NCERT Solutions for Class 11 English Hornbill Book Chapter 1 The Portrait of A Lady Important Questions and Value Points
Here are the The Portrait of A Lady important questions of 2 and 5 Marks for CBSE Class 11 English Hornbill Book Chapter 1. The important questions we have compiled will help the students to brush up on their knowledge about the subject. Students can practice Class 11 English important questions to understand the subject better and improve their performance in the board exam. The solutions provided here will also give students an idea about how to write the answers. Take Free Online MCQ Test for Class 11
The Portrait of A Lady Important Question for CBSE Class 11 English Hornbill Book Chapter 1
See Video of The Portrait of A Lady Important Questions
|2 Mark Questions|
5 Mark Questions
Class 11 English Important Links
- Class 11 Hornbill and Snapshots Book Lesson Explanation
- MCQs for Class 11 English Hornbill and Snapshots Book
Class 11 English The Portrait of A Lady 2 Marks important Question (30-40 words)
1. Why was the author’s grandmother disturbed when he started going to the city school?
- western science – didn’t teach about god or scriptures
- English medium – gave music lessons
- couldn’t help in HW. – music meant for beggars etc.
2. What were the three ways in which the author’s grandmother spent her days when he grew up?
- rarely left her spinning wheel, talked less
- continuously recited prayers while spinning
- fed sparrows in afternoon, spreading pieces of bread in verandah
3. What happened to the grandmother the next day of the author’s coming back?
- fell ill, family thought to be a mild fever
- Knew her end was near
- stopped talking
- continuously prayed till passed away
4. What was the biggest surprise for the family when they prepared her for cremation?
- amazed to see thousands of sparrows
- sitting scattered near the dead body
- silent, no chirping
- didn’t eat breadcrumbs offered
Class 11 Important Links
|Class 11th English Hornbill and Snapshots Lessons Explanation, Question Answers|
Class 11 English The Portrait of A Lady 2 Marks important Question (120 – 0-150 words)
1. What were the three phases of the author’s relationship with his grandmother before he left the country to study abroad?
- Early Childhood: Grandmother took care, woke him up, accompanied to school, shared a good bond
- Shifted to City: Shared same room, turning point, saw less of each other
- Joined University: Author given separate room, common link of friendship snapped, grandmother turned to wheel spinning, reciting prayers, accepted seclusion with silence
2. The author’s grandmother was a religious person. What are the different ways in which we come to know this?
- always recited inaudible prayers while moved the beads of rosary
- said morning prayer while she bathed and dresses grandson,
- while author studied she read scripture in a temple attached to school
- didn’t show any emotion on station, lips moved in prayers
- did same on his return and till her death
3. Would you agree that the author’s grandmother was a person strong in character? If yes, give instances that show this?
- had strong religious beliefs, prayed all the time, didn’t like English school, had strong likes and dislikes, hated music and western ideas, accepted breaking of close ties, didn’t react but turned to wheel spinning,
- didn’t show any emotion on station, greeted and celebrated his homecoming, kind hearted fed dogs in village and sparrows in city, was a woman of principles
Class 11 English Videos Links
- Class 11 English Important Questions
- Class 11 English MCQs
- Class 11 English Hornbill Book Lesson Explanation Videos