Calcutta University PhD in Economics Admission 2020, Dates, Application
University of Calcutta (CU), Kolkata announces admission to PhD Program in Economics 2020 through Entrance Exam
Calcutta University PhD in Economics Admission 2020 - University of Calcutta (CU), Kolkata invites applications for admission to Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Program in Economics for the academic session 2020.
No. of Seat: 20 Seats
Calcutta University PhD in Economics Admission 2020 Important Dates
- Forms can be downloaded from the university website from: 29th November 2019
- Application for PhD program including that for the Research Entrance Test (RET) with Statement of Purpose (SOP) to be submitted by: 20ty December 2019
- Date of RET Examination: 02nd January 2020 (Thursday) at 1.00-3.00 p.m. in the Department of Economics, University of Calcutta
- Date of Publication of RET Result: 07th January 2020
- Date of Interview: 13th and 15th January 2020 from 11 a.m. in the Department of Economics, University of Calcutta
Eligibility Criteria for Calcutta University PhD in Economics Admission 2020
- The candidate has to have either NET/SET/M. Phil (from any recognized university with 2-semester/ 1-year course work) or has to qualify in the research entrance test (RET) conducted by the Department of Economics, University of Calcutta.
- Those who have done the pre-submission seminar and completed the Viva-voce process by December 31, 2019 in M. Phil in Economics (or related discipline like Development Studies, Foreign Policy Management, etc. with Masters degree in Economics) from any UGC recognized university and are awaiting results would also be exempted from RET and be eligible to appear directly in the interview.
- They are required to submit their enrolment certificate and a letter from the Head of their respective Departments or higher authority of the University saying that they have fulfilled the above-mentioned criterion. If selected, the M. Phil. Candidates are required to submit their result by February 28, 2020, failing which their admission would stand cancelled.
Also See: Top PhD Entrance Exams in India
- The Ph.D. entrance test of 100 marks for the suitable candidates will be held once in a year and the qualifying marks will be fixed at 50%;
Structure of the Examination:
- The examination time will be two hours.
- There will be a written examination. There is no multiple choice questions (MCQ).
- Questions will be on Economic Theory, Quantitative Economics and Contemporary Global and Indian Economic Problems.
- 60 percent of the marks is allotted for Microeconomic Theory, Macroeconomic
- Theory, Statistics and Econometrics and Mathematical Economics and 40 percent for essay type questions on Contemporary Global and Indian Economy problems.
- The eligible candidates identified through RET/ NET/ SET/ M. Phil and other equivalent examination recognized by UGC have to submit a statement of purpose (SoP) indicating the area of research interest (not exceeding 1000 words) on which a final interview will be conducted.
- The SoP has to be submitted at the time of application itself.
- Candidates with at least 55% marks in Economics at the Master’s level from any other UGC recognized university are eligible to take the examination. Candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/differently-abled and other categories as per the UGC norm need to have at 50% to sit in the examination. Those who have qualified in UGC/CSR (JRF)/NET/SET/SLET or already obtained M. Phil degree would be exempted from the examination.
- The final selection of the candidates will be based on interview performance.
Calcutta University PhD in Economics Admission 2020 Application Process
- Interested candidates should apply in the prescribed application format made available on the University Website www.caluniv.ac.in
- Candidates are requested to deposit application fee of Rs.100/- either by cash or DD through duly filled in C.U. Challan, endorsed by the Head of the Department.
- The duly filled in application form, along with all requisite enclosure documents, should be submitted to the department, latest by 20th December 2019
- Application Form can be downloaded from the following link: https://www.caluniv.ac.in/admission/CU_RET_Form.pdf
For any further details, candidates are requested to visit the University Website www.caluniv.ac.in
Ph.D. in Computer Science
Universities offering PhD in Computer science, Fee, Job Opportunities and Salary.
PhD Admission Process in India
Tips for Getting Good Scores in Gate Exams. Visit us for tips on getting good scores in GATE an all India level entrance examination for aspirants who want to pursue Masters/Direct PhD.
Top PhD Entrance Exams in India
Here is al ist of Top PhD Entrance Exams in India. Visit the page to know about Entrance Exam Notifications of Top PhD Courses in India.
Why do a Phd? - Reasons, Funding Schemes, Job Prospects
Why do a PhD? - Purpose, Opportunities, Funding Schemes. Check here the list of Important Schemes and Funding Opportunities available to do PhD in India