IIT JAM 2024 Exam Pattern
- The JAM 2024 Examination for all the seven Test Papers will be a Computer Based Test (CBT) where the candidates will be shown the questions in a random sequence on a computer screen.
- For all the seven Test Papers, the duration of the examination will be of 3 hours*.
- The medium for all the Test Papers will be English only.
- There will be a total of 60 questions carrying a total of 100 marks.
- The entire paper will be divided into three sections A, B and C.
- All sections are compulsory.
- Questions in each section will be of different types as given below:
- Section – A contains a total of 30 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) involving 10 questions of one mark each and 20 questions of two marks each. Each MCQ has four choices out of which only one choice is the correct answer. Candidates can mark the answer by clicking the choice.
- Section – B contains a total of 10 Multiple Select Questions (MSQs) carrying two marks each. Each MSQ is similar to MCQ but with the difference that MSQ may have one or more than one correct choice(s) out of the four given choices. The candidate gets full credit only if he/she selects all the correct answer(s) and no wrong answers. Candidates can mark the answer(s) by clicking the choice(s).
- Section – C contains a total of 20 Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions involving 10 questions of one mark each and 10 questions of two marks each. For these NAT type questions, the answer is a signed real number, which needs to be entered using the virtual numeric keypad on the monitor. No choices will be shown for NAT questions.
- In all sections, questions not attempted will result in zero marks.
- In Section – A (MCQ), wrong answers will result in negative marks. For each wrong answer to 1-mark questions, 1/3 mark will be deducted and similarly for each wrong answer to 2-mark questions, 2/3 mark will be deducted.
- In Section – B (MSQ), there are no negative and no partial marking provisions. There is no negative marking in Section – C (NAT) as well.
Check out :