By Vaishnavi Tyagi
National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) is an autonomous institute under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Delhi. NIOS offers admission in Secondary, Senior-Secondary, Vocational and ITI courses, respectively. In Secondary and Senior Secondary, NIOS offers four streams.
NIOS offers Online Application form to the candidates. Payment of application fees and course fees is to be done through credit/debit card or net banking. NIOS does not accept Cheque/Demand Draft/Bank Draft/Cash.
NIOS – Topics Covered in this Article:
- NIOS Admission Process 2020
- List of Documents
- Important Dates
- Eligibility Criteria
- NIOS Admission Fees
NIOS Admission Online Process 2020
Candidates need to apply online to enroll in secondary or senior secondary course. Follow the steps given below and fill your NIOS application online.
- Visit the NIOS website or Student portal of NIOS sdmis.nios.ac.in and keep your scanned copies of required documents ready before filling in the application form.
- Click on ‘Register’ and after reading the declaration, click on ‘Proceed’.
- Select the State or Union Territory from where the candidate belongs to.
- Select a type of identity candidate wish to validate. It can be Aadhar Number, Aadhar Enrolment ID, Passport number, Ration card number, and bank account number, date of birth certificate or other.
- Type the identity document number and upload the scanned document.
- Select the course (Secondary or Senior Secondary) which the candidate wants to opt for.
- After authentication of details of the candidate, the candidate will next proceed to the admission form.
- Fill the application form carefully and enter the Mobile number, valid email id.
- Click on Generate OTP to get One Time Password (OTP) on the mobile number and email id.
- A username and password will be created for the candidate.
- Fill other details and select a study centre.
- Review the form before submitting and click on OK.
- Make a payment online and save the admission form.
List of documents whose scanned copies are required for application to NIOS is as follows-
- Recent passport size photograph
- Signature of the candidate (in blank ink)
- Valid ID Proof
- Valid Date of Proof
- Valid Proof of Residence
- Class 8th mark sheet/self-certificate (in case of secondary course). Class 10th mark sheet/self-certificate (in case of senior-secondary course).
- Self-attested copy of Social Category/Caste Certificate (in case of SC/ST/OBC category)
- Ex-Serviceman certificate (in case the candidate is ex-serviceman)
- Disability Certificate
- Original scanned copy of the Failed mark sheet issued by Parent board of the School Education in case of learner registers for NIOS Stream 2/3/4.
Confirmation of Admission: Admission of the candidate is confirmed by NIOS by issuing an online Identity Card.
Dual Enrolment and Part Admission: In case the candidate is studying in regular school or has passed secondary/senior secondary school, he/she may opt for four subjects of their choice, to update their knowledge and educational qualification.
NIOS Important Dates 2020-21
|Block for Online Admission||Date for Online Admission Stream-1||Fees||Examination Dates|
|Block – 1 (April/May, 2020)||16 March – July 31||Normal Fees||April/May, 2020|
|1 August – August 15||With late fees of INR 200|
|16 August – August 31||With late fees of INR 400|
|1 September – September 15||With late fees of INR 700|
|Block – 2 (October/November, 2020)||16 September – January 31||Normal Fees||October/November, 2020|
|1 February – February 15||With late fees of INR 200|
|16 February – 28 February||With late fees of INR 400|
|1 March – March 15||With late fees of INR 700|
NIOS Admission Fees Details
|Course||General Category||Exempted Category|
|Male||Female||SC/ST, Ex-Servicemen, Person with Disabilities (PwD)|
|(i) for 5 subjects||INR 1800||INR 1450||INR 1200|
|(ii) for each additional subject||INR 720||INR 720||INR 720|
|Senior – Secondary Course|
|(i) for 5 subjects||INR 2000||INR 1650||INR 1300|
|(ii) for each additional subject||INR 720||INR 720||INR 720|
Fees Details for Dual Enrolment/Part Admission/ TOC (Stream 1)
|Secondary and Sr. Secondary Registration fee (Per Subject)||480|
|Secondary, Cost of Course Material for each subject||360|
|Senior Secondary, Cost of Course Material for each subject||400|
Fees for Stream 2, 3 & 4
|Registration fee (Stream 2, 3 & 4)||Fees (INR)|
|Secondary and Sr. Secondary (Per Subject)||480|
Transfer of Credit (TOC) Fee for all streams
|TOC Fee for||Fees (INR)|
|Secondary and Sr. Secondary (Per Subject)||180|
Fee for change of Subject/Additional Subject for all streams
|Secondary Courses (Per Subject)||720|
|Senior – Secondary Courses (Per Subject)||720|
How to Pay NIOS Fees Online?
- Fees can be paid through net banking/credit card/debit card.
- If admission is done through Common Services Centres, fees can be paid through Electronic Wallets of CSCs.
- In addition to the above-mentioned fee, INR 50 will be added as an Online Application form fee for all streams.
- Fee payment through Bank Draft/Demand Draft/Cash/Cheque will not be accepted. Only online mode of payment is acceptable.
NIOS Admission Online: Eligibility Criteria
For Secondary course at NIOS, a candidate must have passed class 8th examination from a recognized board and must be minimum 14 years of age. For Senior Secondary course at NIOS, the candidate must have passed 10th class examination from a recognized board. Minimum age required is 15 years.
Secondary: For NIOS Admission Class 10th
- A learner who has passed class VIII and has valid proof of reaching 14 years of age can apply.
- Minimum age to apply in Secondary Course is 14 years as of January 31, 2019 (born on or before January 31, 2005).
- A learner who gives a self –certificate stating ‘I have studied enough to be able to pursue secondary course’ is also eligible for admission.
- A learner who has studied at secondary level and wishes to complete his/her course or improve performance can apply.
Senior – Secondary: For admission to NIOS Class 12th
- Minimum age to apply in Secondary Course is 15 years as on January 31, 2019 (born on or before January 31, 2004).
- A learner must have passed Secondary Course from a recognized board to apply.
For the detailed prospectus of NIOS, click here
NIOS Syllabus: Scheme of Studies
Scheme of Studies for Secondary and Senior Secondary is shown in the table below. To obtain a pass certificate, the candidate is required to pass a minimum of five subjects one or maximum subjects from Group A and the other three or four subjects from other remaining groups. Candidate can also opt for additional subjects.
- Five subjects with at least one or two languages.
- Minimum of five subjects
- Candidates can also take two additional subjects
- Candidate must select a subject according to their future course of study or work.
Hindi(201), English(202), Bengali(203), Marathi(204), Telugu(205), Urdu(206), Gujarati(207), Kannada(208), Sanskrit(209), Punjabi(210), Assamese (228),Nepali(231), Malayalam(232), Oriya(233), Arabic (235),Persian (236), Tamil (237)
Mathematics(211), *Science and Technology(212), Social Science(213), Economics(214), Business Studies(215), *Home Science(216), *Data Entry Operation(E)(229), Psychology (222), Indian Culture & Heritage (223), *Painting (225), *Data Entry Operations (229)
|Senior – Secondary||Group A:
Hindi(301), English(302), Bangla (303), Tamil (304), Odia (305), Urdu(306), Gujarati (307), Sanskrit (309), Punjabi (310)
Mathematics(311), *Home Science(321), Psychology(328), *Geography(316), Economics(318), Business Studies(319), *Painting (332), *Data entry Operation(336)
*Physics(312), History(315), *Library and Information Sc.(339)
*Chemistry(313), Political Science(317), *Mass Communication (335)
*Biology(314), Accountancy(320), *Introduction to Law (338),
Computer Science(330), Sociology(331), *Environmental Science (333)
NIOS Admission: Vocational Courses and ITI
NIOS offers various Vocational Courses to the students for which eligibility is passing in class 10th board examinations. Admission is done online through the official website. Logon to the official website and fill the form carefully. Upload scanned documents that are required and submit the form.
NIOS also offers ITI courses to the candidates. The application is to be filled online only through the official website.
Also See :
- NIOS Admission 2019 for Class 10th, 12th- Dates, Age, Fee,Application
- NOIS Diploma in Elementary Education D.El.Ed. – Course Details, Eligibility
- NIOS is a Recognised Board – just like CBSE, ICSE
- NIOS Public Exam and on Demand Examination System
- NIOS Academic Courses for Class 10th and 12th
- NIOS Full form