Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) announces Doctoral Fellowships for the Year 2021-22
ICSSR Doctoral Fellowship 2021 – Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) invites applications for Doctoral Fellowships for the year 2021-22 from Indian scholars. The research proposal should be in the field of social science discipline or may be interdisciplinary in nature having significant social science content.
- Doctoral Fellowships are awarded to selected scholars, who are registered for Ph.D. in UGC recognized institutes of national importance, universities/ deemed universities, ICSSR research institutes and colleges having approved Ph.D. programme with requisite infrastructure as defined by MoE /UGC to pursue and complete their doctoral research in any social science discipline.
Categories of Doctoral Fellowship
- ICSSR is providing Doctoral Fellowships under its three ‘Centrally-Administered Doctoral Fellowship Schemes’ and ‘Institutional Doctoral Fellowship Scheme’ in accordance with the prescribed guidelines. In case of Centrally-Administered Schemes, the fellowships are awarded and monitored directly by ICSSR and the concerned doctoral fellows are affiliated to a university or college. Under the Institutional Fellowship Scheme, the doctoral fellows are affiliated to and monitored by an ICSSR sponsored / recognized research institute. The scholar can avail anyone of the fellowships under the following categories:
- Centrally Administered Full-Term Doctoral Fellowship
- Institutional Full-Term Doctoral Fellowship (administered by the ICSSR research institutes)
- Centrally Administered Short-Term Doctoral Fellowship
- Centrally Administered Contingency Grant
ICSSR Doctoral Fellowship 2021 Important Dates
- The last date for online submission of application is : 14 August 2021, 5:00 PM
Duration and Value
Centrally Administered Full-Term Doctoral Fellowship
- The duration of the fellowship is strictly for two years or till the date of Ph.D. submission at the university, whichever is earlier.
- The value of the fellowship is Rs.20,000/- per month and contingency grant is Rs.20,000 /- per annum.
- Doctoral Fellow should be a full-time bonafide Ph. D student at the affiliating university throughout the fellowship tenure.
Institutional Doctoral Full-Term Fellowship
- The duration and value of fellowship will be the same as mentioned under the Centrally Administered Full-Term Doctoral Fellowship. (5.1 to 5.3)
Short-Term Doctoral Fellowship
- The duration of the Short-Term Doctoral Fellowship is strictly for six months or till the date of Ph.D. submission at the university, whichever is earlier.
- The value of fellowship is Rs.20,000/- per month plus contingency grant of Rs.10,000 /- for the six-month duration of the Fellowship.
- This is a consolidated grant for meeting contingency expenses of Ph.D. not exceeding Rs.62,500/-incurred during the period of joining the fellowship and date of submission of thesis at the university.
Eligibility Criteria for ICSSR Doctoral Fellowship 2021
Centrally Administered Full-Term Doctoral Fellowship
- The candidate must have a confirmed Ph.D. registration (Research Degree Committee (RDC) approved) at any of the institutions mentioned at 1.1 above on the last date of application. It includes the requirements of clearance of Research Entrance Test (RET); The Ph.D. topic must have been confirmed.
- The candidate must not be more than 40 years of age on the last date of application. There shall be an age relaxation of 5 years for SC/ST/Person with benchmark disability;
- The candidate must have secured a minimum 45% marks in Graduation and 55% in Post-Graduation or equivalent grades in any social science discipline. Five per cent (5%) relaxation of marks will be given to the SC/ST candidates; The submission of Marks Sheet, particularly of Graduation and Post-Graduation are mandatory otherwise the candidate shall be considered as Not Eligible.
- NET/SLET and M. Phil from a recognized university will carry weightage in the assessment of research proposals. But NET/SLET qualifications are not mandatory for eligibility purposes. However, the submission of the NET / SLET Certificate is mandatory to secure weightage in assessment.
- Candidates who have already availed UGC Junior Research Fellowship (JRF)/ Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship (RGNF)/ Maulana Azad National Fellowship (MANF)/ ICSSR/ ICAR/ CSIR/ ICPR/ ICMR/ ICHR or any such doctoral fellowship are not eligible to apply.
Institutional Full-Term Doctoral Fellowship
- All the conditions of the Centrally Administered Doctoral Fellowship (2.1 to 2.5) shall apply to this category also and the fellowship shall be administered through the ICSSR research institutes.;
Centrally Administered Short-Term Fellowship
- All the conditions of the Centrally Administered Doctoral Fellowship (2.1 to 2.5) shall apply and, in addition, the candidate should have completed at least two years of research work for Ph.D. degree at any of the institutions mentioned at 1.1 above.
Centrally Administered Contingency Grant
- This is a one-time grant awarded to a registered Ph. D. scholar at any of the institutions mentioned at 1.1 above, who is at an advanced stage of his/her research work. The candidate meeting all conditions of the Centrally Administered Doctoral Fellowship (2.1 to 2.5) is eligible to apply for Contingency Grant for the purposes of field trip, stationery and computer consumable related expenses.
ICSSR Doctoral Fellowship 2021 Application Process
- Link to apply: https://icssr.org/administrator
- Applicants must apply in accordance with the ICSSR Doctoral Fellowship Guidelines.
- Applications will be invited through open advertisement on ICSSR website and should be received before the deadline mentioned in the advertisement.
- The candidates shall submit an online application which includes the Research Proposal Format, namely, ‘Section IV: Details of Research Proposal’ given in the Application Form. Proposals should be submitted in the given proforma only.
- N.B. At this stage, the candidates need not submit any document other than those referred in application form.
- All scholars are required to keep the hard copies of their application and annexures ready, duly forwarded by the competent authorities of the university/college/institute so that they may submit the required hard copies, within one week after the completion of the process of screening. It is being done for the sake of convenience of the applicants so that they get more time for preparing the hard copies.
- In case, the hard copy of application is not received within 10 days of asking, the candidature of applicants shall be treated as withdrawn/cancelled.
For more details and to apply, please visit the official website