National Institute of Design (NID) Admissions to the Second Batch of PhD in Design 2019
NID Ahmedabad PhD in Design Admission 2019 – Applications are invited by National Institute of Design (NID) from the interested candidates for admission into PhD programme in Design for the year 2019 (Second Batch).
About PhD in Design at NID
- A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in Design shall be awarded for a period of advanced study that culminates with the design of an innovative solution/ approach/ method/ interface for a product/communication/ service/ experience along with an accompanying thesis that extends the body of knowledge and the application of design thinking, process and practice.
- The programme shall be open to educators and professionals in design and allied fields who wish to reinvent their own practice or knowledge base while pushing the boundaries of the discipline through innovation in practice and create new design theories. The PhD programme at NID is benchmarked to a level comparable to doctoral research in design at reputed institutions in the field, both abroad and in India.
See: PHD Admission 2019
- Program – Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Design
- Duration – Full Time – 3 years and Part Time – 5 years
- This year the priority areas for receiving the design research proposal include but are not limited to Design Education, Design Innovation, Social Innovation, Design for Craft & Culture, Design Practice.
Aims and Goals
- The PhD Program in Design aims to promote deep reflection, inquiry, and rigor in the development and dissemination of new ideas, expressions and skills in the field of design and allied fields and shall lead to their meaningful manifestations in the form of new design collections, objects, communication, services, strategies, etc.
Details of the PhD Program
- The PhD Programme will be offered in part-time format only this year
- Full-time PhD Program. The full-time PhD Program shall ordinarily be of three years’ duration. More details on this are given below
- Part-time PhD Program: The part-time PhD degree programme shall ordinarily be of five years’ duration
See: Admission Notification and Dates
- Accepting Application Form Online Starts: 31st August 2019
- Last Date for submitting Online Application (along with scan of DD for application fee and Research Proposal) 1800 hours on 30th September 2019
- Last Date for receiving Printed Application Forms accompanied with a DD (be sent via speed-post, registered post or courier) and the Research Proposal 1800 hours on 07th October 2019
- Downloading Admit Cards for Design Research Test (DRT) from Website 1600 hours on 11th November 2019 onwards
- Design Research Test (DRT) at NID from 1000 hours to 1800 hours on 18th November 2019
- Interviews and presentations by selected candidates 1000 hours to 1700 hours on:
- 25th November 2019
- 26th November 2019
- 27th November 2019
- Results Declared on Website 1800 hours on Friday, 29th November 2019
- Seat allotment, document verification & payment of first semester fees 1000 hours to 1300 hours on 02nd December 2019
- PhD Programme commences 1000 hours on 03rd December to 27th December 2019
- The following shall be the minimum eligibility for selection to the PhD programme:
- Master’s degree in Design from an accredited institution or recognised University or Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Design from the National Institute of Design, Advanced Entry Programme or five-five and a half year School Leavers’ Professional Education Programme Diploma in Design from the National Institute of Design OR
- Master’s degree in Architecture or Fine Arts or Applied Arts from a recognised institution or University with 55 percent marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7 point scale or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed or an equivalent foreign degree from a foreign educational institution accredited by an assessment and accreditation agency which is approved, recognised or authorised by an authority established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions and having a graduate or post graduate degree, in Design OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Design from National Institute of Design or National Institute of Design’s Graduate Diploma Programme in Design with three years’ of professional or teaching experience or both OR
- Four and a half year School Leavers’ Professional Education Programme Diploma in Design with three years of professional or teaching experience or both OR
- Master’ s degree in Philosophy (in Design) with 55 per cent. marks in aggregate or its equivalent grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7 point scale or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed or an equivalent foreign degree from a foreign educational institution accredited by an assessment and accreditation agency which is approved, recognised or authorised by an authority established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions.
Reservation of Seats
- The maximum number of seats for the PhD programme is 10. The Institute shall follow the reservation policy of the Government of India, as may be applicable from time to time, for allocation of seats for the PhD programme.
See: Latest Entrance Exam Notification
- Selection will be done in following stages:
- Short listing of Applications
- Design Research Test: It will be conducted at NID Ahmedabad or Gandhinagar Campus. Appearing for the DRT or being included in the shortlist does not guarantee admission into the programme.
- Interview. Candidates shortlisted after the DRT will be invited to appear for an interview and make presentations to a committee at NID.
DRT Exam Pattern
- Paper1: Paper-1 of the Design research Test shall entail fieldwork and have questions testing design aptitude and research abilities.
- Paper2: Paper-2 shall be testing the applicant’s general awareness, basic numeric and design abilities.
- All candidates are required to download handbook and the application form available at www.phdadmissions.nid.edu. Fill up the form and pay the requisite fee.
- Please fill up the online form giving correct information. Provide a valid email address and an active mobile number while filling up the form, since these contacts will be used for all future communication with the applicant. Candidates will be solely responsible in case a wrong email address and/or mobile number has been provided.
- On receipt of fully completed application form, NID will send an email to your registered email address (do remember to check your spam or junk folders in case you do not find the email in your inbox).
- Do not delete the email sent to you as this will be needed for future reference
Payment of Application Fee
- The application fee for admission to the PhD programme is INR 5000/-. Candidates applying under SC/ST and PH categories will be given a 50% reduction in the application fees as per existing norms. Such candidates shall pay a fee of INR 2500/.
- Application fee is NEITHER refundable NOR transferable.
- Fees should be paid via a demand draft in favour of ‘National Institute of Design’ payable at Ahmedabad.
- To complete the application process, candidates must send the demand draft and a printout of the application form along with self-attested physical copies of all supporting documents mentioned below along with one recent passport size photographs in a single envelope to the following address, so as to reach before 1800 hrs on 07th October 2019