Complete Study Guide for CBSE Class 11 English Core
CBSE Class 11 Exam pattern, marking scheme, syllabus, books, chapters, Sample papers, videos, lesson explanation notes, NCERT Solutions and Extra Questions as per latest pattern
Are you looking for the CBSE Class 11 English Study Guide? Well, your search ends here. In this post we have included complete information regarding Class 11 English Core curriculum for students.
Students are in the second last year of their school in Class 11. Students must possess an adequate level of skill in the English language that is suitable for conversational use. The enhancement of higher-order language skills is the main objective of the CBSE English Core programme for senior secondary students. Students must have a solid foundation in language acquisition to succeed at this level. The jump in the level of English from class 10 to class 11 is high and a student must work hard to get a good score.
Through this article we provide all the resources and guidance that you will need for CBSE Class 11 English Core exam preparation. The calibre of our study materials has been attested to by students as well as teachers.
The Complete Guide for class 11 English core (2023–24) acts in accordance with a carefully thought-out strategy for students. The English Syllabus Class 11 CBSE (2023–24) provides students with information on the topics that will be included in the test, the weightage assigned to each topic, the exam pattern and study material. The students also receive other crucial information, such as the duration of the test and instructions for the project, total number of chapters etc.
- CBSE Class 11 Section-wise Weightage
- CBSE Class 11 English Syllabus Course Structure
- CBSE Class 11 English Syllabus
- CBSE Class 10 Prescribed Books
- CBSE Class 11 English Core Question Paper Design
- Hacks to Complete CBSE Class 11 English Syllabus
We can see that a good amount of marks have been allocated to all the three sections of language skills. Additionally, listening and speaking skills have also been taken care of under the internal assessment. Thus, the course structure of class 11 English provides a detailed preparation of English subject.
Let us see the details of the questions that will be asked in the English exam in each section. The marks allocation for each questions and the type of question that will be asked have also been described by the CBSE.
CBSE Class 11 English Syllabus 2023-24 – Course Structure
CBSE Class 11 Syllabus
The students may learn about the needs of the topics in the curriculum and what will be on the examination by studying the English curriculum Class 11 CBSE 2023–24. The English Syllabus 2023–24 Class 11 outline also improves student effectiveness in English and maintains their enthusiasm in their studies.
The English Syllabus Class 11 CBSE 2023-24 PDF typically includes all the material that students need to be aware of. The student’s ability to do well in their class 11 exams might be aided by deep knowledge. The CBSE Class 11 English Syllabus 2023–24 PDF is easily accessible to students on SuccessCDs and CBSE Official Website.
You can also download the Syllabus by clicking on the link .
Check out the latest CBSE Syllabus for Class 11 English. The syllabus is for the academic year 2023-24 session and will remain the same until the next notification.
Section A – 26 Marks Reading Skills
- Reading Comprehension through Unseen Passage (12+10 = 22 Marks)
- One unseen passage to assess comprehension, interpretation, analysis and inference. Vocabulary. The passage may be factual, descriptive or literary.
- One unseen case-based factual passage with verbal/visual inputs like statistical data, charts etc. to assess comprehension, interpretation, analysis, inference and evaluation.
Note: The combined word limit for both the passages will be 600-750 words.
Multiple Choice Questions / Objective Type Questions will be asked.
- Note Making and Summarisation based on a passage of approximately 200-250 words.
Section B – 23 Marks Grammar & Creative Writing Skills
Grammar 7 marks
- Questions on Gap filling (Tenses, Clauses)
- Questions on re-ordering/ transformation of sentences
Creative Writing Skills 16 marks
Short writing task – Classified Advertisements, up to 50 words. One out of the two given questions to be answered (3 Marks: Format : 1 / Content : 1 / Expression : 1)
Short writing task –Poster up to 50 words. One out of the two given questions to be answered. (3 marks:Format : 1 / Content : 1 / Expression : 1)
Long Writing task: Speech in 120-150 words based on verbal / visual cues related to contemporary / age-appropriate topic. One out of the two given questions to be answered. (5 Marks: Format: 1 / Content: 2 / Expression: 2)
Long Writing Task: Debate based on visual/verbal inputs in 120-150 words, thematically related to contemporary, topical issues. One out of the two given questions to be answered. (5 Marks: Format: 1 / Content: 2 / Expression: 2).
Section C – 31 Marks Literature Text Book and Supplementary Reading Text
This section comprises a range of assessment elements that evaluate understanding, interpretation, analysis, evaluation, and extrapolation beyond the text, such as multiple choice questions, objective questions, short answer questions, and long answer questions.
- One Poetry extract out of two, from the book Hornbill, to assess comprehension, interpretation, analysis, inference and appreciation. (3×1=3 Marks)
- One Prose extract out of two, from the book Hornbill, to assess comprehension, interpretation, analysis, evaluation and appreciation. (3×1=3 Marks)
- One prose extract out of two, from the book Snapshots, to assess comprehension, interpretation, analysis, inference and evaluation. (4×1=4 Marks)
- Two Short answer type questions (one from Prose and one from Poetry, from the book Hornbill), out of four, to be answered in 40-50 words. Questions should elicit inferential responses through critical thinking. (3×2=6 Marks)
- One Short answer type question, from the book Snapshots, to be answered in 40-50 words. Questions should elicit inferential responses through critical thinking. One out of two questions to be done. (3×1=3 Marks)
- One Long answer type question, from Prose/Poetry of Hornbill, to be answered in 120-150 words. Questions can be based on incident / theme / passage / extract / event as reference points to assess extrapolation beyond and across the text. The question will elicit analytical and evaluative response from the student. Any one out of two questions to be done. (1×6=6 Marks)
- One Long answer type question, based on the chapters from the book Snapshots, to be answered in 120-150 words, to assess global comprehension and extrapolation beyond the text. Questions to provide analytical and evaluative responses using incidents, events, themes, as reference points. Any one out of two questions to be done. (1×6=6 Marks)
Internal Assessment (20 Marks)
CBSE Class 11 English Core Prescribed Books
Hornbill: English Reader published by National Council of Education Research and Training, New Delhi
- The Portrait of a Lady (Prose)
- A Photograph (Poem)
- “We’re Not Afraid to Die… if We Can be Together
- Discovering Tut: the Saga Continues
- The Laburnum Top (Poem)
- The Voice of the Rain (Poem)
- Childhood (Poem)
- The Adventure
- Silk Road (Prose)
- Father to Son
Snapshots: Supplementary Reader published by National Council of Education Research and Training, New Delhi
- The Summer of the Beautiful White Horse (Prose)
- The Address (Prose)
- Mother’s Day (Play)
- Birth ( Prose)
- The Tale of Melon City
CBSE Class 11 English Core Question Paper Design 2023-24
What are the Hacks to Complete CBSE Class 11 English Syllabus 2023-24?
There are various hacks which students should follow to complete the CBSE Class 11 English Syllabus 2023-24 effectively if they want to score well in their examinations. The hacks are:
- Go through the entire syllabus: All the students are advised to go through the English Syllabus Class 11 CBSE 2023-24 which includes all the important information, such as the subjects and ideas that will be covered in the examination, the time allotted for the exam, the weighted average for each topic, etc. Check out the detailed syllabus discussion for CBSE Class 11 here- CBSE Class 11 English Core Syllabus
- Create a study schedule: All students should make a study timetable since doing so will enable them to split the topics into manageable daily study sessions. You may enrol in SuccessCDs Course and follow the plan curated by subject experts.
- Complete all the topics and concepts: With the aid of the English Syllabus Class 11 CBSE 2023–24, the students may finish all the subjects and concepts. In class 11, a syllabus can also assist every student in understanding challenging topics. You may read the chapter explanations written in an easy to understand manner at SuccessCDS Website or click on the link below.
- Solving MCQ’s: MCQ questions can be answered only when the student has studied the syllabus properly and understood it deeply. SuccessCDS provides free MCQ Question Bank where you can practise and add final touches to your board exam preparations. Check out our expert curated MCQ’s here- CBSE Class 11 MCQ’s
- Solve Sample Papers: Solving Sample Papers gives one a sense of what actual board exam paper is going to be like. Hence, the role of solving sample papers is quite significant.
- Understand traits of all characters and find similarities/dissimilarities: CBSE recently has started asking questions based on personality traits between characters across different chapters. Hence it becomes important to study all characters in detail. You may refer to important character sketches for Class 11 here- CBSE Class 11 Character Sketches
- Use Visual Representation: Students can also use visual representation to better grasp all the themes in the English Syllabus Class 11 CBSE 2023–24 for successful test preparation. Diagrams, pictures, charts, and other visual aids can not only help students comprehend the material better, but they can also be very useful when it comes time for review.