Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) Kolkata announces Admission to PhD Program 2023
IISER Kolkata PhD Admission 2023 – Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Kolkata invites applications from motivated students for admission to the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Programs for the academic session 2023 (Autumn Semester)
IISER Kolkata PhD Admission 2023
- Biological Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Computational and Data Sciences (CDS)
- Earth Sciences
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Physical Sciences
- Space Sciences
- PhD application portal opens: 19.03.2023
- Application portal closes: 23.04.2023
- Publication of shortlist for Written test/Interview: 01.05.2023
- Selection Interview window: May 23 – May 31, 2023
- Last day of Publication of PhD interview results: 16.06.2023
- Pre-registration portal opens: 19.06.2023
- Pre-registration deadline: 26.07.2023
- PhD Registration: 28.07.2023
For Biological Sciences
- M.Sc/MS/ME/M.Tech/MVSc/MSc(Ag) degree or equivalent (with minimum 55% marks) in:
- Any branch of biological sciences to pursue research in the broad fields of Cellular and Molecular biology, Cancer biology, Developmental biology, Structural biology, Chemical biology, Plant biology, Plant molecular and developmental biology, Plant genetics, Plant tissue culture, Behavioral biology and Ecology, Genetics, Marine biology, Neurobiology, Biodiversity, Microbiology, Biophysics, Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Food technology, Physiology, Human Physiology, Medical Biotechnology and theoretical biology, Epigenetics and Chromatin Biology.
- Candidates from agricultural science (such as genetics and plant breeding) and nutritional science backgrounds are also encouraged to apply.
For Chemical Sciences
- Bright and motivated candidates who have passed M.Sc. examination with minimum 55% marks in any field of Chemistry or Physics.
- Besides satisfying minimal eligibility criteria, the candidates must have CSIR/UGC-NET JRF, INSPIRE fellowship or other equivalent fellowships.
For Computational and Data Sciences
- Bright and motivated candidates with a Master’s degree with minimum 55% marks or CGPA/CPI of 6.5 on a 10-point scale in any field of Computer Science. Besides satisfying minimal eligibility criteria, the candidates are expected to have CSIR/UGC-NET JRF, INSPIRE fellowship or other equivalent fellowships.
- However, for exceptional candidates without any external funding, there is a provision for one Institute-funded position. To be eligible for the Institute-funded position, the candidate must have qualified at least one national level exam — UGC NET (LS) or GATE (cut-off to be decided later by the department) and must have a minimum of 55% marks or CGPA/CPI of 6.5 on a 10-point scale in the Master’s degree in any field of Computer Science.
For Earth Sciences
- M.Sc./MS/M.Sc. Tech/M. Tech (with a minimum of 55% marks) in:
- Geology/Applied Geology/Geophysics /Earth Sciences/Marine Geology/Environmental Sciences/Environmental Studies/Atmospheric Science/Environmental Engineering/Civil Engineering or any other branch of Geological sciences.
- Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics/Biological Sciences/Computational Seismology/interested to pursue research with the DES faculty member in the matching specialization.
- Final year post-graduate students who are yet to obtain their degree may also apply; however, they must have completed their degree at the time of admission.
- Candidates having valid CSIR NET JRF / UGC-NET JRF / DST-INSPIRE / other equivalent fellowship would be eligible to apply.
For Humanities and Social Sciences
- A Master’s degree in Economics or any other subject with a minimum of 55% marks or CGPA/CPI of 6.5 on a 10-point scale. Non-economics candidates must have mathematics/statistics as a subject at undergraduate level.
- Candidates having their own valid Ph.D. fellowship (UGC/CSIR-NET JRF or any other equivalent fellowship) are strongly encouraged to apply. Few Institute fellowships might be available for deserving candidates who do not have fellowship provided that they have qualified for any national level entrance exam such as NET (apart from satisfying minimal eligibility criteria).
For Physical Sciences
- Masters degree with at least 60% aggregate marks in any field of Physical Sciences for the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) program
- Final year post-graduate students who are yet to obtain their degree may also apply; however, they must complete the MSc/MS degree at the time of admission with the requisite 60% aggregate marks.
For Mathematics & Statistics
- Commutative Algebra, Harmonic Analysis, Number Theory, Representation Theory, and Spectral Graph Theory: A Master’s degree in Mathematics with a minimum of 55% marks or CGPA/CPI of 6.5 on a 10-point scale.
- Bayesian Statistics: A Master’s degree in Statistics with a minimum of 55% marks or CGPA/CPI of 6.5 on a 10-point scale.
- Computational Biology: A Master’s degree, with minimum 55% marks or CGPA/CPI of 6.5 on a 10-point scale, in any field of Applied Mathematics, Applied Statistics, Biotechnology, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, and Statistics, Physics.
- Non-parametric Statistics & Functional Data Analysis: A Master’s degree in Mathematics or Statistics with a minimum of 55% marks or CGPA/CPI of 6.5 on a 10-point scale.
- Eligible Candidates can apply online through the official website https://apply.iiserkol.ac.in
- The candidates are desirous to seek admission to be required to apply online. Only those applicants, who apply online before the last date and satisfy the eligibility criteria, will be considered for admission. Please read the department-wise eligibility criteria carefully, available on the website.
- The applicants should open the link (http://apply.iiserkol.ac.in/application) and properly fill the application form as instructed. The form can be opened and edited/corrected until the last date.
- Shortlisted candidates (based on merit, subject specialization and required research area) for interview will be published on the IISER-Kolkata website.
- The Institute will not provide any TA/DA or accommodation for attending the interview.
- The selected candidates will receive the offer letter containing also the last date for joining shortly after the interview.
For more details and to apply online, please visit the official website