The Mitacs Globalink Research Award provides funding to support senior undergraduate and graduate student research projects abroad.

About Globalink Research Award

The Globalink Research Award provides an opportunity for faculty at Canadian universities to strengthen existing international research collaborations and connect with colleagues around the world through the mobility of senior undergraduate and graduate students.

Student recipients of the Globalink Research Award will develop research skills, cultural fluency and professional network, becoming part of Canada’s generation of global innovators.


Also See : Scholarships 2019


The benefits also include

No deadlines. Applications are accepted at any time

Simple and quick application process

Strengthens international research collaborations

Funding provided to support the student’s travel costs.

Eligibility Criteria

Student Eligibility In order to be eligible for a Globalink Research Award for research at a university outside of Canada, a student must:

Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or international student

Be registered for full-time studies at a Canadian university as a senior undergraduate student or graduate student

Demonstrate skills and interest suitable to the project(s) in question

Have identified a faculty member at their home university to supervise the project and administer the funds

For undergraduate students only Mitacs will allow oversight and administration of the funds to be performed through alternative arrangements as per the home institution’s policies. Please contact Mitacs to make such arrangements.

Have identified a host academic supervisor with a faculty appointment at an accredited university in a Mitacs partner country

Meet all necessary travel requirements for the intended destination

Undergraduate student eligibility Have completed their second year of studies prior to departure

Enrolled in full-time studies and remain as such throughout the duration of the Globalink Research Award

Maintain a B average or equivalent thereof

Students cannot undertake a research project at an institution where they have previously completed a degree or been employed.

Home University Academic Supervisor Eligibility An academic supervisor for recipients of the Globalink Research Award must:

Be a faculty member at a Canadian university who is eligible to supervise graduate students and can hold Tri-Council funding

Adhere to university policies regarding research abroad

Approve a faculty member at an eligible host university to collaborate with and host the graduate student during the research project

Be willing to supervise and support the student with the development of the research plan and oversee the project.

Host University Academic Supervisor Eligibility The host faculty supervisor for the Globalink Research Award must:

Be a recognized faculty member at an accredited university in one of Mitacs partner countries: Brazil, mainland China, India, Mexico or Vietnam who is eligible to supervise graduate students.

How to Apply

Applicants from Canadian universities who have an identified research project and a host supervisor at an accredited university in a Mitacs partner country must submit an application directly to Mitacs.

The International Pre-departure Form and Mitacs Student Code of Conduct and Ethics form can be submitted after the submission of the application; however, funds will not be released until Mitacs receives these forms.

Applicants must submit their completed application by email as a PDF document to [email protected]. Mitacs recommends keeping individual PDF files to less than 2MB.

Applicants should apply approximately 10-12 weeks prior to the start of the project to allow for adjudication, filing of appropriate documentation, and travel and accommodation arrangements.

Mitacs recommends applicants submit applications by September 28, 2015, for projects starting in winter 2016

Mitacs – 301-6190 Agronomy Road

University of British Columbia,
Vancouver, BC V6T1Z3,
For more detail please visit website or