Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay announces Admission to PhD Program 2019 (Spring Semester)
IIT Bombay PhD Admission 2019 – Indian institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay invites applications for admission to the PhD programs for the spring semester of the academic year 2019-21.
- The IIT Bombay is one of the higher Institutes of Technology in the country set up with the objectives of making available facilities for higher education, research and training in various fields of Science and Technology
- The Institute was established in 1958. It is located at Powai in a campus extending over 220 hectares amidst picturesque surroundings with Viharand Powai lakes on either side
See: PHD Admission
- With extensive infrastructural facilities and a sound research base, the Institute offers PhD Program in a wide range of areas in Eng., Sciences and Humanities & Social Sciences. The broad objectives of the PhD Program are to contribute to expanding the frontiers of knowledge and to provide research training
- Facilities for research work leading to the PhD Degree are available in the depts. of Aerospace Eng., Biosciences &Bio Eng., Chemical Eng., Chemistry, Civil Eng.,Climate Studies, Computer Sci. & Eng., Earth Sciences, Electrical Eng., Energy Science & Eng., Humanities and Social Sciences, Mathematics, Mechanical Eng., Metallurgical Eng.& Materials Science,Physics,Industrial Design Centre,Centre for Environmental Science & Eng., Centre of Studies in Resources Eng., , Industrial Engineering & operation research, Metallurgical Engineering and Materials science.
Important Dates for IIT Bombay PhD Admission 2019
- Advertisement (on IITB website): 03rd September 2019
- Availability of application form: 03rd September 2019
- Last date for submission of completed application forms for spring semester: 15th October 2019
- Last date for department to send the list of candidates for written test/ interview: 22nd October 2019
- To display the list of candidates called for Entrance Test and / or interview. 25th October 2019
See: Top PhD Entrance Exams in India
Date of Entrance Test and / or Interview (for all categories)
- Aerospace Engineering (AE): 4th Dec. 2019 (Written test), 5th Dec. 2019 (Interview)
- Biosciences and Bioengineering (BB): 4th Dec. 2019 (Written test), 5th and 6th Dec. 2019 (Interview)
- Chemical Engineering: 4th and 5th December 2019
- Chemistry: 4th, 5th and 6th December 2019 (interview)
- Climate Studies (CM): 5th December 2019 (Written test/ Interview)
- Computer Science and Engineering: 4th December 2019 (Written test), 5th December 2019 (interview)
For further details on exam date visit the official website
Eligibility Criteria for IIT Bombay PhD Admission 2019
- Master’s Degree in Eng./Technology or equivalent degree, with First class or 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST)
- Bachelor’s degree in Eng./Technology with First class or 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST)
- Master’s degree in Science or equivalent degree, with First class or 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST)
- Master’s degree in Arts/Commerce or equivalent degree with a minimum of 55% marks (50% for SC/ST), only for admission to the PhD Programs offered by the Industrial Design Centre and Dept. of Humanities & Social Sciences.
Such candidates must also full ONE of the following additional requirements:
- Valid GATE/CEED Score
- Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) of CSIR/UGC/NBHM/DBT or DST INSPIRE Fellowship
- Candidates having UGC NET Lectureship (LS) are also eligible for Teaching Assistantship in addition to other academic qualifications in Humanities & Social Sciences Dept.
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience (acquired after obtaining the qualifying degree and completed before the starting of the semester in which admission is sought)
- In addition to the general eligibility criterion, the applicant must satisfy the eligibility criteria specified for the respective Depts./Centres/Schools /Interdisciplinary Groups and the eligibility criteria for admission with different types of financial support
Admission for IIT B.Tech. Degree Holders:
- Candidate having a B.Tech. Degree from IITs and having a CGPA/CPI score of 8.00(on 010scale) and above are exempted from requirement of GATE qualification
- They may be admitted to M.Tech Program under TA/RA positions through written test and/or interview
See: Latest Entrance Exams
- Admission is offered on the basis of an interview held usually a month before the commencement of the semester for which admission is sought
- The interview may be supplemented by a written test, if necessary. Merely satisfying the general eligibility criterion as well as criterion set for each admission category is no guarantee for being called for test/interview
- Candidates called for the written Test/Interview under Teaching Assistantship (TA) category, only candidates belonging to SC/ST & PwD categories will be paid single second class return railway fare by the shortest route (as per rules) from their place of residence to the Institute
IIT Bombay PhD Admission 2019 Application Process
- Candidates are required to submit the application ONLINE. No Downloadable Forms will be available. After filling the form, you are advised to take a print of your application and keep the same for the record.
- The application fee is as follows,
- Women candidates: Rs. 150/
- SC/ST/PwD category candidates: Rs. 150/
- All other candidates: Rs. 300/
- The fee is to be paid by SBI Internet Banking/ Online Payment System and you do not have to submit the printed copy of the application. Applications without online payment details will not be considered.
Indian Institute of Technology
Main gate Rd, IIT Area, Powai, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400076