University of Madras announces admission to PhD Program for January 2020 Session
University of Madras PhD Admission 2020 – Applications are invited by the University of Madras for admission to the PhD program (Full-Time/ Part-Time) in the departments of the University, Colleges affiliated to University and recognized research institutions for January 2020 session.
Also See : Phd Admissions
PhD Program Details
- The Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is awarded to a candidate who, as per these regulations, has submitted a thesis on the basis of original and independent research in any particular discipline or involving more than one discipline (interdisciplinary) that makes a contribution to the advancement of knowledge, which is approved by Board of examiners as required.
- To facilitate a time bound approach admission to PhD Program, admission is made four times in a year (i.e.) in January, April, July and October of every calendar year. Candidates should submit their applications on the first working day of a quarter viz January, April, July and October.
- The teachers from university departments/affiliated colleges are also informed that they should apply for admission to the PhD Program in the above sessions only.
Duration of the Program
- The PhD Program shall be for a minimum duration of three years, including course work for both full-time and part-time candidates and a maximum of six years.
- No candidates shall be permitted to submit the thesis after the maximum period of Six Years. There is no provision for either Extension or Re-Registration.
University of Madras PhD Admission 2020 Important Dates
Online Application Form submission
01st to 31st December 2019
Hard copy of filled in applications to be submitted to concern University Department bby
31st December 2019
Eligibility Criteria for University of Madras PhD Admission 2020
- Pattern of Study 10+2+3+2 (or) 11+1+3+2 are eligible for admission to do Ph.D. Program.
- Candidate should have obtained a Master’s Degree with 55% marks in the qualifying examination (PG Degree). For SC/ST candidates and for candidates who have completed the PG degree before 1991, the minimum can be only 50% for admission to the Ph.D. Program.
- According to the Government Order, the M.Phil Degree obtained by the candidates through the correspondence / Distance Education / Open University System prior to 3rd April 2009 i.e., the date of the Government order only will be considered as eligible and the MPhil degree obtained through the Correspondence / Distance education / Open University System after 3rd April 2009 are not eligible.
- A regular teachers of affiliated college with two years of teaching experience after P.G., degree., are eligible to register for Ph.D. (Part-time) Program.
- A regular teachers of Higher Secondary School, Polytechnic with four years of experience after the qualifying (PG) degree are eligible to register for Ph.D. (Part-Time) Program.
- Part – time (Internal) Candidate employed other than as a teacher in a permanent job in a registered firm/Institution, within the territorial jurisdiction of the University with a minimum of FOUR YEARS of total working experience, after the qualifying (PG) degree and satisfying the rules framed separately by the syndicate from time to time are eligible to register for Ph.D. (Part-Time) program.
- Part-time (External) candidates employed as a teacher / scientist or in any other related capacity (as recommended by the selection Committee of the concerned department) in National / State level Institutions, Research and Development (R&D) Centres / Laboratories and Institution outside the territorial jurisdiction of this University, in India, who are permitted by the respective organization for pursuing research leading to the PhD of this University on a Part Time (External) basis, while continuing in employment, may be permitted to register for the PhD Program on a part time basis as external candidate with two years of teaching experience after acquiring qualifying degree.
- The admission shall be based on the criteria notified by the Institution, keeping in view the guidelines/norms in this regard issued by the UGC and other statutory bodies concerned, and taking into account the reservation policy of the State Government from time to time.
- The admission procedures could be completed by the Departmental Selection Committee of the University departments/ Affiliated College admission committee / research Institution committee, provided the following guidelines are adopted:
- The Department Selection Committee should be constituted by the Head of the Department with two recognized guides in the department with the proposed guide (a minimum of three members should be in the committee) as convener.
University of Madras PhD Admission 2020 Application Process
- Candidates shall Register for the Ph.D. Degree Program in the University Departments, Affiliated Colleges, Research Institutions, or R & D Centres/Laboratories coming under these regulations in any one of the categories.
- Full-time scholar (with or without stipend or fellowship or any assistantship)
- Part-time scholar (teacher or non-teacher, internal vis-à-vis external)
- The candidates who desires to get admission for January 2020 session are directed to submit the application form online from the University website www.unom.ac.in and the hard copy of the filled in application forms should be submitted to the concerned University Departments/ Affiliated Colleges/ Research Institutions where they are proposed to undergo their research work along with the prescribed fee of Rs. 500/- through online payment.
- The SC/ST of Tamilnadu candidates alone are exempted from paying the application processing fee and that they should send a copy of the proof at the time of submission of application.
- The list shall include the name of the registered candidate, topic of his/her research, name of his/her Supervisor/co-Supervisor, date of enrolment/registration.
- Candidate has to upload the photograph and signature in .jpeg format (image quality 200 dpi). The size of photograph and signature must be between 10 kb to 40 kb and 10 kb to 30 kb respectively.
- The online application designed for the January 2020 session alone will be accepted and other applications will not be considered for admission under any circumstances.
- Candidates are informed to submit the Hard copy of the online Application form to the respective University Department / Affiliated College / Research Institution where the candidate is proposed to do their research work on or before 31st December 2019.
For more information, visit official website www.unom.ac.in