National Institute of Design (NID) announces Admission to PhD Program in Design 2020
NID Ahmedabad PhD in Design Admission 2020 – Applications are invited by National Institute of Design (NID) from the interested candidates for admission into the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Design Program for the year 2020.
About PhD in Design at NID
- A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in Design shall be awarded for a period of advanced study that culminates with the design of an innovative solution/ approach/ method/ interface for a product/communication/ service/ experience along with an accompanying thesis that extends the body of knowledge and the application of design thinking, process and practice.
- The programme shall be open to educators and professionals in design and allied fields who wish to reinvent their own practice or knowledge base while pushing the boundaries of the discipline through innovation in practice and create new design theories. The PhD programme at NID is benchmarked to a level comparable to doctoral research in design at reputed institutions in the field, both abroad and in India.
See: PHD Admission
- Program – Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Design
- Duration – Full Time – 3 years and Part Time – 5 years
- This year the priority areas for receiving the design research proposal include but are not limited to Design Education, Design Innovation, Social Innovation, Design for Craft & Culture, Design Practice.
Aims and Goals
- The PhD Program in Design aims to promote deep reflection, inquiry, and rigor in the development and dissemination of new ideas, expressions and skills in the field of design and allied fields and shall lead to their meaningful manifestations in the form of new design collections, objects, communication, services, strategies, etc.
Details of the PhD Program
- The PhD Programme will be offered in part-time format only this year
- Full-time PhD Program. The full-time PhD Program shall ordinarily be of three years’ duration. More details on this are given below
- Part-time PhD Program: The part-time PhD degree programme shall ordinarily be of five years’ duration
See: Admission Notification and Dates
NID Ahmedabad PhD in Design Admission 2020 Important Dates
- Accepting Application Form Online Starts: 1st October 2019
- Last Date for submitting Online Application form is 1600 hours on Thursday: 07th November 2020
- Detailed schedule for conducting DRT & Interview will be announced in the first week of December 2019
- Candidates shortlisted for DRT/Interview will be intimated through Admit Card by the Second week of December 2019
- Admit Cards will be available for Download on the NID website
Eligibility Criteria for NID Ahmedabad PhD in Design Admission 2020
- The qualifications mentioned are required to be from accredited/recognised institutes or universities of India1 (For institutes other than NID, the expected performance in the qualifying degree program is 55% marks in aggregate, or grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale), or an equivalent grade in other scales OR equivalent qualifications from foreign educational institutes (accredited by an assessment and accreditation agency which is approved, recognised or authorised by an authority established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting, or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions.)
- To be eligible for selection to the PhD programme, the candidate must be a citizen of India and hold at least one of the following qualifications:
- A Master’s level qualification in Design, (This to include the following: i) a Master of Design degree, ii) NID’s PGDPD diploma, iii) NID’s AEP diploma, iv) NID’s 5-5½ year SLPEP diploma, v) A Masters degree in Architecture, Fine Arts, or Applied Arts and having a graduate or postgraduate degree in Design) OR
- A Bachelor’s level qualification in Design4 from NID,
- PLUS (This is to include the following: : i) a Bachelor of Design degree from NID, ii) NID’s GDPD diploma, iii) NID’s 4 year SLPEP diploma)
- A minimum of 3 years of professional or teaching experience OR
- Master’ s degree in Philosophy (eg, M.Phil) in Design OR
- Successful completion of Faculty Development Programme of NID or of a similar program for the Design field of at least two years from any other recognised University.
- Candidates who are scheduled to complete the final year of their qualifying examinations and are awaiting results are also eligible to apply for the PhD programme.
- In such cases, their candidature shall be provisional and confirmation of selection shall be subject to successful completion of the qualifying exams.
Reservation of Seats
- The maximum number of seats for the PhD programme is 13. The Institute shall follow the reservation policy of the Government of India, as may be applicable from time to time, for allocation of seats for the PhD programme.
See: Latest Entrance Exam Notification
Selection will be done in following stages:
- Short listing of Applications
- Design Research Test: Design Research Test (DRT) will be conducted at Ahmedabad. Appearing for the DRT or being included in the shortlist does not guarantee admission into the programme.
- Interview: Candidates shortlisted after the DRT will be invited to appear for an interview and make presentations to a committee at NID.
DRT Exam Pattern
- Paper1: Paper-1 of the Design research Test shall entail Situation test/fieldwork and have questions testing design aptitude and research abilities.
- Paper2: Paper-2 shall be testing the applicant’s general awareness, basic numeric and design abilities.
NID Ahmedabad PhD in Design Admission 2020 Application Process
- All candidates are required to download handbook and the application form available at http://admissions.nid.edu
- Please fill up the online form giving correct information. Provide a valid email address and an active mobile number while filling up the form, since these contacts will be used for all future communication with the applicant. Candidates will be solely responsible in case a wrong email address and/or mobile number has been provided.
- After registration, login credentials will be sent via email to your registered email address (do remember to check your spam or junk folders in case you do not find the email in your inbox).
- Do not delete the email sent to you as this will be needed for future reference
Payment of Application Fee
- General/EWS/OBC-NCL: Rs 5000/-
- SC/ST/PwD/General-EWS-PwD/OBC-NCL-PwD/SC-PwD/ST-PwD: Rs. 2500/-
- Application fee is NEITHER refundable NOR transferable.
- The Application fee paid online (by Debit/Credit Card) does not include any bank/transaction charges, and the same. as applicable, will be borne by the applicant.
- You will be directed to the payment gateway. After completing the payment process, you will be redirected to the Print section where you can your form as a PDF file and print it. Your are not required to send the print-out of your application form.
See: Fashion Designing Entrance Exams
National Institute of Design, Paldi, Ahmedabad-380007, Email:firstname.lastname@example.org, Website http://admissions.nid.edu