Career Options after Engineering Degree
Engineering is the creative application of science, mathematical methods, and empirical evidence to the innovation, design, construction, operation and maintenance of structures, machines, materials, devices, systems, processes, and organizations for the benefit of humankind. The discipline of engineering encompasses a broad range of more specialized fields of engineering, each with a more specific emphasis on particular areas of applied mathematics, applied science, and types of application. Earlier engineering was considered to be one of the best careers choices.
Here’s a lot you must know before you enter the field of engineering
Also See : Engineering Entrance Exams
What are the various career options after doing engineering?
There are various career options available after engineering
Jobs in private sector
- Most of the engineering graduates are being absorbed by private sector only. Private sector has its own benefit over govt. sector like good salary, performance based promotions, department change, job switch, good location, MNC culture etc
Job in Govt. sector
- Jobs in PSU: Jobs in various PSUs like GAIL, SAIL, IOCL, BPCL, NTPC, BEL, BHEL etc. Recruitment is done through GATE score.
- IES (Indian engineering services): It is also known as Engineering Services Examination (ESE) is organized by the Union Public Services commission UPSC, every year. Government of India recruits their civil servants through this exam for their various central departments like Railways, Ordnance factory in defense, PWD etc.
- UPSC (IAS, IPS, IFS, IRS): One of the most toughest exam for Administrative services in central government. Need to clear 3 stage exam conducted by UPSC every year. Most of the toppers are from engineering field only.
- State govt. Jobs: Various state Govt. jobs are available for engineering in their various technical departments like PWD, Electricity, Irrigation, RTO etc. Exams are conducted time to time for various openings.
- Defence Sector: You can join defense sector as a technical person by UES (University entry Scheme), CDS (Combined Defense Services), DRDO and various short service Commission too.
Teaching in Coaching institute (for JEE)
- If you are from good institute like IIT/NIT and has passion for teaching then established coaching institute provide equally good salary as big corporate. It starts with 7-10 lakh per annum (with renowned coaching institute in field) and may go up to crores, if you are the right candidate for job.
Government Job Notifications – Railways, Defence, UPSC Jobs
Social Sector (MSW)
- If you are interested in social sector like NGOs/Nonprofits and salary is not a big concern then there are master’s program available by TISS (Tata institute of social science, Mumbai), Karve institute Pune are well known name. You can also join Prime minister rural Fellowship program to kick start in social sector before joining any course professionally.
MSW Admission Notifications 2019
- This is a new trend now a day where you can start something of your own with just 2-3 people working with you on small scale. Government is also supporting this initiative with proper guidance and mentorship program. They also support it by providing financial support in terms of loan and other benefits.
- This is one of the off stream career option after engineering if you are interested. You can join Post graduate diploma courses in Journalism and Mass Communication provided by various good institutes.
- Another options may be Film Making, Event Management, Photography and many more, it totally depend on your interest thereafter that which fields attract your more. Each field is having a lot of engineers who are doing these non-conventional jobs as career options.
- Be it Nana Patekar who is an IIT Mumbai alumni or Nitish Kumar (politician) who is also an engineer.
Also See : Mass Communication and Journalism Admission
If you want to go for post-graduation programs then there are mainly 2 options
i) Technical Field
- M.tech + PhD Programs
- Research Fellow
After doing these programs you can join corporate, teaching, research labs in govt. sector like BARC(Bhabha Atomic Research Center),TIFR,ISRO,NCL,IISER,CSIR,IUCAA (Inter- University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics),etc
Also See: M.Tech Admission Notification
ii) Non-Technical Field
There are some very popular combinations after B.Tech which are highly welcomed in corporate sector and deserve good packages too.
- B.Tech + MBA
- B.Tech + LLB
- B.Tech + Patent And Intellectual property rights
- B.Tech + CFA
After doing these options you can again join corporate sector with a handsome package. If you want to choose some non-conventional route of career then there are other options too like
Also See: Entrance Exams for jobs after Graduation