IIT Madras announces Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE) 2022, Apply now
HSEE 2022 – Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has invited applications for admission to the five-year Integrated Master of Arts (M.A.) Program conducted with an interdisciplinary perspective by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, during 2022-23 academic year through Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE) 2022.
The Program is designed to meet the needs of students who seek a broader learning forum and who appreciate the unique design of interdisciplinary studies. The program encourages students to engage in critical thinking and research on ideas, people, society, environment and the human condition
About HSEE 2022
- The Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination or HSEE is a national level entrance test conducted every year by Indian Institute of Technology Madras for admission to the master programme offered by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) of the institute. HSEE (Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination) is for admission to the five-year integrated Master of Arts (M.A.) Program at IIT Madras for admission in Integrated MA.
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras is an institute of national importance which offers quality education in Humanities, Sciences, Engineering, Management and Technology at UG / PG level. The Program draws its strength from the unique mix of streams.
- Integrated M.A. in Development Studies
- Integrated M.A. in English Studies
IIT Madras HSEE Dates 2022
- Last Date for submission of online application: June 05, 2022
- For payment made by Option A: June 05, 2022
- For payment made by Option B (step -2 must have been completed by June 05, 2022): June 06, 2022
- Application Status can be checked from the HSEE website by candidates: June 20, 2022 to June 24, 2022
- Admit Card can be Downloaded from the HSEE Website by candidates: July 13, to July 31, 2022
- Examination Date for HSEE-2022: July 31, 2022 [14:00-17:00 IST]
- Copy of candidate responses for Paper I to be available on the HSEE – 2022 website: August 08, 2022 to August 10, 2022, 05:00 PM
- Online display of provisional answer keys for Paper I: August 11, 2022
- Declaration of Result on HSEE Website: August 17, 2022
- Candidate registration/choice filling for stream in integrated M.A.: August 18, 2022 to August 22, 2022, 05:00 PM
- Seat Allocation for successful candidates will be available at the HSEE website from: August 25, 2022
IIT Madras HSEE Eligibility Criteria 2022
- Candidates who are NOT citizens of India at the time of registering for HSEE-2022 (by birth or naturalized) are treated as foreign nationals.
- Candidates applying for HSEE-2022 must have passed any one of the following qualifying examinations for the first time in 2021 or should be appearing in 2022.
- The final examination of 10+2 system, conducted by a Central or State Board recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (www.aiuweb.org)
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a Board or University recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defense Academy. Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School Board or University examination in India or in a foreign country is recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Candidates who have completed Class XII (or equivalent) examination outside India or from a Board not specified above should produce a certificate from the Association of Indian.
Percentage of Marks in Qualifying Exam
- Candidates belonging to the General, GEN-EWS and OBC-NCL category must secure a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination. Candidates belonging to SC, ST and PwD categories must secure a minimum of 55% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination.
- Candidates whose date of birth falls on or after October 01, 1997 are eligible for HSEE 2022.
- However, in the case of SC, ST and PwD candidates, the upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years, i.e., candidates belonging to SC, ST, and PwD and born on or after October 01, 1992 are eligible.
- Every qualified candidate will have to submit a Physical Fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the prescribed format that will be made available along with the letter of offer of admission.
IIT Madras HSEE Application Process 2022
- Eligible candidates can apply online mode only through University Website https://hsee.iitm.ac.in
- Application for HSEE-2022 is only through online mode. The procedure is given below. Candidate needs access to a computer with an Internet connection and a printer.
Step 1 – Online Registration
- Log on to the site http://hsee.iitm.ac.in and select from the menu “Apply Online” and follow the instructions on the site. Enter all the data as per the instructions. The site will prompt you to save the data on the system when necessary.
Step 2 – Fill All Details
- Upload scanned (a) Photograph, (b) Signatures and (c) Supporting Documents:
- Photograph – The scanned image of a photograph should be in jpg/jpeg format only. The size of the photo image must be greater than 15 kb and less than 40 kb and the dimension of the photo image should be 3.5 cm (width) x 4.5cm (height) only.
- Signatures – The scanned images of signature should be in jpg/jpeg format only. The size of the signature image must be greater than 10 kb and less than 30 kb and the dimension of the signature image should be 3.5 cm (length) x 1.5 (height) only.
- Supporting Documents – Scanned images of 10th Certificate/10+2 certificate (if available)/Date of Birth Certificate/GEN-EWS-Undertaking/OBC-NCL-Undertaking/SC/ST/PwD category certificate (if applicable) should be in jpg/jpeg format only. After successfully entering the data, click the ‘finalize’ button. After this, the details cannot be edited.
Step 3 – Payment
- The candidate has to select the option to pay the application fee and follow the online instructions to complete the payment.
- After successful payment, the candidate will be able to print the acknowledgement page.
- For General & other candidates – Rs. 2400/-
- For SC, ST, PwD candidates – Rs. 1200/-
- Additionally, the service charges of the Bank – Rs.40/-
Mode of Payment
- Online through Debit/Credit Card & Net Banking/ Indian Bank Challan
IIT Madras HSEE Admit Card 2022
- The candidates have to download the admit card from the website. After successful registration and payment of required fees either through the bank challan or through net- banking/credit-card/debit-card, the candidates can download their admit card for HSEE-2022 from 30th May 2022 to 12th June 2022 at the HSEE-2022 website.
- The admit card will bear the name, photograph, date of birth, address and category of the candidate along with name and the address of the examination centre allotted
Admission Mode and Intake
- Admission is solely through Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE).
- The programme has a total of 58 seats; each stream will have 29 seats. Allocations of seats to individual streams will be made based on the academic performance of students (CGPA) during the first three semesters, students’ preferences, and availability of seats under each discipline.
IIT Madras HSEE Exam Pattern 2022
- Exam Mode: Offline mode (pen and paper)
- Language of Question Paper: English
- Question paper Part: HSEE-2022 is of three hours duration and has two parts
- Duration: 2½ hours duration (150 minutes)
- Questions Type: Multiple-Choice Questions (MCQ)
- Marking Scheme: Each correct answer will consist of 1 mark.
- Negative Marking: Negative marks may be awarded for incorrect answers in Part I
IIT Madras HSEE Syllabus 2022
- HSEE-2022 has two parts: Part I and Part II.
- Part I : Syllabus for Part I covers the following topics: (i) English and Comprehension Skill; (ii) Analytical and Quantitative Ability; (iii) General Studies covering the areas of Indian Economy, Indian Society and Culture, World Affairs ; and (iv) Environment and Ecology.
- Part II: Syllabus for Part II requires the candidates to write an essay on a general topic involving description, or/and reflection or/and discussion.
- The entrance examination will be conducted in the following – Ahmedabad; Coimbatore; Bhubaneswar; Bengaluru; New Delhi; Chennai; Hyderabad; Mumbai & Guwahati; Lucknow; Kolkata; Indore; Kochi; Thiruvananthapuram; Jammu and Patna
- A candidate has to give two choices for the exam centre
For more information and to apply online, visit the university website