CBSE Class 11 English Hornbill book Chapter 1 “The Portrait of a Lady” Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) with Answers
Here is a compilation of Free MCQs of Class 11 English Hornbill book Chapter 1– The Portrait of a Lady. Students can practice free MCQs as have been added by CBSE in the new Exam pattern. At the end of Multiple Choice Questions, the answer key has also been provided for your reference.
1. Who is the author of ‘The Portrait of a Lady’?
A. Ruskin Bond
B. Kushwant Singh
D. Vikram Bhatt
2. Who is the main character of the chapter ‘The Portrait of a Lady’?
3. How did the grandfather in the portrait hung on the wall look like?
A. Old, long white beard, worn big turban
B. Old, skinny, wrinkly
C. Young, Handsome, Well-Built
D. Old, Well-Built
4. How did the grandmother look?
A. Old, Fat, Long
B. Long, Fat, Slightly Bent
C. Old, Short, Slightly Bent, Fat
D. Slightly Bent, Fat
5. When did the author’s parents leave him with his grandmother?
A. When he was a kid
B. When he was an infant
C. When he became a teenager
D. When he failed and became a teenager
6. Which animal did the grandmother used to feed in the village?
7. What did the author eat for breakfast?
A. thick and stale chapatis with a little butter and sugar spread in it
B. thick bread with butter
D. rice and curd
8. Why would grandmother accompany the author to his school?
A. to keep an eye on him
B. to wait for him to take him back to home
C. because of the temple attached to school
D. she wanted to meet villagers
9. Where were the parents of the author?
C. Other Village
D. Other state
10. What would the grandmother do in the temple on a daily basis?
B. Read Scriptures
C. Sing religious prayers
D. teach other kids religious prayers
Class 11 Important Links
|Class 11th English Hornbill and Snapshots Lessons Explanation, Question Answers||Class 11 English Hornbill Book Poems|
|Class 11 English Snapshots Book Lessons Explanation||Class 11th English Hornbill and Snapshots Book MCQs|
|Take Free MCQ Test English|
11. What was the turning point of the friendship between grandmother and author?
A. When he became an adult
B. When his parents called them both to the city
C. When he left her to live in the city with his parents
D. When they stopped talking
12. Where did the author go to study in the city?
A. English School in motorbus
B. by walking down to nearby school
C. Hindi School
13. What made the grandmother unhappy about the author’s new English School?
A. the fact that she could no longer help him with the lessons
B. Because they were in city
C. Because she didn’t understand English
D. Because she didn’t understand English and could no longer help him with the lessons
14. Why didn’t the grandmother like music?
A. It was the monopoly of harlots and beggars and not meant for gentlefolk
B. She liked only religious prayers
C. She liked the traditional folk music
D. She thought it would distract him from studies
15. How did the grandmother spend her time in the city?
A. feedings dogs
B. reading scriptures
C. spinning the wheel
D. talking to neighbours
16. How did the grandmother spend her afternoon everyday?
A. by feeding hundred of sparrows
B. by taking a nap
C. by talking to author’s mother
D. by going to temple
17. What happened when the author moved abroad to study for five years?
A. grandmother bid goodbye by silently kissing his forehead
B. No one came to see him
C. Grandmother moved back to village
D. Parents moved with him
18. What change came in the grandmother’s evening schedule?
A. She collected the women of the neighborhood
B. She would go for a walk
C. She would sleep early
D. She would talk to his parents
19. What happened when the grandmother didn’t pray for the first time?
A. She fell ill the next day
B. She made this her routine
C. She took a break and went to the village
D. None of the above
20. How did the grandmother react to her illness?
A. She said her end was near
B. She ignored her health
C. She took care of her
D. She was admitted to the hospital
21. What did the grandmother do in her final hours?
A. Talked to everyone in the house
B. worried about everyone
C. Silently praying and telling her beads
D. Went to the temple
22. How did the grandmother die?
A. during telling beads laying on the bed
B. In the hospital
C. While sleeping
D. None of the above
23. How did the sparrows express their sorrow at the death of their grandmother?
A. They didn’t come that day
B. they came and sat silently in the verandah
C.They ate the bread crumbs
D. they chirruped a lot
24. What happened when they took the grandmother’s corpse away?
A. Neighbours visited them to pay condolences
B. they mourned her death in her room
C. birds flew away quietly
D. Nothing happened
25. How do you feel about the character of the grandmother in the chapter?
26. Where was the author’s grandfather’s portrait placed?
A. on a shelf
B. hung above the mantelpiece
C. put on the mantelpiece
D. on a table
27. Did the author bother to learn the morning prayers that his grandmother recited?
B. he listened but did not bother to learn
C. he could not learn
28. When was their common link of friendship snapped?
A. when he went to college
B. When he went to the university, they were given seperate rooms
C. when he started working
D. When he went abroad
29. What was grandmother’s reaction when the author was going abroad?
C. not even sentimental
30. What was her reaction when he came back after 5 years?
B. clasped the author in her arms and said prayers
Answer key for Class 11 English Hornbill Book Chapter 1 – The Portrait of a Lady
|Q. No.||Answer||Q. No.||Answer||Q. No.||Answer|
Important Videos Links
|Class 11 Important Questions Videos||Class 11 English Hornbill and Snapshots Book MCQs Video|
|Class 11 Snapshots Book Chapter wise Explanation||Class 11 Hornbill Book Chapter wise Explanation|
Also See :
- MCQs for Chapter 2 “We are not afraid to die if we all can be together” Class 11 English Hornbill book
- MCQs for Chapter 3 “Discovering Tut: the Saga Continues” Class 11 English Hornbill book
- MCQs for Chapter 4 “Landscape of the Soul” Class 11 English Hornbill book
- MCQs for Chapter 5 “The Ailing Planet: the Green Movement’s Role” Class 11 English Hornbill book
- CBSE Class 11 English Hornbill and Snapshots Books MCQ Questions
- Class 11th English Lessons
- English Writing Skills
- English Grammar Lessons