UPSC Engineering Services 2020, UPSC ESE Dates, Application, Eligibility
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) Engineering Services 2020 - Engineering Services (UPSC ESE 2020)
UPSC Engineering Services 2020 - Union Public Service Commission has announced the UPSC ESE 2020 Engineering Services (Preliminary - Stage I) Examination 2020 schedule, and is seeking applications from Engineering Job aspirants from Graduate Engineers. The UPSC Engineering Services examination for 2020 is scheduled to be held on 05th January 2020.
UPSC has opened the application window on 25th September 2019 and candidates can submit their application online on or before 15th October 2019.
Candidates can get full details regarding this exam like ESE 2020 Exam Dates, Exam Pattern, Syllabus, Age Limit, Eligibility Criteria, Educational Qualification, etc. in the page below.
UPSC Engineering Services 2020 Vacancy Details
- Recruitment on the results of this examination will be made to the Services/ Posts under the following categories
- Employment Type: Central Govt Jobs
- Name of the Post: Engineering Services Examination
- Job Location: All over India
See: UPSC Exam Date 2020
Total No. of Vacancies: 495 Posts
- Category I: Civil Engineering
- Category II: Mechanical Engineering
- Category III: Electrical Engineering
- Category IV: Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- The number of vacancies to be filled on the results of the exam is expected to be approximately 495 including 21 vacancies for the Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PwBD) (03 vacancies for Low Vision, 11 vacancies for Locomotor Disability including Leprosy cured, Dwarfism, Acid Attack victims and Muscular Dystrophy & 07 vacancies for Hard of Hearing)
- The number of vacancies is liable to alteration
UPSC Engineering Services 2020 Important Dates
- UPSC ESE 2020 Notification Publication: 25th September 2019
- The application starts from: 25th September 2019
- Last Date of Online Application: 15th October 2019 (06.00 PM)
- Date of the Preliminary Exam: 05th January 2020
- Date of the Mains Exam: 28th June 2020
- Personality Test or Interview: July 2020
- Duration of Examination: 1 Day
Name of the Posts
Category I - Civil Engineering
Group-A Services/ Posts
- (i) Indian Railway Service of Engineers.
- (ii) Indian Railway Stores Service (Civil Engineering Posts).
- (iii) Central Engineering Service
- (iv) Central Engineering Service (Roads), Group‐A (Civil Engineering Posts).
- (v) Survey of India Group ‘A’ Service.
- (vi) AEE(Civil) in Border Road Engineering Service.
- (vii) Indian Defence Service of Engineers
- (viii) AEE(QS&C) in MES Surveyor Cadre
- (ix) Central Water Engineering (Group ‘A’) Service
- (x) Indian Skill Development Service
Category II - Mechanical Engineering
- (i) Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers.
- (ii) Indian Railway Stores Service (Mechanical Engineering Posts).
- (iii) AEE in GSI Engineering Service Gr ‘A’.
- (iv) Indian Defence Service of Engineers.
- (v) Indian Naval Armament Service (Mechanical Engineering Posts).
- (vi) Asstt. Naval Store Officer Grade‐I (Mechanical Engineering Posts) in Indian Navy.
- (vii) AEE(Elec & Mech) in Border Roads Engineering Service(Mechanical Engineering Posts).
- (viii) Central Water Engineering (Group ‘A’) Service.
- (ix) Central Power Engineering Service Gr ‘A’ (Mechanical Engineering Posts).
- (x) Indian Skill Development Service.
- (xi) Central Power Engineering Service Gr ‘B’ (Mechanical Engineering Posts).
Category III - Electrical Engineering
- (i) Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers.
- (ii) Indian Railway Stores Service (Electrical Engineering Posts).
- (iii) Central Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Service (Electrical Engineering Posts).
- (iv) Indian Defence Service of Engineers.
- (v) Asstt. Naval Store Officer Grade‐I (Electrical Engineering Posts) in Indian Navy.
- (vi) Central Power Engineering Service Gr ‘A’ (Electrical Engineering Posts).
- (vii) Defence Aeronautical Quality Assurance Service/SSO‐II (Electrical).
- (viii) Indian Skill Development Service.
- (ix) Central Power Engineering Service Gr ‘B’ (Electrical Engineering Posts).
Category IV - Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- (i) Indian Railway Service of Signal Engineers.
- (ii) Indian Railway Stores Service (Telecommunication/Electronics Engineering Posts).
- (iii) Indian Radio Regulatory Service Gr ‘A’.
- (iv) Indian Telecommunication Service Gr ‘A’.
- (v) Indian Naval Armament Service (Electronics and Telecom Engineering Posts).
- (vi) Asstt. Naval Store Officer Grade‐I (Electronics and Telecom Engg. Posts) in Indian Navy.
- (vii) Central Power Engineering Service Gr ‘A’ (Electronics & Telecom Engineering Posts).
- (viii) Indian Skill Development Service.
- (ix) Junior Telecom Officer Gr ‘B’.
- (x) Central Power Engineering Service Gr ‘B’ (Electronics & Telecom Engineering Posts).
UPSC Engineering Services 2020 Eligibility Conditions
- A candidate must be either (a) a citizen of India, or (b) a subject of Nepal, or (c) a subject of Bhutan, or (d) a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 01st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or (e) a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- Provided, that a candidate belonging to categories (b), (c), (d) and (e) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Govt. of India.
- A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary, may be admitted to the exam but the offer of appointment may be given only after the necessary eligibility certificate has been issued by the Govt. of India.
- A candidate for this examination must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 30 years on the 01st January 2020 i.e., he/she must have been born not earlier than 2nd January 1990 and not later than 1st January 1999
- The upper age‐limit of 30 years will be relaxable upto 35 years in the case of Govt. Servants of the following categories, if they are employed in a Dept. /Office under the control of any of the authorities mentioned in below and apply for admission to the exam for all or any of the Service(s)/Post(s) mentioned, for which they are otherwise eligible
- Up to maximum of five years in the case of Ex-servicemen including Commissioned Officers and ECOs/SSCOs, who have rendered at least five years Military Service as on 01st January 2020 and have been released (i) on completion of assignment (including those whose assignment is due) to be completed within one year from 01st January 2020 otherwise than by way of dismissal or discharge on account of misconduct or inefficiency
Minimum Educational Qualification
- For admission to the examination, a candidate must have:
- a) obtained a degree in Engineering from a University incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other Educational Institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as Universities under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956; or
- b) passed Sections A and B of the Institution Exams of the Institution of Engineers (India); or
- c) obtained a degree/diploma in Engineering from such foreign University/College/Institution and under such conditions
- d) as may be recognised by the Government for the purpose from time to time, or
- e) passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (India);or
- f) passed Associate Membership Examination Parts II and III/Sections A and B of the Aeronautical Society of India; or
- g) passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London held after November 1959
- Provided that a candidate for the post of Indian Naval Armament Service (Electronics Engineering Posts) and Indian Radio Regulatory Service Group ‘A’ may possess any of the above qualifications or the qualification mentioned below namely:
- For Indian Naval Armament Service (Electronics Engg. Posts) ‐ M.Sc. degree or its equivalent with Wireless Communication Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as a special subject
- For Indian Radio Regulatory Service - M.Sc. degree or its equivalent with Wireless Communication Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as a subject or Master’s Degree in Science with Physics and Radio Communication or Electronics or Telecommunication as a special subject
- Candidates finally recommended by the Commission on the basis of Engineering Services Examination 2020 shall be required to undergo medical exam.
- Every candidate, on being finally recommended by Commission will be required to undergo medical exam as and when so decided by the Ministry of Railways (Railway Board) irrespective of the fact that he/she has appeared for such medical exam in the past and found fit/unfit on the basis of earlier exam.
- The medical exam will be conducted at various Railway Hospitals under Ministry of Railways (Railway Board)
- Candidates must be physically fit according to physical standards for admission to Engineering Services Examination 2020 as per guidelines given in Appendix‐II of the Rules for the Engineering Services Exam 2020 published in the Gazette of India Extraordinary dated 25th September 2019
UPSC Engineering Services 2020 Selection Process
- Selection of candidates will be on the basis of three phase selection process, Stage I will be objective type exam for selection of candidates to the Stage II. Main/stage-II) Exam will consist of two conventional type papers in Engineering Discipline specific with duration of three hours and maximum marks of 600 (300 Marks in each paper)
- The Stage-III will consist of Personality Test carrying 200 Marks.
- Stage-I: Engineering Services (Preliminary/Stage-I) Examination (Objective Type Papers)
- Stage-II: Engineering Services (Main/Stage-II) Examination (Conventional Type Papers)
- Stage-III: Personality Test
- As per the recruitment rules of UPSC and concerned Departments, Physical and Medical examination will be conducted before the final selection of candidates
- Conventional papers must be answered in English. Question paper will be set in English only.
- Details of the syllabi for Stage‐I: (Preliminary/stage‐I) and Stage‐II: (Main/Stage‐II) are at Section III.
- Centres of Engineering Services (Preliminary) Exam - Agartala Chennai Itanagar Mumbai Shimla Ahmedabad Cuttack Jaipur Nagpur Srinagar Aizawl Dehradun Jammu Panaji (Goa) Thiruvananthapuram Aligarh Delhi Jorhat Patna Tirupati Allahabad Dharwad Kochi (Cochin) Port Blair Udaipur Bangalore Dispur(Guwahati) Kohima Raipur Vishakhapatnam Bareilly Gangtok Kolkata Ranchi Bhopal Hyderabad Lucknow Sambalpur Chandigarh Imphal Madurai, Shillong
- Centres for Engineering Services (Main) Exam - Ahmedabad Chandigarh Dispur (Guwahati) Lucknow Shillong Aizawl Chennai Hyderabad Mumbai Shimla Allahabad Cuttack Jaipur Patna Thiruvananthapuram Bangalore Dehradun Jammu Raipur Vishakhapatnam Bhopal Delhi Kolkata Ranchi
UPSC Engineering Services 2020 Application Procedure
- Candidates are required to apply Online only by using the website www.upsconline.nic.in. Brief instructions are given in Appendix‐IIA. Detailed instructions for filling up online applications are available on the above mentioned website.
- The facility of withdrawal of Application is available for those candidates who do not want to appear for the Exam. In this regard, Instructions are mentioned in Appendix‐IIB of this Examination Notice
- Candidate should have details of one Photo ID Card viz. Aadhaar Card/Voter Card/PAN Card/Passport/Driving Licence/Any other Photo ID Card issued by the State/Central Govt.
- The details of this Photo ID Card will have to be provided by the candidate while filling up the online application form. This Photo ID Card will be used for all future referencing and the candidate is advised to carry this Photo ID Card while appearing for Exam/Personality Test
- Candidates (excepting Female/SC/ST/PwBD who are exempted from payment of fee) are required to pay a fee of Rs.200/‐ either by depositing the money in any Branch of SBI by cash or by using net banking facility of State Bank of India or by using any Visa/Master/RuPay Credit/Debit Card.
- Note-1 Applicants who opt for "Pay by cash" mode should print the system generated Pay‐in slip during Part‐II registration and deposit the fee at the counter of SBI Branch on the next working day only. "Pay by cash" mode option will be deactivated at 11.59 PM of 14th October 2019 i.e. one day before the closing date ; however, applicants who have generated their Pay‐in‐slip before it is deactivated may pay at the counter of SBI Branch during banking hours on the closing date
- Such applicants who are unable to pay by cash on the closing date i.e. during banking hours to SBI Branch, for reason whatsoever, even if holding a valid Pay‐in‐slip, will have no other offline option but to opt for online Debit/Credit Card or Internet Banking
- Payment mode on the closing date i.e. till 06.00 PM of 15th October 2019
- Note-2 Candidates should note that payment of exam fee can be made only through the modes prescribed above.
- Payment of fee through any other mode is neither valid nor acceptable. Applications submitted without the prescribed fee/mode (unless remission of fee is claimed) shall be summarily rejected
- Note-3 Fee once paid shall not be refunded under any circumstances nor can the fee be held in reserve for any other examination or selection