IIT Madras Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE) 2020
IIT Madras announces Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE) 2020
IIT Madras HSEE 2020 - Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras, has invited applications for admission to the five-year Integrated Master of Arts (M.A.) Program conducted with an interdisciplinary perspective by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, during 2020-21 academic year through Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE) 2020.
The Program is designed to meet the needs of students who seek a broader learning forum and who appreciate the unique design of interdisciplinary studies. The program encourages students to engage in critical thinking and research on ideas, people, society, environment and the human condition
About IIT Madras HSEE 2020
- HSEE (Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination) is for admission to the five-year integrated Master of Arts (M.A.) Program at IIT Madras for admission in Integrated MA
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras is an institute of national importance which offers quality education in Humanities, Sciences, Engineering, Management and Technology at UG / PG level
- The Program draws its strength from the unique mix of streams
- HSEE 2020 for admission into the following two courses:
- Integrated M.A. in Development Studies
- Integrated M.A. in English Studies
IIT Madras HSEE 2020 Important Dates
- Online Application and Payment of Examination Fee - Starts
- Payment Option A: Net Banking / Credit Card / Debit Card – Starts
- Payment Option B:
- Indian Bank Challan – Starts: 11th December 2019
- Last Date for submission of online application: 22nd January 2020
- For payment made by Option A – Ends: 22nd January 2020
- For payment made by Option B (step -2 must have been completed by January 22, 2020) – Ends: 23rd January 2020
- Application Status can be Checked from the HSEE website by Candidates – Starts: 17th February 2020
- Application Status can be Checked from the HSEE website by Candidates – Ends: 06th March 2020
- Admit Card can be Downloaded from the HSEE Website by Candidates – Starts: 18th March 2020
- Admit card can be downloaded from the HSEE Website by Candidates – Ends: 19th April 2020
- Examination Date for HSEE-2020: 19th April 2020
- Declaration of Result on HSEE Website: 15th May 2020
- Offer letter can be downloaded from the HSEE website by Successful Candidates – Starts: 16th May 2020
Admission Mode & Intake
- Admission is solely through Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE).
- The programme has a total of 52 seats; each stream will have 26 seats.
- Allocations of seats to individual streams will be made based on the academic performance of students (CGPA) during the first three semesters, students' preferences, and availability of seats under each discipline.
Eligibility Criteria for IIT Madras HSEE 2020
- Candidates applying for HSEE-2020 must have passed any one of the following qualifying examinations for the first time in 2019 or should be appearing in 2020.
- The final examination of 10+2 system, conducted by a Central or State Board recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (www.aiuweb.org)
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a Board or University recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defense Academy.
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School Board or University examination in India or in a foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities.
- H.S.C. vocational examination
- Class XII skill courses of CBSE
- General Certificate of Education (GCE) examination (London, Cambridge or Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level,
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva
- Candidates who have completed Class XII (or equivalent) examination outside India or from a Board not specified above should produce a certificate from the Association of Indian
- Universities to the effect that the examination they have passed is equivalent to the Class XII examination.
- In case the Class XII examination is not a public examination, the candidate must have passed at least one public (Board or Pre-University) examination earlier.
- Candidates who are NOT citizens of India at the time of registering for HSEE-2020 (by birth or naturalized) are treated as foreign nationals.
- Percentage of Marks in Qualifying Examination: Candidates belonging to the General, GEN-EWS and OBC-NCL category must secure a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination. Candidates belonging to SC, ST and PwD categories must secure a minimum of 55% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination.
- Date of Birth: Candidates whose date of birth falls on or after October 01, 1995 are eligible for HSEE 2020. However, in the case of SC, ST and PwD candidates, upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years, i.e., candidates belonging to SC, ST, and PwD and born on or after October 01, 1990 are eligible.
- Physical Fitness: Every qualified candidate will have to submit a Physical Fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the prescribed format that will be made available along with the letter of offer of admission.
Reservation of Seats
- Indian nationals belonging to certain categories are admitted under the seats reserved for them in accordance with the rules of the Government of India. Candidates belonging to the GEN-EWS, OBC-NCL, SC, ST and PwD categories will be declared as qualified on the basis of a relaxed criterion.
- The categories and the extent of reservation are as follows:
- General belonging to Economic Weaker Section (GEN-EWS)
- Other Backward Classes belonging to Non-Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL) - 27%
- Scheduled Caste (SC) - 15%
- Scheduled Tribe (ST) - 15%
- Persons with Disabilities (PwD) - 5%
HSEE 2020 Exam Pattern
- Type of Question Paper: HSEE-2020 is of three hours duration and has two parts. Part I consists of objective type multiple choice questions for 2½ hours duration (150 minutes), administered through computer. Part II involves essay writing for 30 minutes to be written on answer sheet distributed to the candidates at the end of Part I. One hour compensatory (extra) time will also be allowed to the candidates with 40% or more disability.
- Part I covers the following topics: (i) English and Comprehension Skill; (ii) Analytical and Quantitative Ability; (iii) General Studies covering the areas of Indian Economy, Indian Society and Culture, World Affairs ; and (iv) Environment and Ecology.
- Part II requires the candidates to write an essay on general topic involving description, or/and reflection or/and discussion
- Language of Question Paper: English.
- Items Prohibited in the Examination Hall: Electronic devices like mobile phone, calculator, iPod, iPad and headphones, etc. are NOT PERMITTED in the examination hall. Further, items such as log table, abacus, slide rule, textbooks, notebooks, and geometry box, etc. and any other means of calculation are also strictly prohibited in the examination hall.
Examination Cities for HSEE 2020:
- The entrance examination will be conducted in the following 16 cities:
- Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Coimbatore, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jammu, Kochi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, New Delhi, Patna and Thiruvananthapuram
- A candidate has to give two choices for the exam centre. Every attempt will be made to allot the centre of his/her first choice. In extreme cases, the candidate may be allotted the centre/city of his/her second choice
IIT Madras HSEE 2020 Admit Card
- After successful registration and payment of required fees either through the bank challan or through net- banking/credit-card/debit-card, the candidates can download their admit card for HSEE-2020 from March 18, 2020 (10 AM) onwards till April 19, 2020 (9 AM) from the HSEE-2020 website.
- The admit card will bear the name, photograph, date of birth, address and category of the candidate along with name and the address of the examination centre allotted. The candidate should carefully examine the admit card for all the entries made therein. In case of any discrepancy, the candidate should inform the Chairman, HSEE-2020, immediately by phone/email/fax.
IIT Madras HSEE 2020 Application Process
- Application for HSEE-2020 is only through online mode. The procedure is given below. Candidate needs access to a computer with an Internet connection and a printer.
- All applications are to be made through online mode Visit: https://hsee.iitm.ac.in
- Log on to the site http://hsee.iitm.ac.in and select from the menu “Apply Online” and follow the instructions on the site. Enter all the data as per the instructions. The site will prompt to save the data on the system when necessary.
- Upload scanned (a) Photograph, (b) Signatures and (c) Supporting Documents:
- Photograph: The scanned image of photograph should be in jpg/jpeg format only. The size of the photo image must be greater than 15 kb and less than 40 kb and the dimension of the photo image should be 3.5 cm (width) x 4.5cm (height) only.
- Signatures: The scanned images of signature should be in jpg/jpeg format only. The size of the signature image must be greater than 10 kb and less than 30 kb and the dimension of signature image should be 3.5 cm (length) x 1.5 (height) only.
- Supporting Documents: Scanned images of 10th Certificate/10+2 certificate (if available)/Date of Birth Certificate/GEN-EWS-Undertaking/OBC-NCL-Undertaking/SC/ST/PwD category certificate (if applicable) should be in jpg/jpeg format only.
- After successfully entering the data, click the 'finalize' button. After this, the details cannot be edited.
- Candidates must pay the examination fee as applicable is through Net Banking/Credit Card/Debit Card/Indian Bank challan that will be generated during the process of application. The examination fee for SC, ST, PwD candidates is Rs. 1200/- and for all other candidates it is Rs. 2400/-. Additionally, the service charges of the Bank will be Rs.40/-.
Payment by Indian Bank e-challan:
- A bank challan of Indian Bank will be generated during the online process of application. The candidate has to go to any branch of the Indian Bank along with a printed challan and pay the fee. The candidate must verify that the application numbers on both the copies of the challans are the same as that in the application.
- Check the challan details at the specified places in the application: Challan No.; Branch Code; Transaction No./Journal No.; Date of Payment. Ensure that the seal of the bank branch and the signature of the banker are affixed on the challan in the space provided.
Payment by Net Banking/Credit Card/Debit Card:
- The candidate has to select the option to pay the application fee and follow the online instructions to complete the payment. After successful payment, candidate will be able to print the acknowledgement page.
The Chairman, HSEE - 2020, JEE Office, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, Chennai-600036, Phone: 04422578220, E-mail: email@example.com, Website https://hsee.iitm.ac.in