IIT JAM 2020 - IIT Joint Admission Test for MSc Admission 2020
IIT JAM 2020 - Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test MSc
IIT JAM 2020 - Joint Admission Test for MSc (JAM) is 2020 conducted by Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and IISc. It is a national level exam, which is conducted in online mode. This year, IIT Kanpur is conducting JAM 2020.
Also See : IIT JAM 2020 Answer Key released, Check now!
The exam dates for the exam are out and it will be held on 09th February 2020. The registration for JAM starts on 05th September 2020
IIT JAM 2020
- IIT JAM 2020 will be conducted for 20 subjects offered by the participating IIT’s. IIT Kanpur will released the notification related to JAM 2020 on August 2019
- The 19 participating institutes offer various programs such as M.Sc., Joint M.Sc.-PhD, M.Sc. PhD Dual Program, Integrated PhD, M.Sc.-M.Tech, M.Sc.-M.S. (Research), and other Postgraduate Programs
- Candidates can check here for the details related to the admission procedure, registration and application process, eligibility and other procedures related to the exam. JAM 2020 will be conducted in the online mode.
Also See : Integrated PhD Admissions
What is the IIT JAM 2020?
- About JAM - Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test - IIT JAM 2020 invites applications from eligible candidates for admission to Integrated PhD Degree Programs at IIS Bangalore & M.Sc. (2 Years), Joint M.Sc.-PhD, M.Sc.- PhD Dual Degree, M.Sc.- M.Tech. M.Sc.-M.S. (Research)/PhD Dual Degree and Other Post - Bachelor's Degree Programs for the academic year 2020-21
- The main objective of JAM is to revive and consolidate ‘Science’ as a career option for bright students from across the country and provide them a single step opportunity for admission to some of the postgraduate programs offered at the IITs
- In due course, JAM is also expected to become a benchmark for normalizing undergraduate level science education in the country
Also See : MSc Admissions
IIT JAM 2020 Courses Offered at:
- Admission to M.Sc. (Two Years), Joint M.Sc.- Ph.D., M.Sc.- Ph.D. Dual Degree, and other Post-Bachelor Degree Programs at Indian Institutes of Technology Bhubaneswar, Bombay, Delhi, Dhanbad, Gandhinagar, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jodhpur, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Patna, Roorkee, Ropar, Varanasi & Integrated PhD Programs at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- The following are the full-time M.Sc. (Two Years), Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D., M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree, and other Post-Bachelor’s Degree Programs at different IITs and Integrated PhD Programs at the IISc to which admissions shall be made on the basis of JAM 2020.
IIT JAM 2020 Participation Institutes
- IISc Bangalore (www.iisc.ernet.in)
- IIT Bhubaneswar (www.iitbbs.ac.in)
- IIT Bombay (www.iitb.ac.in)
- IIT Delhi (www.iitd.ac.in)
- IIT (ISM) Dhanbad (www.iitism.ac.in)
- IIT Gandhinagar (www.iitgn.ac.in)
- IIT Guwahati (www.iitg.ernet.in)
- IIT Hyderabad (www.iith.ac.in)
- IIT Indore (www.iiti.ac.in)
- IIT Jodhpur (www.iitj.ac.in)
- IIT Kanpur (www.iitk.ac.in)
- IIT Kharagpur (www.iitkgp.ac.in)
- IIT Madras (www.iitm.ac.in)
- IIT Patna (www.iitp.ac.in)
- IIT Roorkee (www.iitr.ac.in)
- IIT Ropar (www.iitrpr.ac.in)
- IIT Varanasi (www.iitbhu.ac.in)
- IIT Bhilai (www.iitbhilai.ac.in)
- IIT Palakkad (www.iitpkd.ac.in)
- JAM score will also be used by other centrally funded technical institutions like NITs, IIEST Shibpur, SLIET Punjab and IISERs for admission to their programs
Also See : Latest Notifications
IIT JAM 2020 Dates
- Commencement of Online Registration & Application on JAM 2020 Website: 05th September 2019
- Last Date for Online Application Submission and Uploading of Documents on the Website: 08th October 2019
- Mock Test Link: To be announced later
- Admit Card Download: 07th January 2020
- Date of JAM 2019 Examination: 09th February 2020
- Announcement of the Results of JAM 2019: 20th March 2020
- Submission of Application Form for Admission on the JAM 2019 Website: 09th to 22nd April 2020
- Last Date for receipt of request for change of category in proper format/ rectification of defective documents at IIT Kanpur: 04th May 2020
- Declaration of First Admission List: 01st June 2020
- Declaration of Second Admission List: 16th June 2020
- Declaration of Third and Final Admission List: 29th June 2020
- Closure of Admissions through JAM 2020: 03rd July 2020
Also See : Admission Notifications
IIT JAM 2020 Eligibility Criteria
- The candidates who qualify in JAM 2020 shall have to fulfill the following Eligibility Requirements (ERs) for admissions to IITs
- All candidates admitted through JAM should have a Bachelor’s degree
- In the qualifying degree, the aggregate marks or CGPA/CPI without rounding-off (taking into account all subjects, including languages and subsidiaries, all years combined) should be at least 55% or 5.5 out of 10 for General/OBC (NCL) category candidates, and 50% or 5.0 out of 10 for SC/ST and PwD category candidates
- If CGPA/CPI is on a different scale, it would be linearly mapped to a scale on 10. For Candidates with letter grades/CGPA (instead of percentage of marks), the equivalence in percentage of marks will be decided by the Admitting Institute(s). Proof of having passed the Qualifying Degree with the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQ) as specified by the Admitting Institute should be submitted by 30th September 2019
- At the time of admission, all admitted candidates will have to submit a Physical Fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the prescribed form. At the time of admission, the admitted candidates may also have to undergo a Physical Fitness test by a medical board constituted by the Admitting Institute
- In case a candidate is not found physically fit to pursue his/her chosen course of study, his/her admission is liable to be cancelled
- It will entirely be the responsibility of the Candidate to prove that he/she satisfies the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) and Eligibility Requirements (ERs) for Admission
- The Admitting Institute has the right to cancel, at any stage, the admission of a candidate who is found to have been admitted to a course to which he/she is not entitled, being unqualified or ineligible in accordance with the rules and regulations in force
Test Papers & Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQS)
- JAM 2020 Exam will be conducted in seven subjects, also referred to as Test Papers;
- 1. Biotechnology (BT),
- 2. Chemistry (CY),
- 3. Geology (GG),
- 4. Mathematics (MA),
- 5. Mathematical Statistics (MS) and
- 6. Physics (PH)
- Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) for admission to various Academic Programs covered under JAM 2019 are given in Appendix-II, along with the names of the Test Papers and their Codes and the Institute offering the Academic Programs
Also See : PhD Admissions
- Only candidates who qualify in JAM 2020 (whose names appear in the Merit List) will be eligible to apply for admission to any of the academic programs available at IITs (refer to Appendices-I & II of this Information Brochure)
- Based on the test paper(s) qualified, an applicant can apply to one or more academic programs covered under that test paper(s), subject to fulfillment of the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) and the Eligibility Requirements (ERs) of the Admitting Institutes
- After JAM 2020 results are announced, a qualified candidate should have to apply ONLINE only using the prescribed Admission Form available at JOAPS website, irrespective of IITs where the admission is sought. The period for submission of online Admission Form is April 9, 2020 to April 22, 2020.
- NOTE to OBC-NCL/EWS Candidates: The candidates must upload a valid OBC-NCL/EWS certificate issued after March 31, 2019, in the prescribed format when they submit their application form for admission after the declaration of JAM 2020 results. The final seat allotment will be done based on the OBC-NCL/EWS certificate submitted along with the application form for admission. The candidate will be considered in the General category in case the OBC-NCL/EWS Certificate is invalid or not in the prescribed format or not uploaded within the specified time.
- Taking into consideration the order of preference as given in the Admission Form and corresponding rank(s) in the Merit List, the First Admission List for each programme under JAM 2020 will be prepared by the Organizing Institute and will be announced on June 01, 2020 (Monday) on JAM 2020 website.
Exam Pattern of Test Papers
- The JAM 2020 Exam for all the seven test papers will be carried out as Online Computer Based Test (CBT) where the candidates will be shown the questions in a random sequence on a computer screen
- For all the seven test papers, the duration of the exam will be of 3 hours. The medium for all the test papers will be English only. There will be a total of 60 questions carrying a total of 100 marks
- The entire paper will be divided into three sections, A, B and C. All sections are compulsory. Questions in each section will be of different types as given below:
- Section-A contains a total of 30 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) involving 10 questions of one mark each and 20 questions of two marks each. Each MCQ has four choices out of which only one choice is the correct answer. Candidates can mark the answer by clicking the choice
- Section-B contains a total of 10 Multiple Select Questions (MSQs) carrying two marks each. Each MSQ is similar to MCQ but with a difference that there may be one or more than one choice(s) is correct out of the four given choices
- Section-C contains a total of 20 Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions involving 10 questions of one mark each and 10 questions of two marks each. No choices will be shown for these types of questions.
- Mobile phones or any other electronic devices are strictly prohibited inside examination hall. Charts, graph sheets, and tables are also NOT allowed inside the examination hall.
- In all sections, questions not attempted will result in zero mark. In Section-A (MCQ), wrong answer will result in negative marks. For each wrong answer to 1 mark questions, 1/3 mark will be deducted and similarly for each wrong answer to 2 marks questions, 2/3 mark will be deducted. In Section-B (MSQ), there are no negative and no partial marking provisions. There is no negative marking in Section-C (NAT) as well.
- The JAM 2020 online Exam will be held on 09th February 2020 (Sunday) in two sessions as Computer Based Test (CBT). The schedule for different Test Papers of JAM 2020 is given in below
- Session 1 will include Biotechnology (BT), Physics (PH), Mathematical Statistics (MS). Session II will include Mathematics (MA), Chemistry (CY) and Geology (GG).
- JAM 2020 Exam will be conducted for the six test papers, namely: Biotechnology (BT), Chemistry (CY), Geology (GG), Mathematics (MA), Mathematical Statistics (MS) and Physics (PH)
Test Paper Schedule
- Session-I: 09.30 AM to 12.30 Noon [Papers - Biotechnology (BT), Physics (PH), Mathematical Statistics (MS]
- Session-II: 02.30 PM to 05.30 PM [Papers - Mathematics (MA), Chemistry (CY) and Geology (GG)]
JAM 2020 Exam Cities
- The JAM 2020 Exam is conducted in collaboration with eight zones. The names of these eight zones and the locations of Exam Cities/Towns for JAM 2020 are listed zone-wise in Appendix-III. Candidates must specify their first, second and third choice cities at the time of applying for JAM 2020 exam.
- IISc Bangalore [Bengaluru, Hubballi (Hubli), Hyderabad, Kannur, Kozhikode, Mangaluru (Mangalore), Palakkad, Thrissur]
- IIT Bombay [Ahmedabad, Goa, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nanded, Nashik, Pune, Vadodara]
- IIT Delhi [Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Greater Noida, Gurgaon, Hisar, Indore, Jaipur, Jammu, Jodhpur, New Delhi]
- IIT Guwahati [Asansol – Durgapur, Dhanbad, Dibrugarh, Guwahati, Jorhat, Kalyani, Patna, Siliguri]
- IIT Kanpur [Agra, Allahabad, Bareilly, Bhopal, Kanpur, Lucknow, Varanasi]
- IIT Kharagpur [Bhubaneswar, Kharagpur, Kolkata, Raipur, Ranchi, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam]
- IIT Madras [Chennai, Coimbatore, Ernakulam, Kollam, Kottayam, Madurai, Thiruvananthapuram,Tiruchirappalli,Tirunelveli,Tirupati,Warangal]
- IIT Roorkee [Dehradun, Jalandhar, Kurukshetra, Mohali, Noida, Moradabad, Roorkee]
IIT JAM 2020 Application Form
- The Information Brochure and all other Information related to JAM 2020 will be updated time to time on the Website https://jam.iitk.ac.in
- Candidates can apply for JAM 2020 only through JAM Online Application Processing System (JOAPS) link available at the website https://jam.iitk.ac.in
- The facility for Online Registration and Application will be available through the website https://jam.iitk.ac.in from 05th September 2019
- A candidate has to first register on JOAPS website, by providing his/her name, a valid E-mail address, a working mobile number and a password.
- The candidate must give an E-mail address that he/she uses and checks frequently, as all communication to the candidate from JAM 2020 will be sent to this E-mail address. The candidate must not use somebody else's E-mail address and only one candidate can be registered with one E-mail address.
- One Test Paper - Female (All Categories)/SC/ST/PwD Rs.750/-
- Two Test Paper - Female (All Categories)/SC/ST/PwD Rs.1050/-
- All Others [One Test Paper] - Female (All Categories)/SC/ST/PwD Rs.1500/-
- All (Two Paper Test) - (All Categories)/SC/ST/PwD Rs.2100/-
- The application fee is non-refundable
- JAM 2020 is open to all nationals (Indian/Fo0reign). Candidates seeking admission to the academic programs covered under JAM 2020 need to appear in JAM 2020. There is no age restriction.
- JAM 2019 Exam will be held on 09th February 2020 (Sunday) as a Computer Based ONLINE Exam
- For admission, foreign nationals are required to satisfy the rules and regulations of the admitting Institute(s) pertaining to foreign students. For further details, they are advised to contact the concerned Admitting Institute(s)
- To apply for admission to a desired program, a candidate is required to qualify in the relevant Test Paper and also satisfy the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) and Eligibility Requirements (ERs) of the respective Academic Program
- Candidates who have either appeared or are due to appear in the final exam of their qualifying degree in 2020 are also eligible to appear in JAM 2020. By qualifying in JAM 2020, candidates can apply for a provisional admission subject to the condition that: (a) all parts of their final exam shall be completed by the date of registration of the Admitting Institute, and (b) proof of having passed the qualifying degree with required eligibility, as specified by the Admitting Institute, should be submitted by 30th September 2020.
- On the basis of performance in JAM 2020, for each test paper, separate merit lists will be prepared for General (GEN), OBC Non-Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL), SC, ST, and Persons with Disability (PwD) category candidates
- In all matters concerning JAM 2020, the decision of the Organizing Institute or the Organizing Chairman, JAM 2020 will be final and binding on all the applicants
JAM Admit Card 2020
- An Admit Card, bearing the Candidate’s Name, Registration No., Photograph, Signature and Name(s) and Code(s) of the Test Paper(s) applied, along with the Name and Address of the Test Centre allotted, will be available for download from JOAPS website from 07th January 2020 until the Exam Date.
- Admit Cards will not be sent by post/Email
- Candidate should carefully examine the Admit Card for all the entries made therein. In case of any discrepancy, the Candidate should inform the Organizing Chairperson, JAM 2020, IIT Kanpur immediately
- A printout of the downloaded Admit Card must be brought to the Test Centre along with the original and valid photo identification
- Rank List For each test paper in JAM 2020, an All India Rank (AIR) will be assigned to all the appeared candidates based on their performance in the test paper.
- The results (merit lists) will be declared on 20th March 2020
- The results will be available on the website https://jam.iitk.ac.in. For each test paper, an All India Merit list will be prepared based on AIR
- The number of candidates included in the All India Merit List will depend on the total number of seats available in each category (OBC-NCL, SC, ST, and PwD) in a given subject
- Organizing Chairperson JAM-2020, GATE-JAM Office, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur- Kalyanpur, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh 208016, Phone No.: 0512 259 015, Website: http://www.iitk.ac.in/
Also See :