IIT JAM Syllabus 2024 Out: Download Syllabus PDF for Mathematics, Biotechnology, Physics, Chemistry
IIT JAM Syllabus 2024 – The IIT JAM 2024 exam is held for seven test papers. To save the students’ time the following article provides the students with an insight into the IIT JAM 2024 Syllabus, so as their preparation can be more thorough inorder to get admission into their desired institutes. For the ease of the candidates the official website for IIT JAM 2024 provides the entire syllabus for all the seven test papers (https://jam.iitm.ac.in/Test_Paper.php). The conducting body for IIT JAM 2024 is IIT Madras.Also see details of Application process of IIT JAM 2024 before deciding to sit for the exam.
IIT JAM 2024 Syllabus
The IIT JAM 2024 will be held for seven test papers namely,
- Mathematical Statistics
The syllabus for all the seven test papers can be found on the official website for IIT JAM 2024, i.e., https://jam.iitm.ac.in/Test_Paper.php.
IIT JAM Syllabus 2024 Pdf Download
The following are the PDFs as provided on the official website of the IIT JAM 2024 for the syllabus of the seven test papers that are to be tested upon:-
Test Paper and Codes
PDF Download Link
IIT JAM 2024 Biotechnology (BT) Syllabus
The following is the IIT JAM 2024 Biotechnology (BT) Syllabus consisting of topics such as General Biology, Biochemistry, and Microbiology/Cell Biology/Immunology among other things:-
|IIT JAM Syllabus Biotechnology
|Taxonomy of plants and animals
||Classification of microorganisms and their characterization
|Prokaryotic and eukaryotic organisms
||Trace elements in biological systems
||Nutrient requirement for growth of microorganisms
|Cell organelles and their functions
||Enzymes and proteins
||Laboratory techniques in microbiology
||Pathogenic microorganisms and diseases caused by them
|Energy transformations in living organisms
||Viruses and fungi
|Internal transport systems in plants and animals
||Carbohydrates and lipids and their metabolism
||Digestion and absorption
|Regulation of body fluids and excretory mechanisms
||Nucleic acid metabolism
||Types of chromosome structure
|Plant and animal hormones and their actions
||Nature of gene and its function
||Biochemical genetics – inborn errors of metabolism
||Innate and adaptive immunity
||Synthesis of nucleic acids and proteins
|Plant and animal diseases
||Regulation of gene expression
||Principles of processes of development
|Mendelian genetics and heredity
|Basics of developmental biology
||Structure of biomolecules
|Biology of populations and communities
||Intra and intermolecular forces
||Thermodynamics and kinetics of biological systems
|Basic principles of ecology
||Enzyme mechanisms and kinetics
|Genesis and diversity of organisms
||Principles of X-ray diffraction, IR- and UV-spectroscopy
IIT JAM 2024 Chemistry (CY) Syllabus
The following is the IIT JAM 2024 Chemistry (CY) Syllabus:-
|IIT JAM Syllabus Chemistry
|Basic Mathematical concepts
|Atomic and Molecular Structure
|Theory of gasses
||Organic reaction mechanism
||Shapes of compounds
||S and P block elements
||Qualitative organic Analysis
|Chemical & phase Equilibria
||Natural products chemistry
||Aromatic & Heterocyclic chemistry
||Instrumental method of analysis
IIT JAM 2024 Economics (EN) Syllabus
The following is the IIT JAM 2024 Economics (EN) Syllabus:-
- Consumer theory
- Theory of production and cost
- General equilibrium and welfare
- Market structure
- Game theory
- Public goods and market failure
- National income accounting
- Behavioral and technological functions
- Business cycles and economic models (closed economy)
- Business cycles and economic models (open economy)
- Inflation and unemployment
- Growth Models
Statistics for Economics
- Probability theory
- Mathematical statistics
- Hypothesis testing
- Correlation and regression
- Indian economy before 1950
- Planning and Indian development
- Indian economy after 1991
- Banking, finance and macroeconomic policies
- Inequalities in social development
- India’s labor market
Mathematics for Economics
- Indian economy before 1950
- Differential calculus
- Integral calculus
- Differential equations, and difference equations
- Linear algebra
IIT JAM 2024 Geology (GG) Syllabus
The following is the IIT JAM 2024 Geology (GG) Syllabus:-
|Planet Earth: Origin and Composition
- Origin of the Solar System and the Earth
- Geosphere and the composition of the Earth
- Shape and size of the Earth
- Earth-moon system
- Formation of continents and oceans
- Dating rocks and age of the Earth
- Volcanism and volcanic landform
- Interior of the Earth
- Earth’s magnetism and gravity
- Elements of Plate tectonics
- Orogenic cycles
- Weathering and erosion
- Transportation and deposition due to wind, ice, river, sea, and resulting landforms
- Structurally controlled landforms
- Concept of stratum
- Outcrop patterns
- Maps and cross sections
- Dip and strike
- Classification and origin of folds, faults, joints, unconformities, foliations, lineations, shear zones
- Stereographic and equal area projections of planes and lines
- Computation of true thickness of beds from outcrops and boreholes
- Major steps in the evolution of life forms
- Fossils: preservation, utility, morphological characters
- Major evolutionary trends and ages of important animal groups (Brachiopoda, Mollusca, Trilobita, Graptoloidea, Anthozoa, Echinodermata)
- Gondwana plant fossils
- Elementary idea of vertebrate fossils in India
- Principles of stratigraphy
- Litho-, chrono-, and biostratigraphic classification
- Distribution and classification of stratigraphic horizons of India from Archaean to Recent
- Symmetry and forms in common crystal classes
- Physical properties of minerals
- Isomorphism and polymorphism
- Classification of minerals
- Structure of silicates
- Mineralogy of common rock-forming minerals
- Mode of occurrence of minerals in rocks
- Transmitted polarized light microscopy and optical properties of uniaxial and biaxial minerals
- Definition and classification of rocks
- Igneous rocks: forms of igneous bodies, crystallization from magma, classification, association, and genesis
- Sedimentary rocks: classification, texture, structure, size and shape of sedimentary bodies
- Metamorphic rocks: classification, facies, zones, texture, characteristic mineral assemblages
- Properties of common economic minerals
- General processes
IIT JAM 2024 Mathematics (MA) Syllabus
The following is the IIT JAM 2024 Mathematics (MA) Syllabus:-
|IIT JAM Syllabus Mathematics 2024
|Sequences and Series of Real Numbers
- Sequence of real numbers
- Convergence of sequence
- Bounded and monotone sequences
- Convergence criteria for sequences of real numbers
- Cauchy sequences
- Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem
|Series of real numbers
- Absolute convergence
- Tests of convergence for series of positive terms
- Comparison test
- Ratio test
- Root test
- Leibniz test for convergence of alternating series
|Functions of Two or Three Real Variables
- Partial derivatives
- Maxima and minima
- Integration as the inverse process of differentiation
- Definite integrals and their properties
- Fundamental theorem of calculus
- Double and triple integrals
- Change of order of integration
- Calculating surface areas and volumes using double integrals
- Calculating volumes using triple integrals
- Ordinary differential equations of the first order of the form y’=f(x,y)
- Bernoulli’s equation
- Exact differential equations
- Integrating factor
- Orthogonal trajectories
- Homogeneous differential equations
- Variable separable equations
- Linear differential equations of second order with constant coefficients
- Method of variation of parameters
- Cauchy-Euler equation
- Scalar and vector fields
- Line integrals
- Surface integrals
- Green’s theorem
- Stokes’ theorem
- Gauss’ theorem
- Abelian groups
- Non-Abelian groups
- Cyclic groups
- Permutation groups
- Normal subgroups
- Lagrange’s Theorem for finite group
- Group homomorphisms
- Basic concepts of quotient groups
- Finite dimensional vector spaces
- Linear independence of vectors
- Linear transformations
- Matrix representation
- Range space
- Null space
- Rank-nullity theorem
- Rank and inverse of a matrix
- Solutions of systems of linear equations
- Consistency conditions
- Eigenvalues and eigenvectors for matrices
- Cayley-Hamilton theorem
- Interior points
- Limit points
- Open sets
- Closed sets
- Bounded sets
- Connected sets
- Compact sets
- Completeness of R
- Power series (of real variable)
- Taylor’s series
- Radius and interval of convergence
- Term-wise differentiation and integration of power series
IIT JAM 2024 Mathematical Statistics (MS) Syllabus
The following is the IIT JAM 2024 Mathematical Statistics (MS) Syllabus:-
|Sequences and Series
- Sequences and Series
- Convergence of sequences of real numbers
- Comparison, root, and ratio tests for convergence of series of real numbers
|– Differential Calculus
- Limits, continuity, and differentiability of functions of one and two variables
- Rolle’s theorem, mean value theorems, Taylor’s theorem, indeterminate forms
- Maxima and minima of functions of one and two variables
|– Integral Calculus
- Fundamental theorems of integral calculus
- Double and triple integrals, applications of definite integrals, arc lengths, areas, and volumes
- Rank, inverse of a matrix
- Systems of linear equations
- Linear transformations, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors
- Cayley-Hamilton theorem, symmetric, skew-symmetric, and orthogonal matrices
- Axiomatic definition of probability and properties
- Conditional probability, multiplication rule
- Theorem of total probability, Bayes’ theorem, independence of events
- Probability mass function, probability density function, and cumulative distribution functions
- Distribution of a function of a random variable
- Mathematical expectation, moments, and moment generating function
- Chebyshev’s inequality
- Negative binomial,
- Beta, and normal distributions
- Poisson and normal
- Approximations of a binomial distribution
- Joint, marginal, and conditional distributions
- Distribution of functions of random variables
- Joint moment generating function
- Product moments, correlation, simple linear regression
- Independence of random variables
|– Sampling Distributions
- Chi-square, t, and F distributions, and their properties
|– Limit Theorems
- Weak law of large numbers
- Central limit theorem (i.i.d. with finite variance case only)
- Consistency, and efficiency of estimators
- Method of moments and method of maximum likelihood
- Sufficiency, factorization theorem
- Completeness, Rao-Blackwell, and Lehmann-Scheffe theorems
- Uniformly minimum variance unbiased estimators
- Rao-Cramer inequality
- Confidence intervals for the parameters of univariate normal, two independent normal, and one-parameter exponential distributions
|Testing of Hypotheses
- Basic concepts
- Applications of Neyman-Pearson Lemma for testing simple and composite hypotheses
- Likelihood ratio tests for parameters of univariate normal distribution
IIT JAM 2024 Physics (PH) Syllabus
The following is the IIT JAM 2024 Physics (PH) Syllabus:-
- Calculus of single and multiple variables,
- Partial derivatives,
- Imperfect and perfect differentials, Taylor expansion,
- Fourier series.
- Vector algebra,
- Vector Calculus,
- Multiple integrals,
- Divergence theorem,
- Green’s theorem,
- Stokes’ theorem.
- First-order equations and linear second-order differential equations with constant coefficients.
- Matrices and determinants, Algebra of complex number
Mechanics and General Properties of Matter:
- Newton’s laws of motion and applications,
- Velocity and acceleration in Cartesian,
- Polar and cylindrical coordinate systems,
- Uniformly rotating frame, centrifugal and Coriolis forces,
- Motion under a central force, Kepler’s laws,
- Gravitational Law and field, and Conservative and non-conservative forces.
- System of particles,
- Center of mass,
- Equation of motion of the CM, conservation of linear and angular momentum,
- Conservation of energy, and variable mass systems.
- Elastic and inelastic collisions.
- Rigid body motion, fixed axis rotations, rotation and translation, moments of Inertia and products of Inertia,
- Parallel and perpendicular axes theorem.
- Principal moments and axes.
- Kinematics of moving fluids, equation of continuity,
- Euler’s equation, Bernoulli’s theorem.
Oscillations, Waves and Optics:
- Differential equation for simple harmonic oscillator and its general solution.
- Superposition of two or more simple harmonic oscillators.
- Lissajous figures.
- Damped and forced oscillators, resonance.
- Wave equation, traveling and standing waves in one dimension.
- Energy density and energy transmission in waves.
- Group velocity and phase velocity.
- Sound waves in the media. Doppler Effect.
- Fermat’s Principle.
- General theory of image formation.
- Thick lens, thin lens, and lens combinations.
- Interference of light, optical path retardation.
- Fraunhofer diffraction.
- Rayleigh criterion and resolving power.
- Diffraction gratings.
- Polarization: linear, circular, and elliptic polarization.
- Double refraction and optical rotation.
Electricity and Magnetism:
- Coulomb’s law, Gauss’s law.
- Electric field and potential.
- Electrostatic boundary conditions, Solution of
- Laplace’s equation for simple cases.
- Conductors, capacitors, dielectrics, dielectric polarization, volume and surface charges, electrostatic energy.
- Biot-Savart law, Ampere’s law, Faraday’s law of electromagnetic induction, Self and mutual inductance.
- Alternating currents. Simple DC and AC circuits with R, L and C components.
- Displacement current, Maxwell’s equations, and plane electromagnetic waves, Poynting’s theorem, reflection and refraction at a dielectric interface, transmission and reflection coefficients (normal incidence only).
- Lorentz Force and motion of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields.
Kinetic theory, Thermodynamics
- Elements of Kinetic theory of gasses.
- Velocity distribution and Equipartition of energy.
- Specific heat of Mono-, di- and triatomic gasses.
- Ideal gas, van-der-Waals gas, and equation of state. Mean free path.
- Laws of thermodynamics. Zeroth law and concept of thermal equilibrium.
- First law and its consequences.
- Isothermal and adiabatic processes.
- Reversible, irreversible, and quasi-static processes.
- Second law and entropy. Carnot cycle.
- Maxwell’s thermodynamic relations and simple applications.
- Thermodynamic potentials and their applications.
- Phase transitions and Clausius-Clapeyron equation.
- Ideas of ensembles,
- Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein distributions.
- Inertial frames and Galilean invariance.
- Postulates of special relativity.
- Lorentz transformations. Length contraction, time dilation.
- Relativistic velocity addition theorem, mass energy equivalence.
- Blackbody radiation, photoelectric effect, Compton effect, Bohr’s atomic model, X-rays.
- Wave-particle duality, Uncertainty principle, the superposition principle, calculation of expectation values, Schrödinger equation and its solution for one, two and three dimensional boxes.
- Solution of Schrödinger equation for the one dimensional harmonic oscillator.
- Reflection and transmission at a step potential, Pauli exclusion principle.
- Structure of atomic nucleus, mass and binding energy.
- Radioactivity and its applications.
- Laws of radioactive decay
Solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics:
- Crystal structure, Bravais lattices and basis. Miller indices.
- X-ray diffraction and Bragg’s law; Intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors, variation of resistivity with temperature.
- Fermi level. p-n junction diode, I-V characteristics, Zener diode and its applications,
- BJT: characteristics in CB, CE, CC modes.
- Single stage amplifier, two stage R-C coupled amplifiers.
- Simple Oscillators: Barkhausen condition, sinusoidal oscillators.
- OP AMP and applications: Inverting and non-inverting amplifier.
- Boolean algebra: Binary number systems; conversion from one system to another system; binary addition and subtraction.
- Logic Gates AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR exclusive OR; Truth tables; a combination of gates; de Morgan’s theorem.
IIT JAM Syllabus FAQs
Q What is IIT JAM Syllabus 2024?
And.The IIT JAM syllabus 2024 is based on the subject chosen by the candidate. It covers topics from undergraduate-level science courses and aims to assess the candidate’s understanding of core concepts.
Q Is the syllabus the same for all subjects in IIT JAM 2024?
Ans. No, the IIT JAM syllabus 2024 is different for each subject offered in IIT JAM. The subjects include Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biotechnology, Mathematical Statistics, Geology, and Economics.
Q How can I obtain the detailed syllabus for my chosen subject in IIT JAM?
Ans.The detailed IIT JAM syllabus 2024 for each subject is available on the official IIT JAM 2024 website and the information brochure released by the organizing institute for that particular year.
Q Is it necessary to cover the entire syllabus for IIT JAM?
Ans. While it’s advisable to cover the entire IIT JAM syllabus 2024, candidates should focus on understanding the core concepts and topics thoroughly. Some topics might carry more weightage in the exam, so prioritize those.
Since, the IIT JAM 2024 is conducted for seven test papers it can get pretty confusing for the candidates when looking for the exact syllabus when preparing for the exam. The article thus, summarizes the IIT JAM 2024 Syllabus for the easier preparation of the candidate when studying for the exam. The IIT JAM 2024 will be conducted on February 11, 2024. The registration for IIT JAM 2024 is now open as of September 05, 2023.
Also See :