National Institute of Design (NID) announces Admission to PhD in Design for academic session 2019
NID Ahmedabad PhD in Design Admission 2019 – Applications are invited by National Institute of Design(NID) from the interested candidates for admission into PhD programme in Design for the year 2019
About PhD in Design at NID
- A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in Design shall be awarded for a period of advanced study that culminates with the design of an innovative solution/ approach/ method/ interface for a product/communication/ service/ experience along with an accompanying thesis that extends the body of knowledge and the application of design thinking, process and practice.
- The programme shall be open to educators and professionals in design and allied fields who wish to reinvent their own practice or knowledge base while pushing the boundaries of the discipline through innovation in practice and create new design theories. The PhD programme at NID is benchmarked to a level comparable to doctoral research in design at reputed institutions in the field, both abroad and in India.
See: PhD Admissions
Details of the PhD Programme;
- The PhD programme will be offered in part-time format only this year.
- Part-time PhD Programme: The part-time PhD degree programme shall ordinarily be of five years’ duration. A PhD degree may be conferred on a part-time student, subject to the conditions that he/she has carried out the research work at the Institute under the supervision of a research guide for at least five years from the date of registration. The part time PhD programme will be open to candidates working in academia, industry or research organizations who are unable to pursue the full-time doctoral programme in residence for personal or professional reasons. Candidates enrolled in the part-time PhD programme will not be entitled to any fellowship or teaching assistantship.
- The following candidates shall be considered as part time research candidates:
- Institute faculty or staff candidates who are permanent employees of the institute who fulfill the prescribed eligibility criteria as declared by the institute from time to time. They shall undertake their research only after fulfilling their professional duties.
- Candidates sponsored for a part-time PhD programme by and industry or institution.
Note: Working professionals seeking admission to the part-time PhD programme shall be required to obtain a No-Objection Certificate (NOC) from their employer.
NID PhD in Design Admission 2019 Important Dates
- Last date for submitting the application (with DD for application fee): 18th April 2019
- Downloading admit card for design research test (DRT): 08th Wednesday 2019
- DRT test date: 20th May 2019
- Announcement of results: 07th June 2019
- Seat allotment, document verification & payment of first semester fees: 21st June 2019
- PhD programme commences on : 15th July 2019
See: Latest Entrance Exams
Eligibility Criteria for NID PhD in Design Admission 2019
The following shall be the minimum eligibility for selection to the PhD programme:
- Master’s degree in design from an accredited institution or recognized university or Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Design from the National Institute of Design, Advanced Entry Programme or five-year School Leavers’ Professional Education Programme Diploma in Design from the National Institute of Design. Applicants with a master’s degree in areas relevant to design such as Architecture, Fine Arts, Applied Arts, etc. may also apply .Such applicants shall have at least one recognized degree, either under graduate or post graduate in Design.
- Bachelor’s degree in design (B. Des.) from National Institute of Design OR National Institute of Design Graduate Diploma Programme in Design or four-year School Leavers’ Professional Education Programme Diploma in Design, with at least three years of professional or teaching experience or both.
- Individuals who have successfully completed a Faculty Development Programme in Design (two years or more duration) from National Institute of Design or any other University recognized by the UGC Institutes of National Importance shall be eligible to apply and if requested, they shall be treated at par with the Master’s level students.
- Foreign nationals or Indian nationals with degree from a foreign university shall also be eligible to apply for admission to the PhD programme at the Institute, subject to equivalence of their educational qualifications with the qualifications mentioned.
- Applicants currently employed in the public sector and seeking admission shall be required to submit a letter from their employer in support of the application and upon admission the student shall be expected to fulfill the programme requirements by being present in person at the Institute.
- Candidates who are scheduled to complete the final year of their qualifying examinations and are awaiting results are also eligible to apply for the PhD programme. In such cases, their candidature shall be provisional and confirmation of selection shall be subject to successful completion of the qualifying exams.
Reservation of seats:
- The maximum number of seats for the PhD programme is 10. The Institute shall follow the reservation policy of the Government of India, as may be applicable from time to time, for allocation of seats for the PhD programme.
Selection will be done in following stages:
- Short listing of Applications
- Design Research Test: It will be conducted at NID Ahmedabad or Gandhinagar Campus. Appearing for the DRT or being included in the shortlist does not guarantee admission into the programme.
- Interview. Candidates shortlisted after the DRT will be invited to appear for an interview and make presentations to a committee at NID.
DRT Exam Pattern:
- Paper1: Paper-1 of the Design research Test shall entail fieldwork and have questions testing design aptitude and research abilities.
- Paper2: Paper-2 shall be testing the applicant’s general awareness, basic numeric and design abilities.
See: Fashion Designing Entrance Exams
NID PhD in Design Admission 2019 Application Process
- All candidates are required to download handbook and the application form available at www.phdadmissions.nid.edu. Fill up the form and pay the requisite fee.
- The application fee for admission to the PhD programme is INR 5000/-
- Candidates applying under SC/ST and PH categories will be given a 50% reduction in the application fees as per existing norms. Such candidates shall pay a fee of INR 2500/-.
- Fees should be paid via DD in favor of ‘National Institute of Design’ payable at Ahmedabad.
Documents to be sent to NID
Along with your completed application form, you will have to send by speed post the following documents. The last date to receive applications is 18th April 2019.
- Research proposal of 2000-3000 words as a hard copy.
- Recommendation letter from there referees.
- No objection certificate from the employer.
- Candidates applying under the SC and ST categories are required to upload their valid caste certificate issued by a competent authority as per the guidelines of the Government of India.
For more queries please visit the official website http://www.nid.edu/