GATE 2020 Notification - Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
GATE 2020 Exam - Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2020
GATE 2020 - Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a National Level Entrance Test through which candidates can find admission into M. Tech./M.E./PhD Programs in IITs, IISERs, IISc and other known Institutes of India. IISc and IITs are the responsible authorities that conduct this exam on rotational basis.
If you are planning to appear in GATE 2020, then the details available below, will be beneficial for you
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a National Level Exam. It is conducted to offer admission into Master's & Direct Doctoral Programs in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and Doctoral Program in relevant branches of Science
- GATE 2020 - Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras will conduct GATE 2020 in online mode on 01st, 02nd, 08th & 09th February 2020, and for 24 Papers
- GATE 2020 is a National Level Post Graduate Entrance Exam for admission to M.E./M.Tech & PhD Programs at IITs, IISc, NITs, GFTIs and other Universities in India
- GATE is an examination conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and Seven (07) Indian Institutes of Technology (at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB)-GATE
- Candidates can get complete information about GATE 2019 including pre-exam (application submission, eligibility, exam centers, etc., exam pattern, are given below.
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is basically an exam on the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/Technology/Architecture & Post-Graduate Level subjects in Science
- GATE 2020 will be conducted for 24 subjects (also referred to as “papers”) and it would be distributed over 01st, 02nd, 08th & 09th of February 2020
- The GATE Exam centres are spread in different cities across India, as well as, in six cities abroad. The Exam would be purely a Computer Based Test (CBT).
- The GATE score would reflect the relative performance level of the candidate in a particular subject, which is quantified based on the several years of exam data
- Note that the GATE 2020 score is valid for THREE YEARS from the date of announcement of the results
- The Organizing Institute for GATE 2020 is Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM)
Also See: Engineering Entrance Exams
Important Dates for GATE 2020
- GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens: 3rd September 2019
- Closing Date for Submission of (Online) Application (through Website):
24th September 2019extended to 26th September 2019
- Extended Closing Date for Submission of (Online) Application (through Website): 01st October 2019
- Admit Card will be available in the Online Application Portal (for printing): January 2020
Date of GATE 2020 Exam:
- 1st February 2020 (Saturday)
- 02nd February 2020 (Sunday)
- 08th February 2020(Saturday)
- 09th February 2020 (Sunday)
- Exam Time:
- Forenoon: 09:00 AM to 12:00 Noon (Tentative)
- Afternoon: 02:00 PM to 05:00 PM (Tentative)
- Announcement of the Results in the Online Application Portal Saturday 16th March 2020
Eligibility Criteria for GATE 2020
- Age Limit – There is no age limit for GATE applicants.
- Nationality – The candidates should be of Indian nationality. Candidates belonging to Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Ethiopia and United Arab Emirates will also be eligible for GATE 2019.
- Before starting the application process, the candidate must ensure that he/she meets the educational eligibility criteria of GATE 2019, which are enumerated in given below:
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/Technology) and those who are in the final year of such programs
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Architecture (Five years course) and those who are in the final year of such programs
- Bachelor’s degree holders of Four-year program in Science (B.S.) and those who are in the final year of such programs
- Master’s degree holders in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programs
- Holders of Four-year Integrated Master’s degree (Post B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology and those who are in the second or higher year of such programs
- Holders of Five-year Integrated Master’s degree or Dual Degree in Engineering/Technology and those who are in the fourth or higher year of such programs
- Holders of Five-year integrated M.Sc. or Five-year integrated B.Sc. /M.Sc. degree and those who are in the final year of such programs
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through exams conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE/MHRD as equivalent to BE/B. Tech; those who have completed Section A of AMIE or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible
- There is no minimum pass percentage in the qualifying degree while applying for GATE 2020
Exam Pattern for GATE 2020
- GATE 2020 Examination will be conducted for 24 papers (subjects)
- A candidate can appear for only one of the 24 GATE papers. The exam for all the papers will be conducted in an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT) mode where the candidates will be shown the questions on a computer screen
- All the papers of the GATE 2020 Exam will be for 3 hours duration and they consist of 65 questions for a total of 100 marks. Since the Exam is an Online Computer Based Test, at the end of the stipulated time (3-hours), computer will automatically close the screen inhibiting any further action
- Candidates will be permitted to occupy their allotted seats 40 minutes before the scheduled start of the exam
- Candidates can login and start reading the instructions 20 minutes before the start of exam. Candidate will NOT be permitted to enter the examination hall after 09:30 hours in the forenoon session and after 14:30 hours in the afternoon session
- Candidates will NOT be permitted to leave the examination hall before the end of the exam
Pattern of Questions
- GATE 2020 would contain questions of two different types in all the papers:
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) carrying 1 or 2 marks each in all the papers and sections. These questions are objective in nature, and each will have a choice of four answers, out of which the candidate has to select (mark) the correct answer.
- Negative Marking for Wrong Answers: For a wrong answer chosen in a MCQ, there will be negative marking. For 1-mark MCQ, 1/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer. Likewise, for 2-mark MCQ, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
- Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions carrying 1 or 2 marks each in all the papers and sections. There is NO negative marking for a wrong answer in NAT questions.
- In all the papers, there will be a total of 65 questions carrying 100 marks, out of which 10 questions carrying a total of 15 marks will be on General Aptitude (GA), which is intended to test the Language and Analytical Skills
- In the papers bearing the codes AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XE, the Engineering Mathematics will carry around 15% of the total marks, the General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and the remaining 70% of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper.
- In the papers bearing the codes AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, ST and XL, the General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and the remaining 85% of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper.
- For further details regarding exam pattern, please refer to the website www.gate.iitg.ac.in
- Syllabus for each of the papers, previous years GATE (model) question papers, and mock exam links along with virtual scientific calculator will be available on GATE 2020 website https://gate.iitd.ac.in
Also See : GATE exam syllabus
Exam Centre for GATE 2020
- GATE 2020 Exams will be conducted in the following cities abroad: Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Colombo (Sri Lanka), Dhaka (Bangladesh), Dubai (UAE), Kathmandu (Nepal), Singapore
- The application fee for Dubai (UAE) and Singapore centres is US$ 100; and for the remaining it is US$ 50. Candidates of any nationality can opt for international centres.
- Tentative list of the cities (zone-wise) in which GATE 2020 Exam is planned to be held. Also given below are the details of the Zonal GATE Offices
- IISc Bangalore Bengaluru – [Ananthapuramu, Angamaly, Bagalkot, Ballari (Bellary), Belagavi (Belgaum), Bengaluru, Bidar, Davanagere, Hassan, Hubballi (Hubli), Hyderabad, Kalaburagi (Gulbarga), Kannur, Kasaragod, Kolar, Kozhikode, Kurnool, Malappuram, Mangaluru, Manipal, Mysuru (Mysore), Palakkad, Payyanur, Port Blair, Shivamogga (Shimoga), Thrissur, Tumakuru, Vatakara]
- IIT Bombay, Powai Mumbai – [Ahmedabad, Ahmednagar, Amravati, Anand, Aurangabad, Baramati, Bhavnagar, Bhuj, Gandhinagar, Goa, Jalgaon, Kankavli, Kolhapur, Mehsana, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nanded, Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Pune, Rajkot, Ratnagiri, Sangli, Satara, Solapur, Surat, Thane, Vadodara]
- IIT Delhi, HauzKhas,New Delhi – [Ajmer, Alwar, Bahadurgarh-Rohtak, Bikaner, Faridabad, Greater Noida, Gurugram, Hisar, Indore, Jaipur, Jammu, Jodhpur, Karnal, Kota, Mathura, New Delhi, Palwal, Samba, Sikar, Udaipur, Ujjain]
- IIT Guwahati – [Agartala, Asansol-Durgapur, Burdwan, Dhanbad, Dibrugarh, Gangtok, Guwahati, Imphal, Itanagar, Jorhat, Kalyani, Muzaffarpur, Patna, Shillong, Silchar, Siliguri, Tezpur]
- IIT Kanpur– [Agra, Aligarh, Allahabad, Bareilly, Bhopal, Gorakhpur, Gwalior, Jabalpur, Kanpur, Lucknow, Varanasi]
- IIT Kharagpur– [Balasore, Berhampur (Odisha), Bhilai, Bhimavaram, Bhubaneswar, Bilaspur (CG), Cuttack, Eluru, Hooghly, Jamshedpur, Kakinada (Surampalem), Kharagpur, Kolkata, Raipur, Rajamahendravaram (Rajahmundry), Ranchi, Rourkela, Sambalpur, Tadepalligudem, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram]
- IIT Madras Chennai – [Alappuzha, Aluva, Attingal, Bapatla, Chengannur, Chennai, Chittoor, Coimbatore, Cuddalore, Dindigul, Ernakulam, Erode-Thiruchengode, Gudur, Guntur, Idukki, Kadapa, Kanjirapally, Kanyakumari-Nagercoil, Karimnagar, Karur, Khammam, Kollam, Kothamangalam, Kottayam, Madurai, Muvattupuzha, Nalgonda, Namakkal, Nedumangad, Nellore, Ongole, Pala, Puducherry (Pondicherry), Punalur, Salem, Thanjavur, Thiruvananthapuram, Thiruvannamalai, Tiruchirapalli, Tirunelveli, Tirupati, Tuticorin, Vellore, Villupuram, Virudhunagar, Warangal]
- IIT Roorkee– [Ambala, Amritsar, Baddi (HP), Bathinda, Bhimtal, Dehradun, Ghaziabad, Haldwani, Hamirpur (HP), Jalandhar, Khanna, Kurukshetra, Ludhiana, Meerut, Mohali, Moradabad, Muzaffarnagar, Noida, Panipat, Pathankot, Patiala, Roorkee, Sangrur, Shimla-Solan, Sonepat, Una, Yamunanagar]
All candidates must apply Online. Further details and Online Application Form can be obtained by accessing any of the GATE zonal website:
- IISc Bangalore (gate.iisc.ernet.in)
- IIT Bombay (www.gate.iitb.ac.in)
- IIT Delhi (gate.ittd.ac.in)
- IIT Guwahati (www.iitg.enent.in/gate)
- IIT Kanpur (www.iitk.ac.in)
- IIT Kharagpur (www.gate.iitkgp.ac.in)
- IIT Madras (gate.iitm.ac.in)
- IIT Roorkee (www.gate.iitr.enert.in)
GATE 2020 Admit Card
- The Admit Card for GATE 2020 will be available ONLY on GOAPS website
- A candidate has to download his/her Admit Card from this website. The Admit Card would be available for download, tentatively from 1st week of January 2020. Note that the Admit Cards will NOT be sent to the candidates by post/e-mail
- Candidates must bring a print-out of the downloaded Admit Card to the Exam for verification along with the original and valid photo Identity Document (NO photocopy/scanned copy/NOT an expired document), which was specified during the filling up of the online application (for example: Passport, PAN card, Voter ID, Aadhaar-UID, College ID, Employee ID and Driving License)
GATE 2020 Application Procedure
- Application for GATE 2020 must be submitted ONLINE (through GOAPS website – https://gate.iitd.ac.in) by paying necessary application fee
- For GATE 2020, all information related to the application process will be available in the GOAPS website
- The photograph, signature, certificate of qualifying degree, category certificate (SC/ST/PwD) and/or Dyslexic certificate, wherever applicable, must be uploaded during the online application
- Candidates must enter the ID number specified in any one of the following IDs: Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Aadhaar-UID, College ID, Employee ID and Driving License. The candidates, who do not possess any of these identity cards, may please procure any one of them before making the application.
- Please note that the GATE application form is not available for sale or otherwise anywhere
Details of the Application Fee are given in below.
- The Application Fee is NEITHER refundable NOR transferable
- Payments have to be made online by using either net banking or debit card or credit card. As per the prevailing norms, additional online transaction charges or bank charges can be applicable. These charges will be specified on the payment portal
For Centres in India
- Female Candidates [on or before 24th Sept. 2019] – Rs.750/-& [During the Extended Period] Rs.1250/-
- SC/ST/PwD Category Candidates [on or before 24th Sept. 2019] – Rs.750/- & [During the Extended Period] Rs.1250/-
- All other Candidates [on or before 24th Sept. 2019] Rs.1500/- & [During the Extended Period] Rs.2000/-
For Centre’s Abroad
- Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu [on or before 24th Sept. 2019]: US$ 50& [During the Exam Period] – US$ 70
- Dubai and Singapore [on or before 24th Sept. 2019]: US$ 100& [During the Exam Period] – US$ 120
- Payments would have to be made through online by using net banking or debit card or e-Challan facilities
- Additional charges will be applicable as per the rule of the bank from where the money is being transferred. This charge will be specified on the payment portal.
GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS)
- GOAPS – https://appsgate.iitm.ac.in is the webpage/web address of the GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). It can also be accessed from the GATE 2020 website (https://gate.iitd.ac.in)
- A candidate must first register by providing Full Name (as per the qualifying degree certificate), a valid email address, mobile number and by choosing a password
- All communications from the GATE Offices will be sent to this email address (ONLY ONE PERSON CAN REGISTER WITH ONE email ADDRESS). Give the personal mobile number and email address, because most of the communication will be through email and/or SMS.
- After due registration, GATE 2020 application must be filled and submitted ONLINE only at GOAPS.
- GATE 2020 results will be announced on the 16th March 2020 and will be available on the GOAPS Website https://gate.iitd.ac.in
- GATE 2020 score is valid for THREE YEARS from the date of announcement of the results
Also See :
Public Sector Recruitment Notifications (Shortlisting through GATE Scores)
Get Free Entrance Exam Alerts and College Admission Guidance >> Click here