About PhD in Design at NID
- A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in Design shall be awarded for a period of advanced study that culminates with the design of an innovative solution/ approach/ method/ interface for a product/communication/ service/ experience along with an accompanying thesis that extends the body of knowledge and the application of design thinking, process and practice.
- The program shall be open to educators and professionals in design and allied fields who wish to reinvent their own practice or knowledge base while pushing the boundaries of the discipline through innovation in practice and create new design theories
Full Time – 3 years and Part Time – 5 years
NID Ahmedabad PhD in Design Admission 2020 Important Dates
Accepting application form online starts from 1400 hrs on
12th October 2020
Deadline for submitting online application form is 1600 hrs on
02nd November 2020
Detailed schedule for conducting DRT will be announced
03rd Week of Nov 2020
Candidates shortlisted for DRT will become eligible for an Admit Card
04th Week of Nov 2020
Eligibility Criteria for NID Ahmedabad PhD in Design Admission 2020
- The qualifications mentioned are required to be from accredited/recognised institutes or universities of India1 (For institutes other than NID, the expected performance in the qualifying degree program is 55% marks in aggregate, or grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale), or an equivalent grade in other scales OR equivalent qualifications from foreign educational institutes (accredited by an assessment and accreditation agency which is approved, recognised or authorised by an authority established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting, or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions.)
- To be eligible for selection to the PhD programme, the candidate must be a citizen of India and hold at least one of the following qualifications:
- A Master’s level qualification in Design, (This to include the following: i) a Master of Design degree, ii) NID’s PGDPD diploma, iii) NID’s AEP diploma, iv) NID’s 5-5½ year SLPEP diploma, v) A Masters degree in Architecture, Fine Arts, or Applied Arts and having a graduate or postgraduate degree in Design) OR
- A Bachelor’s level qualification in Design4 from NID,
- PLUS (This is to include the following: i) a Bachelor of Design degree from NID, ii) NID’s GDPD diploma, iii) NID’s 4 year SLPEP diploma)
- A minimum of 3 years of professional or teaching experience OR
- Master’ s degree in Philosophy (eg, M.Phil) in Design OR
- Successful completion of Faculty Development Programme of NID or of a similar program for the Design field of at least two years from any other recognised University
- In such cases, their candidature shall be provisional and confirmation of selection shall be subject to successful completion of the qualifying exams.
Reservation of Seats
- The maximum number of seats for the PhD programme is 13
- The Institute shall follow the reservation policy of the Government of India, as may be applicable from time to time, for allocation of seats for the PhD programme.
NID Ahmedabad PhD in Design Admission 2020 Application Process
- All candidates are required to download handbook and the application form available at http://admissions.nid.edu
- Please fill up the online form giving correct information. Provide a valid email address and an active mobile number while filling up the form, since these contacts will be used for all future communication with the applicant
- Candidates will be solely responsible in case a wrong email address and/or mobile number has been provided.
- After registration, login credentials will be sent via email to your registered email address (do remember to check your spam or junk folders in case you do not find the email in your inbox).
- Do not delete the email sent to you as this will be needed for future reference
- Application fee is NEITHER refundable NOR transferable
- The Application fee paid online (by Debit/Credit Card) does not include any bank/transaction charges, and the same. as applicable, will be borne by the applicant.
- You will be directed to the payment gateway. After completing the payment process, you will be redirected to the Print section where you can submit your form as a PDF file and print it. You are not required to send the print-out of your application form.
Selection will be done in following stages:
Short listing of Applications
Design Research Test
Design Research Test (DRT) will be conducted at Ahmedabad. Appearing for the DRT or being included in the shortlist does not guarantee admission into the program
Candidates shortlisted after the DRT will be invited to appear for an interview and make presentations to a committee at NID
DRT Exam Pattern
Paper-1 of the Design research Test shall entail Situation test/fieldwork and have questions testing design aptitude and research abilities.
Paper-2 shall be testing the applicant’s general awareness, basic numeric and design abilities