UGC NET Exam Syllabus 2019 for Women Studies
Check out for UGC NET New Syllabus for Women Studies for June 2019 – UGC NET is conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA) on behalf of UGC for determining the eligibility of Indian nationals for the Eligibility for Assistant Professor only or Junior Research Fellowship & Eligibility for Assistant Professor both in Indian Universities and Colleges. This page includes new syllabus for NTA UGC NET 2019 June Mass Communication and Journalism exam
The Test will consist of two papers. Both the papers will consist of only objective type questions and will be attempted with a break of 30 minutes between them.
Paper I will have 50 question for 2 marks each – The questions will be generic in nature, intending to assess the teaching/research aptitude of the candidate. It will primarily be designed to test reasoning ability, comprehension, divergent thinking and general awareness of the candidate.
Paper II will consist of 100 questions each carries 2 marks – the question will be based on the subject selected by the candidate. All the questions of Paper–II will be compulsory
See: NTA UGC Net 2019 Exam Pattern
NET Syllabus for Women Studies
Unit I – Introduction to Women’s Studies
- Key concepts in Gender studies.
- Need, Scope and challenges of Women’s Studies – Women’s Studies as an academic discipline. Women’s Studies to Gender Studies, Need for Gender Sensitization.
- Women’s Movements – global and local: Pre-independence, Post-independence and Contemporary Debates.
- National Committees and Commissions for Women.
Unit II – Feminist thinkers and theories
- Liberal Feminism, Marxist Feminism, Radical Feminism, Socialist Feminism, Indian Feminism, Black Feminism, Eco-Feminism.
- New Feminist Debates- Post Colonial /Post Modern, LGBT, Masculinity Studies.
- Contemporary Contestations – Intersex and Transgender Movements.
- Feminist thinkers in 18th, 19th, 20h and 21st Century
Unit III – Gender and Education
- Women’s Education – Gender diversities and disparities in enrolment, Curriculum content, Dropouts, profession and Gender.
- Gendered Education- Family, Culture, Gender roles, Gender Identities.
- Education for the Marginalized Women.
- Recent Trends in Women’s Education – Committees and Commissions on Education.
- Vocational education and skill Development for women.
Unit IV – Women, Work and Employment
- Theoretical Perspective: Fredrick Engels, Rosa Luxemburg, Sandra Whiteworth, Boserup Esther.
- Concept of Work – Productive and non – productive work – Use value and market value.
- Gender Division of Labour – Mode of Production – Women in organized and unorganized sector.
- New Economic Policy and its impact on Women’s Employment – Globalization – Structural Adjustment Programs.
Unit V – Gender and Entrepreneurship
- Concept and meaning, Importance of Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurial traits, Factors contributing to Entrepreneurship, enabling environment, small Enterprises, women in agri-business.
- Gender and emerging Technology – Impact.
- Self-help Groups and Micro Credit.
- Gender mainstreaming, Gender budgeting, planning and Analysis.
Unit VI – Women and Health
- Life Cycle Approach to Women’s Health – Health status of women in India, factors influencing health and Nutritional status.
- Maternal and Child Health (MCH) to Reproductive and Child health approaches.
- Issues of declining Child Sex Ratio, Widowhood and old age.
- Occupational and mental health.
- Health, Hygiene and Sanitation.
- National Health and Population Policies and Programmes.
Unit VII – Women Empowerment and Development
- Theories of Development, Alternative approaches – Women in Development (WID), Women and Development (WAD) and Gender and Development (GAD).
- Empowerment- Concept and indices: Gender Development Index (GDI), Gender Inequality Index (GII), Global Gender Gap Index (GGGI).
- Women Development approaches in Indian Five – Year Plans.
- Women and leadership– Panchayati Raj and Role of NGOs and Women Development.
- Sustainable Development Goals, Policies and Programmes.
See: Latest UGC NET News and Updates June 2019
Unit VIII – Women Law and Governance
- Rights: Gender Equality, Gender Discrimination, Women’s Rights as Human Rights.
- Constitutional provisions for Women in India.
- Personal laws, Labour Laws, Family Courts, Enforcement machinery – Police and Judiciary.
- Crime against Women and Child: Child Abuse, Violence, Human Trafficking, Sexual Harassment at Workplace Act, 2013 – Legal protection
- International Conventions and Legislations Related to Women’s Rights.
Unit IX – Gender and Media
- Discourse on Women and Media Studies- Mainstream Media, Feminist Media.
- Coverage of Women’s issues and issues of women in Mass Media and Media Organizations (Audio-Visual and Print media).
- Digital Media and legal protection.
- Alternative Media – Folk Art, Street Play and Theatre.
- Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act, 1986, Impact of media on women.
Unit X – Feminist Research Methodology
- Understanding Feminist Research – Concepts, Debates and Limitations.
- Feminist Epistemology, Feminist Standpoint, Sexist and Non-Sexist Research Methodology, Ethnography, Queer Theories.
- Research Design and Methods – Survey, Exploratory, Diagnostic, Experimental, Action Research and Case Studies.
- Qualitative verses Quantitative Research.
>>> UGC NET Syllabus Index