Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras announces Joint Admission Test for Masters (IIT JAM) 2024 for MSc Admission
IIT JAM 2024 – Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras invites online application for Joint Admission Test (IIT JAM) 2024 for admission to Master of Science and other Post-Graduate Science Programs across multiple disciplines by premier institutes across the country.
A national level Joint Admission Test for Masters is scheduled to be conducted in online mode on 11th February 2024 (Sunday). IIT Madras is the organizing institute for JAM 2024
IIT JAM 2024
About JAM 2024
- JAM 2024 is a Computer Based Test (CBT) to be conducted in SEVEN different subjects: Biotechnology (BT), Chemistry (CY), Economics (EN), Geology (GG), Mathematical Statistics (MS), Mathematics (MA), Physics (PH).
- Fully objective type, with three types of questions: (i) Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ), (ii) Multiple Select Questions (MSQ), and (iii) Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
- Candidates can appear for either ONE or TWO test papers.
- JAM Score is used for admission to various postgraduate programmes such as (i) M.Sc., (ii) M.Sc. (Tech.), (iii) MS (Research), (iv) M.Sc. – M.Tech. Dual Degree, (v) Joint M.Sc. – Ph.D., and (vi) M.Sc. – Ph.D. Dual Degree, across multiple disciplines by premier institutes across the country.
List of Programs Offered through JAM Exam 2024
- Integrated Ph.D. in Biological Sciences
- M.Sc in Applied Geology
- M.Sc in Applied Geophysics
- Master of Science in Applied Statistics and Informatics
- MSc in Biotechnology
- MSc in Mathematics
- Master of Science in Chemistry
- MSc in Physics
- Master of Science – Ph.D. dual degree in Environmental Science and Engineering
- MSc-Ph.D dual degree in Operations Research
- Master of Science – M.Tech. in Materials Science with a specialization in Nano Science and Technology
- MSc in Mathematics and Computing
- Joint M.Sc-Ph.D in Geology
- Master of Science Ph.D. dual degree in Physics
- Joint M.Sc-Ph.D in Physics
- MSc-Ph.D in Geophysics
- Joint M.Sc-Ph.D in Chemistry
- Joint M.Sc-Ph.D in Mathematics
- MSc in Economics
- Joint M.Sc-Ph.D in Atmosphere & Operations Sciences
IIT JAM 2024 Important Dates
- JAM Online Application Processing System (JOAPS) Website Opens: September 05, 2023
- Last Date for Online Registration/Application Submission: October 13, 2023 (Friday)
- Availability of JAM Admit Cards on the Online Application Portal
- (for Download and Printing): January 08, 2024 (Monday)
- Date of Examination: February 11, 2024 (Sunday)
- Announcement of the Results: March 22, 2024 (Friday)
- Availability of Scorecards for download: April 02, 2024 (Tuesday)
- Portal for Admission Opens: April 10, 2024 (Wednesday)
IIT JAM 2024 Participation Institutes
There are around 3000 seats in postgraduate programs at 21 IITs for the academic year 2024-25.
- Admitting Institutes: Website IIT Bhilai: https://www.iitbhilai.ac.in
- IIT Bhubaneswar: https://www.iitbbs.ac.in
- IIT Bombay: https://www.iitb.ac.in
- IIT Delhi: https://home.iitd.ac.in/
- IIT (ISM) Dhanbad: http://www.iitism.ac.in
- IIT Gandhinagar: https://www.iitgn.ac.in
- IIT Guwahati: https://www.iitg.ac.in
- IIT Hyderabad: https://www.iith.ac.in
- IIT Indore: https://www.iiti.ac.in
- IIT Jammu: https://www.iitjammu.ac.in
- IIT Jodhpur: https://www.iitj.ac.in
- IIT Kanpur: https://iitk.ac.in
- IIT Kharagpur: https://www.iitkgp.ac.in
- IIT Madras: https://www.iitm.ac.in
- IIT Mandi: https://www.iitmandi.ac.in
- IIT Palakkad: https://iitpkd.ac.in
- IIT Patna: https://www.iitp.ac.in
- IIT Roorkee: https://www.iitr.ac.in
- IIT Ropar: https://www.iitrpr.ac.in
- IIT Tirupati: https://iittp.ac.in
- IIT (BHU) Varanasi: https://www.iitbhu.ac.in
Eligibility Criteria for IIT JAM 2024
- Candidates who qualify in JAM 2024 must fulfill the following Eligibility Requirements (ERs) for admissions to IITs.
- Candidates should have passed an undergraduate degree or should be currently studying in their final year of undergraduate programme. Proof of having passed the qualifying degree with required eligibility, as specified by the Admitting Institute.
- Candidates promoted without a marksheet should produce a certificate stating the subjects studied in that semester/year duly signed by the Head of the Institute.
- Foreign nationals with Indian degrees are eligible to apply, subject to policy of the Admitting Institute.
- At the time of admission, all admitted candidates will have to submit a Physical Fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the prescribed form. The admitted candidates may also have to undergo a Physical Fitness test by a medical board constituted by the Admitting Institute. Admission is liable to be cancelled if a candidate is found physically unfit to pursue their chosen course of study.
- It is the responsibility of the candidates to prove that they satisfy the Minimum Educational Qualifications (MEQs) and Eligibility Requirements (ERs) for admission.
- The Admitting Institute has the right to cancel, at any stage, the admission of candidates who are found to have been admitted to a Programme to which they are not entitled, being unqualified or ineligible in accordance with the rules and regulations in effect.
- All Information related to JAM 2024 is available on the Website https://jam.iitm.ac.in/
- Candidates can apply for JAM 2024 only through JAM Online Application Processing System (JOAPS) available through the “Candidate Portal” button on the website https://jam.iitm.ac.in from September 5, 2023 to October 13, 2023.
- The steps to apply for JAM are:
- Step 1 – A candidate has to first register on JOAPS website, by providing his/her name, a valid E-mail address, a working mobile number and a password.
- Step 2 – Upon successful registration, an E-mail containing the candidate’s enrolment ID is sent to the E-mail address provided by the candidate
- Step 3 – Fill the application form.
- Step 4 – Upload all the scanned images needed.
- Step 5 – Pay the application fee.
- Step 6 – Print the application form and keep it safe for reference
- The details of the application fee are given below. The application fee is non-refundable.
Female (All Categories) / SC / ST / PwD*
- One Test Paper : Rs 900/-
- Two Test Papers : Rs 1250/-
- One Test Paper : Rs 1800/-
- Two Test Papers : Rs 2500/-
- **Fee Amount – Fee for Changing Examination Cities /Test Papers /Category /Gender is Rs.300/- apart from the applicable difference in Application fee.
Mode of Payment
- Online through Credit card/Debit/Net -banking
- *PwD: Person with benchmark Disability
- Only candidates who qualify in JAM 2024 (whose names appear in the Merit List) will be eligible to apply for admission to any of the academic programs available at IITs.
IIT JAM 2024 Exam Pattern
- The JAM 2024 Examination for all the seven Test Papers will be a Computer Based Test (CBT) where the candidates will be shown the questions in a random sequence on a computer screen.
- For all the seven Test Papers, the duration of the examination will be of 3 hours*.
- The medium for all the Test Papers will be English only.
- There will be a total of 60 questions carrying a total of 100 marks.
- The entire paper will be divided into three sections A, B and C.
- All sections are compulsory.
- Questions in each section will be of different types as given below:
- Section – A contains a total of 30 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) involving 10 questions of one mark each and 20 questions of two marks each. Each MCQ has four choices out of which only one choice is the correct answer. Candidates can mark the answer by clicking the choice.
- Section – B contains a total of 10 Multiple Select Questions (MSQs) carrying two marks each. Each MSQ is similar to MCQ but with the difference that MSQ may have one or more than one correct choice(s) out of the four given choices. The candidate gets full credit only if he/she selects all the correct answer(s) and no wrong answers. Candidates can mark the answer(s) by clicking the choice(s).
- Section – C contains a total of 20 Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions involving 10 questions of one mark each and 10 questions of two marks each. For these NAT type questions, the answer is a signed real number, which needs to be entered using the virtual numeric keypad on the monitor. No choices will be shown for NAT questions.
- In all sections, questions not attempted will result in zero marks.
- In Section – A (MCQ), wrong answers will result in negative marks. For each wrong answer to 1-mark questions, 1/3 mark will be deducted and similarly for each wrong answer to 2-mark questions, 2/3 mark will be deducted.
- In Section – B (MSQ), there are no negative and no partial marking provisions. There is no negative marking in Section – C (NAT) as well.
- IISc Bengaluru: Belagavi/Belgaum [KA], Bengaluru [KA], Bidar [KA], Gulbarga/Kalaburagi [KA], Hassan [KA], Hubbali [KA], Hyderabad [TS], Kannur [KL], Kozhikode [KL], Mangaluru [KA], Mysuru (Mysore) [KA], Palakkad [KL], Port Blair [AN], Shimoga [KA], Thrissur [KL], Vatakara [KL]
- IIT Bombay: Ahmedabad [GJ], Ahmednagar [MH], Akola [MH], Amravati [MH], Aurangabad [MH], Goa [GA], Jalgaon [MH], Kolhapur [MH], Mumbai-Navi Mumbai-Thane [MH], Nagpur [MH], Nanded [MH], Nashik [MH], Pune [MH], Rajkot [GJ], Sangli [MH], Satara [MH], Solapur [MH], Surat [GJ], Vadodara [GJ]
- IIT Delhi: Faridabad [HR], Greater NOIDA [OR], Gurugram [HR], Hisar [HR], Indore [MP], Jaipur [RJ], Jammu [JK], Jodhpur [RJ], Mathura [UP], New Delhi [DL], Srinagar [JK]
- IIT Guwahati: Agartala [TR], Asansol-Durgapur [WB], Dhanbad [JH], Dibrugarh [AS], Dimapur-Kohima [NL], Guwahati [AS], Imphal [MN], Jorhat [AS], Kalyani [WB], Patna [BR], Shillong [ML], Siliguri [WB]
- IIT Kanpur: Agra [UP], Aligarh [UP], Bareilly [UP], Bhopal [MP], Gorakhpur [UP], Jabalpur [MP], Kanpur [UP], Lucknow [UP], Prayagraj (Allahabad) [GJ], Varanasi [UP]
- IIT Kharagpur: Bhubaneswar [OR], Bilaspur [CH], Brahmapur (Odisha) [OR], Kolaghat [WB], Kolkata [WB], Kharagpur-Midnapore [WB], Raipur [CH], Ranchi [JH], Vijayawada [AP], Visakhapatnam [AP]
- IIT Madras: Alappuzha [KL], Chennai [TN], Coimbatore [TN], Ernakulam [KL], Guntur [AP], Karimnagar [TS], Khammam [TS], Kollam [KL], Kottayam [KL], Madurai [TN], Ongole [AP], Puducherry [PY], Salem [TN], Thiruvananthapuram [KL], Tiruchirapalli [TN], Tirunelveli [TN], Tirupati [AP], Warangal [TS],
- IIT Roorkee: Ambala [HR], Dehradun [UK], Ghaziabad [UP], Haldwani [UK], Jalandhar [PB], Kangra [HP], Kurukshetra [HR], Meerut [UP], Mohali-Chandigarh [PB], Moradabad [UP], NOIDA [UP], Patiala [PB], Roorkee [UK], Shimla-Solan [HP],
Choice of Exam Cities –
- JAM 2024 Exam will be conducted in eight zones. The names of these eight zones with the list of zone-wise Exam Cities given above. Candidates must specify their first, second and third choice of cities at the time of applying for JAM 2024. When the choice of first city is made, then the zone gets determined and the candidates will be able to choose the second and third choice city only from the same zone.
- Note: JAM 2024 Committee may add or drop an examination city or town due to operational constraints – a notification will be made on the JAM 2024 website.
IIT JAM 2024 Admit Card
- Under the respective logins of the registered JAM aspirants, admit card is issued. The admit card can be accessed in the online mode only using JAM email id / enrolment number and password
For more details and to apply online, please visit the official website