TIFR GS 2020 for PhD and Integrated MSc-PhD Programs Admission
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research announces TIFR GS 2020 for PhD and Integrated MSc-PhD Admission
TIFR GS 2020 - Tata Institute of Fundamental Research invites applications for admissions to TIFR Deemed University, stationed at TCIS Hyderabad for PhD and Integrated M.Sc.-PhD Degree Programs under the Subject Board of Physics (academic January 2020).
The TIFR national level entrance exam for biology, TIFR GS 2020, is also known as Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biology and Interdisciplinary Life Sciences (JGEEBILS 2020).
Also See : Admission Notifications
About of TIFR GS 2020
- Research Opportunities for exceptionally talented and strongly motivated students
- The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research is India's premier institution for advanced research in fundamental sciences. The Institute runs a graduate programme leading to the award of Ph.D., Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. as well as M.Sc. degree in certain subjects. With its distinguished faculty, world class facilities and stimulating research environment, it is an ideal place for aspiring scientists to initiate their career.
- The Graduate Programme at TIFR is classified into the following Subjects - Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer & Systems Sciences (including Communications and Applied Probability) and Science Education. It is conducted at the Mumbai campus and various National Centres of TIFR.
See: PHD Admission
TIFR GS 2020 Important Dates
- Last date for application: 20th November 2019
- Date of Entrance Exam: 8th December 2019 (Sunday)
- GATE Scored based applications to Systems Science (including Communications and Applied Probability):
- Opens: 5th February 2020
- Closes: Two weeks after GATE 2020 results declared
- Results of the Nationwide Entrance Examination (shortlist for interviews): By end-January 2020.
Mathematics (Ph.D. and Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programmes)
- (i) School of Mathematics, TIFR Mumbai - http://www.math.tifr.res.in; (ii) Centre for Applicable Mathematics (CAM), Bengaluru - http://math.tifrbng.res.in; (iii) International Centre for Theoretical Sciences (ICTS), Bengaluru - http://www.icts.res.in (Only Ph.D. program).
Physics (Ph.D. and Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programmes)
- Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics; Department of Condensed Matter Physics & Materials Science; Department of High Energy Physics; Department of Nuclear & Atomic Physics; Department of Theoretical Physics
- All above at TIFR, Mumbai Campus – (http://www.tifr.res.in/~sbp); National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA), Pune - http://www.ncra.tifr.res.in; TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad (TIFR-H) - (http://www.tifrh.res.in) : Theoretical and experimental activities in physical, chemical, biological and engineering sciences within and across disciplines; International Centre for Theoretical Sciences (http://www.icts.res.in).
- Students applying for Physics also have the option to be considered for the Graduate Training Programme (GTP) of the India-based Neutrino Observatory (INO). This option can be indicated at the time of registration of application. For more details on INO please see http://www.ino.tifr.res.in
Chemistry (Ph.D. and Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programs)
- Department of Chemical Sciences, TIFR, Mumbai - http://www.tifr.res.in/~dcs; TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad (TIFR-H) - http://www.tifrh.res.in
Biology (Ph.D., Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. and M.Sc. Programmes)
- Department of Biological Sciences, TIFR, Mumbai - http://www.tifr.res.in/~dbs; National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bengaluru (http://www.ncbs.res.in) - Ph.D., Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D., and M.Sc. (Wildlife Biology & Conservation) programmes.
- TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences (TCIS), Hyderabad (http://www.tifrh.res.in) - Ph.D. and Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. programs only.
- FAQ for Ph.D. and Integrated Ph.D. Programs in Biology
- Computer & Systems Sciences (including Communications and Applied Probability) Ph.D. Programme only.
- School of Technology & Computer Science (STCS), TIFR, Mumbai - http://www.tcs.tifr.res.in
Science Education (Ph.D. Programme)
- Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education (HBCSE), Mumbai. For admission procedure, see http://www.hbcse.tifr.res.in
Typical Course Duration:
- Ph.D. Programme: 5 Years
- Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programme: 6 Years
- M.Sc.Programme: See details in respective programme.
Eligibility Criteria for TIFR GS 2020
- Candidates in the final year of qualifying degree can also apply.
- For Ph.D.: M.A./M.Sc./M.Tech.
- For I-Ph.D.: B.A./B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech. (Students already having/completing an M.Sc. degree by July 2020 are not eligible for I-Ph.D.).
- For Ph.D.: M.Sc./M.S. in Physics, or equivalent degree, on completion of programmes(s) of a duration not less than 5 years in total.
- For I-Ph.D.: M.E./M.Tech./B.Sc./B.S./B.E./ B.Tech./B.Chem. in Physics, Engineering Physics, or equivalent degree, on completion of programme(s) of a duration not less than 3 years in total. Any other degree in Science / Engineering / Medicine, or equivalent, on completion of programme(s) of a duration not less than 3 years in total.
- I-Ph.D. candidates with not less than four or more years of university education who clear the written test may be considered by TIFR-H for their Ph.D. program.
- For Ph.D.: M.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.Pharm. or equivalent degree.
- For I-Ph.D.: B.Sc./B.Pharm./B.S. degree or equivalent degree.
- Candidates with B.E./B.Tech degrees can optionally get an M.Sc. degree by fulfilling necessary requirements.
- Candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on written test marks, CV, letters of recommendation and Scientific write-up.
- For Ph.D.: Masters in Basic Science (M.Sc. Physics/ Chemistry/ Mathematics/ any branch of Biology) or any professional Master's Degree (M.Pharma./M.Tech.), or a > 4 year degree program (e.g. MBBS, BDS). Students holding an M.Sc. degree in a non-Biology-allied discipline such as Chemistry / Physics / Mathematics / Computer Science, and who wish to obtain an M.Sc. in Biology, will be offered the option of enrolling in the I-Ph.D. programme at the time of joining.
- For I-Ph.D./M.Sc.: Bachelors in any Basic Science (Physics/ Chemistry/Mathematics/any branch of Biology) OR any 4-year degree programme that awards a "Bachelor's degree" including B.Tech., B.E., B.V.Sc., B.Pharma. (4 year course).
- For M.Sc. (Wildlife Biology & Conservation): Indian nationals who have a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline (with a minimum of 50% in core subjects) and a strong interest in wildlife research and conservation. Graduate nationals for Central, South and Southeast Asian countries, with similar qualifications are also eligible to apply.
Computer & Systems Sciences (including Communications and Applied Probability):
- For Ph.D.: B.Tech./B.E./M.Tech./M.E./M.C.A./M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Computer Science / Electronics & Communications Engineering / Electrical Engineering or related branches. Exceptionally well qualified students with B.Tech./ B.E./M.Tech./M.E./M.Sc. degrees in other disciplines may also be considered. Exceptionally well qualified students with a three year degree in related subjects may be considered for I-Ph.D.
- Candidates not holding a Master's degree and admitted to a Ph.D./Int. Ph.D. program can receive an M.Sc. degree in some subjects by fulfilling prescribed requirements (see http://www.tifr.res.in/~gsoffice for details).
- For Ph.D. and I-Ph.D. programmes, the academic year starts from August 1, every year. The academic year for M.Sc. programme begins from July 1, every year.
- Ph.D. Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 31,000/- enhanced to Rs 35,000/- after registration.
- I-Ph.D. Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 21,000/- for the first year. At the end of the first year, upon satisfactory performance, the fellowship is enhanced to Rs 31,000/- per month (further raised to Rs 35,000/- after registration for Ph.D.).
- M.Sc. (Biology) Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 16,000/- (+HRA as applicable).
- M.Sc. (Wildlife Biology & Conservation) Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 12,000/- (fixed).
- Accommodation is provided to Ph.D. and I-Ph.D. students only, at a nominal cost.
- 09:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. [Physics; Chemistry; Computer & Systems Sciences; M.Sc. (Wildlife Biology & Conservation)]
- Biology: 02:30 p.m. to 04:30 p.m.
- Mathematics: 02:30 p.m. to 05:30 p.m.
- There will be examination centres in the following cities but the exact location / venue of the examination will be available on the downloaded hall ticket :
- Agartala, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhillai, Bhubaneshwar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Cochin, Delhi, Guwahati, Haldwani, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Jammu, Kanpur, Kolkata, Madurai, Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Patna, Pune, Varanasi, Visakhapatnam
TIFR GS 2020 Application Process
- Students can apply online. Please follow the appropriate link on this website for filling up the application form. Read the instructions carefully before you start filling up the online application form. Do not make multiple registrations for the same subject.
- Students may take the online test in multiple subjects provided the timings do not clash. Please submit separate application for each subject.
- Apply Online:
- Before you choose Ph.D. or Integrated Ph.D. program in the basic registration form, please go through the eligibility criteria carefully. Click here to go to page.
- Ensure that you have typed your email ID correctly in the basic registration form. An sms is sent on the mobile number and an email is sent after completion of the basic registration wherein login credentials are given to complete the form.
- Before you start filling up the complete application form make sure the following are ready with you :
- Scanned image/electronic copy of your Passport size photograph (preferably a jpg file below 80 kb in size). Applications with personal photos (selfies) or edited photos uploaded will be rejected.
- Scanned copy of signature (preferably a jpg file below 80 kb in size).
Application Fee & Payment
- Application Fee (Non-Refundable):
- Male Candidates: Rs 900/-
- Female Candidates: Rs 300/-
- Application fee can only be paid online through Internet banking/Debit/Credit Card/UPI or other modes as available on our payment gateway.
For more information, please visit website http://univ.tifr.res.in
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
- University Cell-Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (Deemed to be University), Homi Bhabha Road, Colaba, Mumbai 400005, Indi, el: 022-2278 2629/2114 Fax: 022-22804555, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website http://univ.tifr.res.in
Admission Open for 2020
- UPES Dehradun 2020 Admissions all Courses - Apply Now!
- Lovely Professional University Admissions 2020 open for all Courses - Apply Now!
- Chandigarh University, Punjab Admissions Open for All Courses 2020 - Apply Now!