Calcutta University PhD in Economics Admission 2021 Application Form, Eligibility, Dates
University of Calcutta (CU), Kolkata announces admission to PhD Programme in Economics 2021 through Entrance Exam (RET)
Calcutta University PhD in Economics Admission 2021 – University of Calcutta (CU), Kolkata invites applications for admission to Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Programme in Economics for the academic session 2021 through Entrance Exam (RET)
Read further for more details on Calcutta University PhD in Economics Admission 2021
Calcutta University PhD in Economics Admission 2021 Important Dates
Forms to be downloaded from the university website from
16th March 2021
Date of RET Examination (offline or online mode)
05th April 2021
Date of Publication of RET Result
12th April 2021
Date of Interview
16th and 19th April 2021
Eligibility Criteria for Calcutta University PhD in Economics Admission 2021
- Candidates with at least 55% marks in Economics at the Master’s level from any other UGC recognized university are eligible to apply for the program by appearing in the Research Entrance Test (RET).
- Candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/differently-abled and other categories as per the UGC norm need to have at 50% to apply for the program and to sit in the RET.
- The candidates who will qualify in the RET will have to appear in an interview for final selection.
- Those who have qualified in UGC/CSR (JRF)/NET/SET/SLET or already obtained M.Phil degree would be exempted from appearing in the RET and will be eligible directly for appearing directly in the interview.
- Those who have done the pre-submission seminar and completed the Viva-voce process by 31st January 2021 in M. Phil in Economics (or related discipline like Development Studies, Foreign Policy Management, etc. with Masters degree in Economics) from any UGC recognized university and are awaiting results would also be exempted from RET and be eligible to appear directly in the interview.
Calcutta University PhD in Economics Admission 2021 Application Process
- The application form can be downloaded from the website https://www.caluniv.ac.in/
- All candidates (including those who will appear directly in the interview) will have to fill-up the form. Students will have to submit a SOP (statement of purpose) not exceeding 1000 words, one passport-sized photograph, self-attested photocopies of the relevant testimonials like final mark sheets and certificates, birth certificate, evidence (if any) of qualifying UGC/ CSR (JRF)/ NET/ SET/SLET/Equivalent Examination, certificate if any belonging to SC/ ST/ OBC-A/ OBC-B/PC, a relevant certificate from HOD or University Authorities for candidates who are yet to complete M.Phil (as mentioned in the advertisement) etc. along with the application form
- Application for PhD program including that for the Research Entrance Test (RET) with SOP (not exceeding 1000 words) to be submitted by 30th March 2021 (Tuesday) in the Office of the Department of Economics, University of Calcutta.
- Candidates are requested to deposit an application fee of Rs.100/- either by cash or DD through duly filled in C.U. Challan, endorsed by the Head of the Department.
- After payment of the application fee candidates will have to submit the application form at the office of the Department of Economics, CU. Candidates may be asked to show original documents of all the abovementioned photocopies at the time of submission of forms at the Department of Economics, CU, and also as and when required by the appropriate authority.
- Selection will be based on written examination & Interview.
Scheme of Examinations
- Mode of the examination will be in offline or online mode as per the decision of the University Authority.
- In the written examination there will be no multiple-choice questions (MCQ). Questions will be on Economic Theory, Quantitative Economics, and Contemporary Global and Indian Economic Problems.
- 60 percent of the marks is allotted for Microeconomic Theory, Macroeconomic Theory, Statistics and Econometrics, and Mathematical Economics and 40 percent for essay type questions on Contemporary Global and Indian Economy problems.
- The qualifying marks in the entrance test will be 50% for all categories of students.
- The final selection of the candidates will be based on interview performance.
For more details and to apply, please visit the official website