribution of Marks in all Papers EXCEPT papers AR, CY, DA, EY, GG, MA, PH, ST, XH and XL :
- General Aptitude: 15 Marks
- Engineering Mathematics**: 13 Marks
- Subject Questions: 72 Marks
- Total: 100 Marks
- (**XE includes Engineering Mathematics section XE-A of 15 Marks)
- Distribution of Marks in papers AR, CY, DA, EY, GG, MA, PH, ST, XH and XL
- General Aptitude: 15 Marks
- Subject Questions: 85 Marks
- Total: 100 Marks
- Marking Scheme : Questions carry 1 mark and 2 marks
- Negative Marking :
- For a wrong answer chosen in a MCQ, there will be negative marking.
- For 1-mark MCQ, 1/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
- Likewise, For 2-mark MCQ, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
- No negative marking for Incorrect answer(s) to MSQ or NAT question.
*PwD candidates with benchmark disability are eligible for the compensatory time of 20 minutes per hour. Thus, they will get one hour extra for a three hour examination.
- Zone 1 -IISc Bangalore
- Zone 2- IIT Bombay
- Zone 3- IIT Delhi
- Zone 4- IIT Guwahati
- Zone 5- IIT Bengaluru
- Zone 6- IIT Kharagpur
- Zone 7- IIT Madras
- Zone 8- IIT Roorkee
- International Centres
- This is a tentative list of examination cities. Any changes will be updated on the website.
- All candidates must apply Online. Further details and Online Application Form can be obtained by accessing any of the GATE zonal website:
- IISc Bangalore (gate.iisc.ernet.in)
- IIT Bombay (www.gate.iitb.ac.in)
- IIT Delhi (gate.iitd.ac.in)
- IIT Guwahati (www.iitg.enent.in/gate)
- IIT Bengaluru (www.iitk.ac.in)
- IIT Kharagpur (www.gate.iitkgp.ac.in)
- IIT Madras (gate.iitm.ac.in)
- IIT Roorkee (www.gate.iitr.enert.in)
GATE 2024 Admit Card
- Admit Card can ONLY be downloaded from the GATE 2024 website from 24th March 2024. Admit Cards will NOT be sent by post or as an e-mail attachment.
For more details and to apply online, please visit the official website