IIT Madras announces Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE) 2021
HSEE 2021 – Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has invited applications for admission to the five-year Integrated Master of Arts (M.A.) Program conducted with an interdisciplinary perspective by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, during 2021-22 academic year through Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE) 2021.
The Program is designed to meet the needs of students who seek a broader learning forum and who appreciate the unique design of interdisciplinary studies. The program encourages students to engage in critical thinking and research on ideas, people, society, environment and the human condition
Also see : IIT Madras HSEE 2021 exam postponed
About HSEE 2021
- The Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination or HSEE is a national level entrance test conducted every year by Indian Institute of Technology Madras for admission to the master programme offered by the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS) of the institute. HSEE (Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination) is for admission to the five-year integrated Master of Arts (M.A.) Program at IIT Madras for admission in Integrated MA.
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras is an institute of national importance which offers quality education in Humanities, Sciences, Engineering, Management and Technology at UG / PG level. The Program draws its strength from the unique mix of streams.
HSEE 2021 for admission into the following two courses:
- Integrated M.A. in Development Studies
- Integrated M.A. in English Studies
HSEE 2021 Important Dates
- Online Application Process Begins – 1st February 2021
- Last Date for Submission of Online Application – 15th & 16th March 2021
- Application Status can be Checked from the HSEE website by Candidates –
31st March to April 30, 2021extended till May 11, 2021
- Admit Card Release Date – 12th May to 13th June 2021
- HSSE 2021 Exam Date – 13th June 2021
- Copy of candidate responses to be available on the HSEE – 2021 website – 21st June to 23rd June 2021
- HSSE 2021 Result Date – 28th June 2021
- Offer letter can be downloaded from the HSEE website by Successful Candidates – Starts – 30th June 2021
Eligibility Criteria for HSEE 2021
- Candidates who are NOT citizens of India at the time of registering for HSEE-2021 (by birth or naturalized) are treated as foreign nationals.
- Candidates applying for HSEE-2021 must have passed any one of the following qualifying examinations for the first time in 2020 or should be appearing in 2021.
- The final examination of 10+2 system, conducted by a Central or State Board recognized by the Association of Indian Universities (www.aiuweb.org)
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a Board or University recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defense Academy. Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School Board or University examination in India or in a foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Candidates who have completed Class XII (or equivalent) examination outside India or from a Board not specified above should produce a certificate from the Association of Indian.
Percentage of Marks in Qualifying Exam
- Candidates belonging to the General, GEN-EWS and OBC-NCL category must secure a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination. Candidates belonging to SC, ST and PwD categories must secure a minimum of 55% aggregate marks in the qualifying examination.
- Candidates whose date of birth falls on or after October 01, 1996 are eligible for HSEE 2021.
- However, in the case of SC, ST and PwD candidates, the upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years, i.e., candidates belonging to SC, ST, and PwD and born on or after October 01, 1991 are eligible.
- Every qualified candidate will have to submit a Physical Fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the prescribed format that will be made available along with the letter of offer of admission.
HSEE 2021 Application Process
- Eligible candidates can apply online mode only through University website https://hsee.iitm.ac.in
- Application for HSEE-2021 is only through online mode. The procedure is given below. Candidate needs access to a computer with an Internet connection and a printer.
Step 1 – Online Registration
- Log on to the site http://hsee.iitm.ac.in and select from the menu “Apply Online” and follow the instructions on the site. Enter all the data as per the instructions. The site will prompt to save the data on the system when necessary.
Step 2 – Fill All Details
- Upload scanned (a) Photograph, (b) Signatures and (c) Supporting Documents:
- Photograph – The scanned image of photograph should be in jpg/jpeg format only. The size of the photo image must be greater than 15 kb and less than 40 kb and the dimension of the photo image should be 3.5 cm (width) x 4.5cm (height) only.
- Signatures – The scanned images of signature should be in jpg/jpeg format only. The size of the signature image must be greater than 10 kb and less than 30 kb and the dimension of the signature image should be 3.5 cm (length) x 1.5 (height) only.
- Supporting Documents – Scanned images of 10th Certificate/10+2 certificate (if available)/Date of Birth Certificate/GEN-EWS-Undertaking/OBC-NCL-Undertaking/SC/ST/PwD category certificate (if applicable) should be in jpg/jpeg format only.
- After successfully entering the data, click the ‘finalize’ button. After this, the details cannot be edited.
Step 3 – Payment
- The candidate has to select the option to pay the application fee and follow the online instructions to complete the payment.
- After successful payment, the candidate will be able to print the acknowledgement page.
- For General & other candidates – Rs. 2400/-
- For SC, ST, PwD candidates – Rs. 1200/-
- Additionally, the service charges of the Bank – Rs.40/-
- Mode of Payment – Online through Debit/Credit Card & Net Banking/ Indian Bank Challan
HSEE 2021 Admit Card
- The candidates have to download the admit card from the website. After successful registration and payment of required fees either through the bank challan or through net- banking/credit-card/debit-card, the candidates can download their admit card for HSEE-2021 from 12th May 2021 to 13th June 2021 at the HSEE-2021 website.
- The admit card will bear the name, photograph, date of birth, address and category of the candidate along with name and the address of the examination centre allotted. The candidate should carefully examine the admit card for all the entries made therein. In case of any discrepancy, the candidate should inform the Chairman, HSEE-2021, immediately by phone/email/fax.
Admission Mode and Intake
- Admission is solely through Humanities and Social Sciences Entrance Examination (HSEE).
- The programme has a total of 58 seats; each stream will have 29 seats. Allocations of seats to individual streams will be made based on the academic performance of students (CGPA) during the first three semesters, students’ preferences, and availability of seats under each discipline.
- Exam Mode – Offline mode (pen and paper)
- Language of Question paper – English
- Question paper Part – HSEE-2021 is of three hours duration and has two parts
- Duration – 2½ hours duration (150 minutes)
- Questions Type – Multiple-Choice Questions (MCQ)
- Marking Scheme – Each correct answer will consist of 1 mark.
- Negative marking – Negative marks may be awarded for incorrect answers in Part I
HSEE 2021 Syllabus
- HSEE-2021 has two parts: Part I and Part II.
- Syllabus for Part I covers the following topics: (i) English and Comprehension Skill; (ii) Analytical and Quantitative Ability; (iii) General Studies covering the areas of Indian Economy, Indian Society and Culture, World Affairs ; and (iv) Environment and Ecology.
- Syllabus for Part II requires the candidates to write an essay on general topic involving description, or/and reflection or/and discussion.
The entrance examination will be conducted in the following 16 cities:
Mumbai & Guwahati
A candidate has to give two choices for the exam centre. Every attempt will be made to allot the centre of his/her first choice. In extreme cases, the candidate may be allotted the centre/city of his/her second choice
For more information and to apply online, visit the university website