Sikkim University announces Admission to PhD Program for Session 2023-24, Apply now
Sikkim University PhD Admission 2023-24 – Sikkim University Gangtok invites applications for admission to PhD programmes for the academic session 2023-24.
Sikkim University PhD Admission 2023
- List of Departments with Number of Seats
- Anthropology – 05
- Bhutia – On Hold
- Botany – 01
- Chemistry – 16
- Chinese – No vacancy
- Commerce – 04
- Computer Applications – 05
- Economics – 07
- Education – 04
- English – 04
- Geography – 05
- Geology – 02
- Hindi – No vacancy
- History – 02
- Horticulture – 03
- International Relations – 02
- Law – 10
- Lepcha – On Hold
- Limbu – On Hold
- Management – 05
- Mass Communication – 02
- Mathematics – 01
- Microbiology – 07
- Music – 05
- Nepali – 04
- Peace and Conflict Studies and Management – 04
- Physics – 05
- Political Science – No vacancy
- Psychology – 02
- Sociology – 01
- Tourism – 02
- Zoology – 03
- Publication of Admission Notice: 25 April 2023
- Start of Submission of online applications: 28 April 2023
- Last Date for Submission of online applications: 27 May 2023
- Data arrangement by System Management: 29 May-01 June 2023
- Scrutiny of online applications: 05-07 June 2023
- Uploading of list of eligible PhD candidates: 09 June 2023
- Date of written test (offline): 15-16 June 2023
- Date of interview (offline): 18-19 June 2023
- Declaration of 1st list of selected candidates: 23 June 2023
- Fee payment by selected candidates (1st list) including Hostel Admission fee (online mode): 24-27 June 2023
- Uploading of 2nd list for admission against vacant seats: 28 June 2023
- Admission of selected candidates (2nd list) and Hostel Admission: 29-30 June 2023
- Commencement of Odd Semester: 07 August, 2023
- A candidate with 2 yrs master’s degree in relevant / allied subjects or M.Phil degree with at least 55% marks / equivalent grade for General and 50% marks / equivalent grade for SC, ST and OBC (Central List)/DA/EWS or equivalent examination from a foreign educational institute accredited by approved agency in its home country are eligible to apply for Ph.D programme.
- Candidates who have appeared or appearing in the qualifying examination may also apply and appear in the written examination, and if qualified, may also appear in the interview. However, the provisional admission of such applicants shall be confirmed only after obtaining the required percentage of marks / CGPA in the qualifying examination.
- For more detailed eligibility criteria refer to prospectus.
- Candidates have to fill online application available at official website of Sikkim University
- A Candidate may apply for admission in maximum three Ph.D subjects / department provided that s/he fulfills minimum eligibility conditions for admission. Such candidates may apply separately for each programme and pay application fee separately. The application fee once paid will not be refunded.
- Read instructions given there carefully before filling the application form.
- For General/OBC/EWS – Rs. 1000/-
- ST/SC/PWD – Rs. 500/-
- Payment Method – online
- Written examination and interview are compulsory for admission to Ph.D programme.
- Candidates who have qualified in UGC- NET / UGC-CSIR-NET/ GATE / CEED and any other similar National Level Tests are exempted from the written examination and will be provided the highest marks obtained by a candidate in the written examinations for the purpose of preparation of a merit list of eligible candidates for interview. It may be noted that Interview is compulsory for all applicants for Ph.D programme.
- The entrance examination for Ph.D shall be conducted out of a total of 100 marks, of which 70 marks shall be allotted for written examination and 30 marks for the interview. The final merit list shall be prepared by taking the marks obtained in both written and interview
- Candidates who have secured 50% in the entrance test (45% for SC/ST/OBC (non creamy)/ DA/EWS or any other category as may be notified by the Government of India from time to time) are eligible to be called for the interview.
- The concerned department may decide the number of eligible candidates to be called for the interview based on the merit list and number of Ph.D seats available.
- A consolidated list of qualified candidates in written examination and exempted candidates shall be prepared for the interview. Interview shall focus upon research interest of the candidate and contribution to additional / new knowledge.
PhD Written Test Schedule
15th June 023
Group ‘A’ (10:00 am – 12:00 am)
Anthropology, Botany, Chemistry, Commerce, Economics, Computer Applications, Education, PCS&M
15th June 2023
Group ‘B’ (1:00 pm -3:00 pm)
English, Geography, Geology, Horticulture, IR, Law, Management, Sociology, Mass Communication
16th June 2023
Group ‘C’ (10:00 am – 12:00 am)
Mathematics., History, Microbiology, Music, Nepali, Physics, Psychology, Zoology, Tourism,
- The syllabus of the written examination consists of
- 50 % research methodology
- 50 % subject specific
For more details and to apply online, please visit the official website
- Top PhD Entrance Exams in India
- PhD Admission and Entrance Exam Notifications 2023
- Admission Notification and Dates 2023