NIBMG Kalyani Integrated MS-PhD Admission 2019
NIBMG Integrated MS-PhD Admission 2019 – National Institute of Bio-Medical Genomics (NIBMG), Kalyani applications are invited for Integrated MS-PhD Program for the session August 2019
Research at NIBMG:
- Research activities at NIBMG are centred around a common theme of understanding human health and disease with emphasis laid on gaining biological insights into disease mechanisms using clinical samples and appropriate disease model systems.
- NIBMG is equipped with state-of-the art technologies that include Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) platforms, genetic engineering including CRISPR-Cas DNA editing laboratories, FACS, low and high resolution imaging facility, upcoming zebrafish, small animal and proteomics facilities.
- The broad areas of research pursued at NIBMG are:
- Biomedical Genomics and the functional implications in the context of:
- Infectious disease
- Chronic disease
- Computational Biology and Statistical Genomics
See: Integrated PhD courses Latest Admission Notifications
NIBMG Integrated MS-PhD Admission 2019 Important Dates
- Last date of submitting application: 12th of June 2019
- Short-listed candidates for interview shall be published on NIBMG website: 14th June 2019
- Interviews will be held on: 26th June 2019.
Eligibility Criteria for NIBMG Integrated MS-PhD Admission 2019
- Minimum Eligibility: Indian nationals with a minimum 55 % aggregate marks (or an equivalent grade point average) in Bachelor’s degree in any branch of Biological Sciences are eligible to apply for admission. Students from the SC, ST, OBC (non-creamy layer), and PWD categories shall be given a relaxation of 5% marks.
- Students in the last year of their qualifying degree program are also eligible to apply, provided they produce a proof of having secured the necessary marks in their undergraduate degree program at the time of interview.
See: PHD Admission 2019
Selection Procedure for NIBMG Integrated MS-PhD Admission 2019
- Candidates applying for admission into our Integrated Ph.D. program would need to qualify one of these 3 exams (in the current year), according to the screening cutoffs to be determined by NIBMG.
- Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biology and Interdisciplinary Life Sciences (JGEEBILS conducted by NCBS/TIFR): Exam held in December, 2018
- JAM 2019 (Joint Admission Test for M.Sc., 2019 conducted by IIT Kharagpur) for Biology (BL)
- Joint Admission Test for M.Sc., 2019 conducted by IIT Kharagpur) for Biotechnology (BT).
- Candidates who fulfill the minimum eligibility conditions and have appeared for any of the above exams may apply online and will be shortlisted for interview if their scores in JGEEBILS or JAM (BL) or JAM (BT) are higher than the cutoffs to be determined by NIBMG.
- Final selection will be based exclusively on the candidate’s Interview performance.
- Number of seats: At most 10 students will be selected for admission annually. There will be reservation of seats for students from SC, ST, OBC and PWD classes in accordance with the regulations of Govt. Of India in this respect. Certificates from relevant authorities will need to be provided as proof before the interview.
- Curriculum: The course curriculum has a blend of theoretical courses, practical (hands-on) lab courses, and projects in research labs. The first semester courses will focus on basic biology such as Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Principles of Genetics etc. Second semester will introduce Human Genetics and Genomics, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics and the biology and genetic aspects of human diseases such as cancer, infectious and complex diseases. Each student can undergo “research rotations” in upto 3 labs of their choice during the first year. Third semester includes few courses such as Research Methods, Scientific Communication, advanced genomics courses in addition to a part-time research project under an assigned supervisor. The 4th semester consists completely of full time research project under an assigned supervisor. Those eligible to continue into Ph.D. shall generally continue Thesis research in the same lab from the 5th semester.
- Fellowships: The students admitted to the program shall receive a fellowship of Rs. 16000 (rupees sixteen thousand only) per month for the first 2 years of the program. After completion of the course work (first two years of the program), students shall undergo comprehensive evaluation by a Review Committee. On being recommended for continuation in the PhD program, the student shall be awarded the NIBMG Ph.D. fellowship JRF/SRF (equivalent to the doctoral fellowships offered from different funding agencies as per the relevant Govt. of India guidelines), for up to 5 years. Continuation of fellowships will be contingent upon maintaining satisfactory performance in coursework and research.
See: Top PhD Entrance Exams in India
NIBMG Integrated MS-PhD Admission 2019 Application Procedure
- Candidate can apply online via website link https://apply.nibmg.ac.in/ (no other form of application will be accepted).
- Please indicate online whether you belong to a reserved category or the general category. Online application will be accepted until 5 PM of 12th June, 2019. Short-listed candidates will be called for a formal interview for the final selection (List of Short-listed candidates for interview shall be published on NIBMG website on 14th June, 2019). Interviews will be held on the 26th of June, 2019.
- Fees: There are no application fees (only online applications are accepted through https://apply.nibmg.ac.in)
National Institute of Biomedical Genomics
- P.O.: N.S.S., Kalyani 741251, West-Bengal, India, Phone: +9133-29772151, Email: email@example.com., firstname.lastname@example.org, website: www.nibmg.ac.in