Classified Advertisement Class 11 English Writing skills – Advertisement writing
Classified Advertisement topic added in Class 11 English Writing skills 2022-2023 syllabus
Classified Advertisement Class 11 – In the class 11 CBSE examination (2022-23), a question on Classified advertisement (3 MARKS) will be given. There will be internal choice and students can attempt either of the two options.
Class 11 English Writing skills – Advertisement writing – Breakup of Marks
The breakup of 3 marks for the question on Advertisement writing in the class 11 English writing skills paper as per CBSE guidelines is as follows:
What is a classified advertisement?
A classified advertisement is a small advertisement that you put in a newspaper or a magazine, usually because you want to sell or buy something or to find or offer a job. It can also be written to rent out or seek a house on rent. Matrimonial alliance seekers also give classified advertisements in newspapers.
Classified Advertisement Format
While writing a classified advertisement, one must follow the format because it carries a weightage of 1 mark. A classified advertisement has the following parts –
- Title / heading – The heading of the classified advertisement is given in the top centre. Generally, it comprises one or two words. The titles are specific according to the purpose of the classified advertisement. For example a classified advertisement for giving a space on rent has the title “To let”, an advertisement for seeking workers will be titled “situation vacant”, a matrimonial advertisement seeking a wife will be titled “bride wanted”.
- Body – The body of the classified advertisement comprises the details of the issue at hand. It has to give out the related important details which are essential first hand information for the reader to make an informed decision. Generally, it ends with contact details like name, mobile phone number, email id or address of the person or organization that has put the advertisement.
|Title / Heading|
Body of the advertisement
Classified Advertisement Topics for Class 11 English Writing Skills paper
A Classified advertisement is written by an employer who is looking for the services of a person in his organisation or to sell/purchase/rent any property or for many other purposes.
|TYPE OF ADVERTISEMENT||PURPOSE|
|SITUATION VACANT||This advertisement is written by an employer who is looking for the services of a person in his organisation.|
|SITUATION WANTED||This is written by a job-seeker.|
|FOR SALE||This is written in an attempt to sell property, assets, office goods, etc.|
|TO LET||This is written by a person looking for tenants for his/her property.|
|ACCOMODATION WANTED||Written by the ones looking for a place for accommodation.|
|MATRIMONIALS||This is written while looking for prospective marriage candidates|
|MISSING||This is written in case any object/person/pet goes missing giving descriptive details for the same.|
Tips for writing Classified Advertisement for Class 11 English Writing skills paper
- When you’re writing an advertisement, every word counts. Being too vague or wordy will cause people to skim your advertisement instead of pausing to read it, so the same writing tenets apply no matter what type of advertisement you’re writing.
- It should begin with a heading in bold or upper case letters.
- The language should be according to the audience we are referring to. For example- If you want to sell something to the youngsters, the words chosen shall be good enough to attract them.
- Do not use the same descriptive characteristics for every type of advertisement. For example- In Situation Wanted case, calling for receptionist applications, one must use words that are indicative of the personality and communication skills you are looking for. On the other hand, for hiring a tech executive, it is imperative you ask for skills limited to the IT department.
- Do not make full sentences. The prescribed limit is 50 words and in order to make your advertisement loaded with information about the topic, you have to manage your words carefully.
- Always add contact details in the end either in the form of contact no., email id or both. They are generally given in the question.
- Remember, nowhere in the answer are you required to mention your own personal details.
- It should always be in a box made with sharpened pencil.
- It should be neat and clean with a good presentation.
- Practice a lot of advertisements because, “Practice makes the man (or woman, for that matter) perfect” .
Classified Advertisement Examples for class 11 English Writing skills
- Principal, Sunrise Global School, Agra requires a receptionist for her school. Draft a suitable advertisement in about 50 words to be published in the classified columns of a national newspaper giving all the necessary details of qualifications and experience required in the receptionist.
REQUIRED a young, dynamic, smart, charismatic and friendly female receptionist for Sunrise Global School, Agra. Attractive salary with fringe benefits. Healthy work environment. Fresh graduates having honours or equivalent degree in English with good communication skills can apply by sending their cover letter and resume till March 30 on the below mentioned id: firstname.lastname@example.org. For queries, contact: 98100XXXXX
- You are Vikram/Sonia, an Hon’s graduate in history with specialization in Medieval India. You are well acquainted with places of historical interest in Delhi, Agra and Jaipur. You are looking for the job of tourist guide. Write an advertisement in about 50 words for the situations wanted column of a local newspaper. Your contact no. 999751234.
BA (Hons) History topper, Vikram/Sonia, with specialization in Medieval India is looking for the job of a tourist guide. Age 22 years. Affluent in Hindi and English. Well-acquainted with places of historical interest in Delhi, Agra and Jaipur. Good communication skills, persuasion skills and charming personality. Expected salary- 30,000pm. Contact no.: 999751234 and email-id : email@example.com.
- 3. You are Harish/Harshita of 12, Seva Nagar, Pune. You want to sell your flat as you are shifting to another city for work. Draft a suitable advertisement in not more than 50 words to be published in The Pune Times under the classified columns.
Flat No. 12, Seva Nagar, Pune. Ground floor with two bedrooms having attached bathrooms, car parking available, park facing, best location, friendly neighbours, 24 hour power and water supply, low maintenance charges and reasonable price. For further details, contact: Harish/Harshita 98100XXXXX
- You are Ram/Rajani. Draft a classified advertisement, in not more than 50 words, to be published in India Times for the sale of a used motor car giving all the necessary details. You can be contacted at 12345679.
(CBSE 2017 COMPARTMENT)
Available black Maruti SWIFT Dzire, ZXI, year 2016, self-driven, cautiously used, scratch less with a stereo and perfectly working air-conditioner. No scratches,Beautiful upholstery, good condition, Interested may contact: Ram /Rajni , 12345679
- You are Karan Kumar/ Karuna Bajaj, a leading lawyer practising in Surat. You want to buy an independent house at City Light Road to be used as office-cum-residence. Draft an advertisement in about 50 words for the classified columns of a local newspaper. You can be contacted at 45645678.
Independent house at City Light Road to be used as office-cum-residence, medium-sized, preferably the corner one, fully-furnished and ready to move in. Reasonably priced. Interested may contact Karan Kumar/ Karuna Bajaj: 45645678
6. You are Sameera/Sameer the owner of Pink Power, a café run only by women. You are looking for an interior designer to design the interiors of the café. Draft a suitable advertisement for the same, in about 50 words to be published in the classified columns of the National Daily, the local newspaper.
(CBSE SQP 2020-21)
REQUIRED an interior designer for café interiors redesigning. Area to be redesigned 600sq.ft. designing of private dining areas and work stations required. Modern design needed. Graduate in interior designing preferred. Remuneration will be decided mutually. Apply with portfolio and bio data at firstname.lastname@example.org. Sameera XXX0000XXX
Class 11 Classified Advertisement writing Extra Question Answers
Q. What are the steps to write a classified advertisement?
- Decide the category.
- Give a suitable heading.
- Enlist the important features of the job/product/property/package.
- Mention the important date (if any), address and contact details.
- Put the entire content in a box.
Q. List the popular topics of classified advertisements.1. Situation Wanted
- Situation Vacant
- Lost and Found
- Vehicle for Sale
- Tour and Travel
Q. Give a few examples of Classified advertisement questions.
A.1. You are the General Manager of Tata Motors. You need a Chartered Accountant for your office. Draft an advertisement to be published in The Times of India, New Delhi, under the classified columns.
- You are a Software Engineer with five years of experience in a leading IT firm. You are looking for a job change. Draft a classified advertisement to be published in a leading newspaper under the classified columns.
- You are Arav. You wish to hire a dance teacher for your younger sister. Write an advertisement to be published in the classified column of a leading dally.
- You are Ayushi. You require a salesman for your gift shop in Kirti Nagar, New Delhi. Draft an advertisement to be published in the classified column of The Times of India.
- A doctor requires a spacious place which can be converted into a clinic. It should be on the ground floor with adequate parking in the front and should be commercially viable. Draft an advertisement for this purpose.
- You are Manisha Pant. You lost your passport. Draft an advertisement to be published in the Lost and Found column of a local daily.
- You have found a ladies purse containing some valuable documents and cash. Draft an advertisement to be given in a local daily.
- You are Kailash Srivastav. You want to sell your two-wheeler. Draft a suitable advertisement to be published in a local dally.
- You want a match for your son who is an IT professional. Draft an advertisement to be published in a local daily.
- You want a match for your highly qualified daughter. She is heading the Sales and Marketing team for Microsoft India. Draft an advertisement to be published in a national daily.
- You have recently constructed a house with all facilities in a posh area. But you have got a foreign assignment and will be going abroad soon. You wish to sell your house. Draft a suitable advertisement to be published in a leading daily.
Q. List down the important information that a classified advertisement must include.
- The category should be clearly mentioned
- Must be attractive with a catchy caption, heading or sub-headings.
- Give all necessary details types of the job/product/property/package in points using commas
- Give the last date (if any)/ special offers, contact address, name and telephone number.
- Put the matter in a box.
Q. Is a classified advertisement written in a box?
A. A classified advertisement is supposed to be written in a box.
Q. What is the format of classified advertisement?
A. It has two important parts:
- Content or Body
The heading should be written in capitals and the body should include all the necessary information as per the demand of the category. Writing full sentences and using helping verbs should be avoided.
It should be brief and to the point.
Q.In how many words should one write a classified advertisement?
A, A classified advertisement should be written in around 50 words only.