National Institute of Technology (NIT) Kurukshetra announces PhD Admission 2019-20 (Odd Semesters)
NIT Kurukshetra PhD Admission 2019 – Applications on the prescribed format are invited from Indian and Foreign nationals for admission to Ph.D. Programs (Full Time/Part Time) in the Departments/Schools of Engineering, Sciences, Social Sciences, Computer Application and Business Administration for the current academic session 2019-20 (odd semester)
Interested and eligible candidates can read the necessary information regarding NIT Kurukshetra PhD Admission 2019 such as application form eligibility criteria, fee details, selection process etc. on this page.
See: PHD Admissions
About NIT Kurukshetra
- The National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra (NITK), formerly a Regional Engineering College, was conferred the deemed university status on 26.6.2002, and declared an “Institute of National Importance”, on 15.08.2007. The Institute is now fully and directly funded by Central Govt. through the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- The Institute undertakes sponsored research and development projects from various industrial and other organizations in public and private sectors.
- The Institute encourages research in interdisciplinary areas also, and provides opportunities for such research program
See: PhD in Computer Science Admission
Important Dates for NIT Kurukshetra PhD Admission 2019
- Last date for submission of application form: 03rd June 2019
PhD Programs Specializations
PhD Programs are offered by the following departments / Schools in the related areas of specializations:
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Computer Engineering**
- Department of Mechanical Engineering*
- Department of Physics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Department of Mathematics
- School of VLSI Design and Embedded Systems
- School of Renewable Energy and Exigency
- School of Materials Science and Technology
- School of Biomedical Engineering
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Computer Application
- Includes Production and Industrial Engineering
- ** Includes Information Technology
See: PhD in Business Administration
Eligibility Criteria for NIT Kurukshetra PhD Admission 2019
- An applicant possessing the prescribed qualifications shall be eligible for admission to a Ph.D. program of the institute. Degrees obtained through distance education programs shall not be considered. The course as well as University of qualifying degree must be recognized by AICTE & UGC and will be varied by Academic Section before registration.
- In order to encourage the candidates for interdisciplinary research which is the state of art in today’s scenario, the eligibility criteria for Ph.D. is as below:
- Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology/Sciences/Mathematics/ Humanities and Social sciences in respective discipline or equivalent with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 6.5 on a 10-point scale or equivalent as determined by the Institute wherever letter grades are awarded; or 60% marks in aggregate where marks are awarded. OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology with a minimum of 70% marks in aggregate or equivalent CGPA and a minimum of 10 years of work experience (at the level of Assistant Professor or equivalent) in an engineering degree level technical Institute or R&D organization/industry, and Evidence of Master’s level R&D work completed.
Additional Eligibility Conditions for Part-Time PhD Admission
- The applicant should be a regular faculty / employee in the sponsoring institute / organization and must have completed on the last day of receiving applications, a minimum of one year of service after obtaining Master’s degree at the level of Assistant Professor or equivalent in the sponsoring engineering degree level technical institute or R & D organization / industry
- The applicants, who are employed in an NIT on a regular / contract (including the project staff) for three years or more, are exempted from the above condition
- The candidate should satisfy the DRC that his social duties permit him to devote scuffing time to research
- He is required to visit NITK to discuss the research work with his supervisor in the Department. He may visit any number of times; but; must visit at least twice in each semester at intervals of not less than a month. All such visits shall be reported to the Chairman of the DRC for record Eligibility for Institute Scholarship#
- Only full-time Ph.D. research scholars are eligible for the award of the Institute scholarship
- A candidate/scholar is required to apply for scholarship through the supervisor and concerned Chairman, DRC. In a particular department, scholarships will be awarded only if these are available in that department
- The eligibility for scholarship & its amount will be as per the guidelines issued from time to time by the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Govt. of India. and / or funding agency
- Those who are awarded scholarship / fellowship or equivalent from any other source will not be eligible for the institute scholarship
- Support for doctoral program by the MHRD would be termed as Research /Teaching Assistantship. Only GATE/NET qualified candidates are eligible.
- All scholars getting Research / Teaching Assistantship would be required to put in atleast eight hours of research or teaching assigned to him in the institute
- A Ph.D. research scholar receiving institute scholarship will receive it for a duration of two years, which may be expandable to 3rd year if the research scholar has published at least one research paper before the start of 3rd year and can be extended / resumed in 4th year if the research scholar has published at least two / one research papers respectively before the start of 4th year. These research papers should be published from his research work in non-paid peer reviewed SCI/SCIE/Scopus/Web of Science Journals
- The scholars receiving scholarship from external Govt/Autonomous organizations shall be governed by the rule and regulations issued and amended by the respective Govt./Autonomous organizations
- Fifteen percent (15%) scholarships (of the total sanctioned Institutional scholarships) shall be reserved for Scheduled Caste applicants and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe applicants. A total of 3% scholarships, over and above the sanctioned strength, will be reserved for persons with disabilities (PwD) in all the Ph.D. programs of the Institute put together
- For the SC / ST / PwD applicants, the eligibility requirement of marks be relaxed by 5%, or by a CGPA of 0.5 (on a 10-point scale) at both the Bachelor’s and Master’s level
See: Top PhD Entrance Exams in India
NIT Kurukshetra PhD Admission 2019 Application Form
- Application format can be downloaded from the Institute website www.nitkkr.ac.in under Academic >Admission->Ph.D.
- The duly completed PhD applications should be sent to the Registrar, National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra-136119 (Haryana) latest by 03rd June 2019 before 05.00 pm