UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Examination 2018 - Notification, Dates
UPSC Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination 2018 Notification
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is likely to release the official notification for the Civil Services Examination for 2018 on 07th February 2018. Aspirants can check details on the official website www.upsc.gov.in
As per the annual examination calendar released by UPSC, the application process for both Civil Service (Preliminary) Exam and Indian Forest Services (Preliminary) Exam 2018 through CSP will begin tomorrow and end on 06th March 2018. The Preliminary exam will be conducted on 03rd June 2018
UPSC Civil Services Exam Important Dates 2018
Opening Date of Application: 07th February 2018
Last Date of Application Form: 06th March 2018
UPSC Civil Services (Prelims) to be conducted on: 03rd June 2018
UPSC Civil Services (IAS) Exam 2018 - Vacancy Details
Preliminary Examination of the Civil Services Exam for recruitment to the Services and Posts mentioned below will be held by the Union Public Service Commission.
Name of the Posts:
- Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
- Indian Foreign Service (IFS)
- Indian Police Service (IPS)
- Indian P&T Accounts & Finance Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise), Group ‘A’
- Indian Defence Accounts Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Revenue Service (I.T.), Group ‘A’ (IRS)
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service, Group ‘A’ (Assistant Works Manager, Administration)
- Indian Postal Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Civil Accounts Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Railway Traffic Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Railway Accounts Service, Group 'A'
- Indian Railway Personnel Service, Group ‘A’
- Post of Assistant Security Commissioner in Railway Protection Force, Group ‘A’
- Indian Defence Estates Service, Group ‘A’
- Indian Information Service (Junior Grade), Group ‘A’
- Indian Trade Service, Group 'A' (Gr. III)
- Indian Corporate Law Service, Group "A"
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service, Group ‘B’ (Section Officer’s Grade)
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service, Group 'B'
- Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Service, Group 'B'
- Pondicherry Civil Service, Group 'B'
- Pondicherry Police Service, Group ‘B’
Eligibility Criteria for UPSC Civil Service Exam 2018
- Nationality: For the Indian Administrative Service and the Indian Police Service, a candidate must be a citizen of India.
- For other services, a candidate must be either: (a) a citizen of India, or (b) a subject of Nepal, or (c) a subject of Bhutan, or (d) a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or (e) a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (b), (c), (d) and (e) shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Govt. of India.
- Provided further that candidates belonging to categories (b), (c) and (d) above will not be eligible for appointment to the Indian Foreign Service.
- A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary, may be admitted to the exam but the offer of appointment may be given only after the necessary eligibility certificate has been issued to him/her by the Govt. of India.
- A candidate must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 32 years on the 01st of August 2018 i.e., he must have been born not earlier than 02nd August 1985 and not later than 01st August 1997
- Necessary action to make corresponding changes in respective Rules/Regulations pertaining to various services is being taken separately
- up to a maximum of five years if a candidate belongs to a SC/ST
- up to a maximum of three years in the case of candidates belonging to OBC who are eligible to avail of reservation applicable to such candidates;
- up to a maximum of five years if a candidate had ordinarily been domiciled in the State of Jammu and Kashmir during the period from the 01st January 1981 to the 31st day of December
- up to a maximum of five years in the case of ex-servicemen including Commissioned Officers and ECOs/SSCOs who have rendered at least five years Military Service as on 01st August 2018 and have been released
Also See : UPSC Exam
- Candidate must hold a degree of any of Universities incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University under Section-3 of the UGC Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification.
- Candidates who have appeared at an examination the passing of which would render them educationally qualified for the Commission’s exam but have not been informed of the results as also the candidates who intend to appear at such a qualifying exam will also be eligible for admission to the Preliminary Exam.
- All candidates who are declared qualified by the Commission for taking the Civil Services (Main) Exam will be required to produce proof of passing the requisite exam with their application for the Main.
- Examination failing which such candidates will not be admitted to the Main Exam
- In exceptional cases the Union Public Service Commission may treat a candidate who has not any of the foregoing qualifications as a qualified candidate provided that he/she has passed exam conducted by the other Institutions, the standard of which in the opinion of the Commission justifies his/her admission to the exam
- Candidates possessing professional and technical qualifications, which are recognised by the Govt. as equivalent to professional and technical degree, would also be eligible for admission to the exam
- Candidates who have passed the final professional MBBS or any other Medical Exam but have not completed their internship by the time of submission of their applications for the
- Civil Services (Main) Exam, will be provisionally admitted to the Exam provided they submit along with their application a copy of certificate from the concerned authority of the University/Institution that they had passed the requisite final professional medical exam
Number of Attempts:
- Every candidate appearing at the exam, who is otherwise eligible, shall be permitted six attempts at the examination.
- Provided that this restriction on the number of attempts will not apply in the case of SC and ST candidates who are otherwise eligible.
- Selection procedure of civil services exam 2018 will complete in two stages - Preliminary Exam (MCQ type), Mains Exam (descriptive type) and Personal Interview.
- Qualified candidates of preliminary examination will be called for Mains Exam followed by personal interview for final selection.
UPSC Civil Services Exam Pattern
- The Competitive Exam comprises two successive stages: (i) Civil Services (Preliminary) Exam (Objective Type) for the selection of candidates for Main Exam and (ii) Civil Service (Main) Exam (Written and Interview) for the selection of candidates of the various service and posts.
- The preliminary Exam will consist of two papers of Objective Type (Multiple Choice Questions) and carry a maximum of 400 marks in the subjects set out in sub-section screening test only.
- The marks obtained in the Preliminary examination by the candidate who are declared qualified for admission to the Main Examination will not be counted for determining their final order of merit.
Main Exam contains:
- Paper-I: Essay 250 marks
- Paper-II: General Studies-I, 250 Marks
- Paper-III: General Studies-II, 250 Marks
- Paper-IV: General Studies-III, 250 Marks
- Paper-V: General Studies-IV, 250 Marks
- Paper-VI: Optical Subjects - Paper-1: 250 Marks
- Paper-VII: Optical Subjects - Paper-2: 250 Marks
- Sub-Total (Written Test): 1750 Marks
- Grand Total: 2025 Marks
- UPSC will prepare merit list on the basis of candidates’ performance & high marks aggregate scored in Mains & interview
Exam Centres (Tentative)
- Agartala, Ahmedabad, Aizawl, Aligarh, Allahabad, Aurangabad, Bangalore, Bareilly, Bhopal, Agartala, Ahmedabad, Aizawl, Aligarh, Allahabad, Aurangabad, Bangalore, Bareilly, Bhopal, Imphal, Itanagar, Jaipur, Jammu, Jodhpur, Jorhat, Kochi, Kohima, Kolkata, Lucknow, Madurai, Mumbai, Nagpur, Panaji (Goa), Patna, Puducherry, Port Blair, Raipur, Ranchi, Sambalpur, Shillong, Shimla, Srinagar, Thiruvananthapuram, Tirupati, Udaipur and Vishakhapatnam
- Candidates (excepting Female/SC/ST/PH Candidates who are exempted from payment of fee) are required to pay fee of Rs.100/- either by remitting the money in any Branch of SBI by Cash, or by using net banking facility of State Bank of India/State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur/State Bank of Hyderabad/State Bank of Mysore/ State Bank of Patiala /State Bank of Travancore or by using Visa/Master Credit/Debit Card
- Applicants who opt for "Pay by Cash" mode should print the system generated Pay-in-slip during part II registration and deposit the fee at the counter of SBI Branch on the next working day only. "Pay by Cash” mode will be deactivated at 23.59 hours of 5th March 2018 i.e. one day before the closing date.
- However, applicants who have generated their Pay-in-Slip before it is deactivated may pay
UPSC Civil Services Exam 2018 Application - How to Apply
- Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination 2018 (Including IFoSE-2018) - Online application form to be available from 07th February 2018 on https://upsconline.nic.in only
- Candidates applying for the examination should ensure that they fulfill all eligibility conditions for admission to examination. Aspirants can check details on the official website www.upsc.gov.in
- Candidates are required to apply Online by using the website www.upsconline.nic.in
- Detailed instructions for filling up online applications are available on the above mentioned website. Brief Instructions for filling up the "Online Application Form" given in Appendix-II
- Online Applications can be filled up to 06th March 2018 till 06.00 PM
- The eligible candidates shall be issued an e-Admission Certificate 3-weeks before the commencement of the exam; the e-Admission Certificate will be made available in the UPSC website www.upsc.gov.in for downloading by candidates
- No Admission Certificate will be sent by post