Mahatma Gandhi University (MGU) Kottayam announces Admission to PhD Program 2019
MGU PhD Admission 2019 – Applications are invited from interested candidates by Mahatma Gandhi University (MGU) Kottayam for admission into PhD course based on UGC (Minimum standards and procedure for award of M.Phil/ PhD degree) for the academic session 2019
MGU PhD Admission 2019 Important Dates
- The following formats can be downloaded from the link provided 01st July 2019
- The Last Date for Submission of Application Form is 31st July 2019
See: PhD Admissions
Eligibility Criteria for MGU PhD Admission 2019
- Candidates for admission to Ph.D. Programme shall have a Master’s degree in the concerned or a related discipline or a professional degree declared equivalent to Master’s Degree of Mahatma Gandhi University or of other Universities, recognized as eligible for higher studies, thereto securing not less than 55% marks in aggregate or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed or an equivalent degree from a foreign educational institution accredited by an assessment and accreditation agency which is approved, recognised or authorised by an authority established or incorporated under a law in its home country or any other statutory authority in that country for the purpose of assessing, accrediting or assuring quality and standards of educational institutions
- In case, where a candidate with post graduation from other universities proposes to do research in a subject not offered by the university, the subject must have been made equivalent by the university to the corresponding subject in the university
A relaxation of 10% of marks from 55% to 45%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, is allowed to the following category:
- Candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC (Non-creamy layer).
- Differently-abled candidates.
- Other categories of candidates as per the decision of the University Grants
- Commission from time to time.
- A relaxation of 5% of marks from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, is allowed to the candidates who had obtained their Master’s degree prior to 19th September 1991
- The eligibility marks of 55% (or an equivalent grade in a point scale wherever grading system is followed) and the relaxation of 10% and 5% to the categories mentioned above are permissible, only on the basis of qualifying marks excluding Grace Marks.
- A candidate whose M.Phil. dissertation has been evaluated and viva- voce is pending can apply for the Ph.D. Programme, in the same area of research, in the same institution, without appearing for Entrance Test, provided they submit the mark list at the time of Doctoral Interview.
Admission to the Ph.D. Programmes will be made on the basis of the following:
- Entrance Test (ET)
- Doctoral Interview
- Those who qualify the test will be eligible to apply for research in the respective year only
- Those who have passed the Entrance Test with minimum 50% marks and have applied for registration for Ph.D. Programme will be called for a Doctoral Interview
- The selection will be on the basis of the marks obtained for the Doctoral Interview
- Only candidates who secure a minimum mark of 50% will be recommended for registration for Ph.D. Programme. For SC/ST candidates, the minimum mark is 45%.
See: Top PhD Entrance Exams in India
Exemption from Entrance Test
The following categories of candidates are exempted from passing Entrance Test:
- UGC-CSIR-JRF/KSCSTE/DST-INSPIRE/MANF/RGNF/CSIR-SRF Fellowship Awardees
- Candidates who have qualified in the NET/SLET/GATE/GPAT/JEST or other tests conducted by Government bodies such as UGC, CSIR, ICAR, ICMR and ICSSR
- DST Women Scientist Awardees.
- Candidates under Visweswaraya Ph.D. Scheme.
- Scientists from the accredited R&D Institutions.
- Phil. degree holders in the subject concerned.
- Tech. degree holders in the subject concerned.
Registration for Research
- All candidates admitted to the Ph.D. Programme of the University will be granted registration as full time research scholars except those who are eligible for initial part time registration.
- Candidates admitted to Ph.D. Programme shall join the research centre immediately and their date of registration shall be deemed to be from the date of joining for Course Work succeeding registration.
- Students admitted to Ph.D. Programme are required to undertake a Course Work comprising of three papers (Course I, Course II and Course III) for a continuous period of six months as a preparatory to Ph.D. Programme.
- All the candidates are required to qualify the Course Work examination for confirmation of the registration.
Place of Research:
- Research shall be carried out by a research scholar in University Departments or in
- Approved Research Centres
The prescribed fee for Ph.D. registration is
- 1000/- (One Thousand Only) for general candidates and
- 750/- (Seven Hundred and Fifty Only) for SC/ST candidates.
- The cost of the application is Rs. 25/-(Twenty Five Only).
- The fee can only be remitted through the e-payment system and the receipt should be forwarded along with the application.
MGU PhD Admission 2019 Application Process
- The following formats can be downloaded from the link provided here with or from the website www.mgu.ac.in from 01st July 2019 to 31st July 2019 application agreement from the head of the research centre consent from the supervising teacher
- Candidates shall procure a letter of agreement from the head of the research centre/Principal (in the case of affiliated colleges) and letter of consent from the supervising teacher and submit them along with the application form
- E-payment receipt for Rs.1025/- (Rs. 775/- in the case of SC/ST students)
- The filled in application with the related documents should be sent to the Deputy Registrar I (Academic), Mahatma Gandhi University, Priyadarshini Hills, Kottayam-686560
- Also, Scanned copies of the application and related documents should be sent to the email id shown below firstname.lastname@example.org
See: Latest Entrance Exams
For more details visit the official website
MGU (Mahatma Gandhi University) Kerala
MGU Kottayam, Kerala Deputy Registrar I (Academic), Mahatma Gandhi University, Priyadarsini Hills, Kottayam-686560 (Kerala), Website www.mgu.ac.in