Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Patna PhD Program Admission 2020
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Patna announce Admission to PhD Program 2020 January (Spring Semester, AY-2019-20)
IIT Patna PhD Admission 2020 - Applications are invited for admission to the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme, starting in January 2020 in the following Departments at IIT Patna.
Name of the Departments
- Chemical & Biochemical Engineering, Chemistry, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Humanities and Social Sciences, Metallurgical & Materials Engineering , Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Physics
See: PHD Admission
Areas of Research
- The areas of research in IIT Patna are as follows:
- Chemical & Biochemical Engineering: Process System Engineering, Production planning, Sustainable Engineering of Processes, Process Integration, Molecular Modeling and Simulation, Smart materials, Wetting and interfacial properties, Phase Equilibria and Phase transition, Properties of confined fluids at nanoscale, Wastewater treatment, Catalysis, microwave assisted material processing, Photocatalyst, catalyst engineering, In situ spectroscopy techniques, crystallization, downstream separation processes, biodiesel production, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Non-Newtonian flow rheology, Motion of bubble/drops, Particle dynamics in multiphase flows, CFD-DEM coupled simulations, Heat transfer in Nanofluids, Modelling of Phase change materials
- Chemistry: Organic/Inorganic/Physical/Theoretical/Biochemistry/Biotechnology/Bio Organic/Supramolecular/Coordination/Polymer/Carbohydrate/Gas-Phase-Molecular Spectroscopy/Green/Nanotechnology/Biophysical/Solid-state/Materials Chemistry.
- Civil & Environmental Engineering: Traffic systems, Environmental Engineering– Water and Wastewater Treatment, Waste Treatment and Resource Recovery, E-waste Management, Automated Waste Sorting; Rail Track Geotechnology; Transportation Engineering; Pavement Engineering; Geotechnical Engineering; Structural Engineering.
- Computer Science and Engineering: Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Cross-Lingual IR, Information Extraction, Online Algorithms, Complex Networks, Social Networks, Theoretical Computer Science, CAD for VLSI, Real-Time Embedded Systems, Algorithms, Deep learning, Information Extraction, Web mining and Text mining, Network Science, Online Social Networks, Social Media Analysis, Intelligent Transportation Systems, Cloud Computing, Big Data Computing, Distributed Systems, Network Virtualization, Programming Languages, Analysis and Verification, Robotics, Blockchain, Lightweight Cryptography, Computer Security, Network Security, Cloud computing Security. Multiobjective Optimization, Text Mining, Bioinformatics, Soft Computing, Fault-tolerant Computing, Secure systems, Hardware Security, Application of Novel Nano-devices to Hardware Security, Ubiquitous Computing and Embedded Engineering, VLSI Design, Testing and Methodologies, Image Processing, Medical Imaging, Computer Vision, Social Computing, Human-Computer Interaction.
- Electrical Engineering: High Performance Computing Architecture, Wide Area Monitoring, Control and Protection in Power System Optical Communication, Digital Communication, Visible light communication, Photonics Wireless Sensor Networks, Internet of Things (IoT), Molecular and MIMO Communications, Applications of Signal Processing and Machine Learning. Smart Grid Control system Wireless Communications, Digital communications and 5G communications
- Humanities and Social Sciences: Sociology: Migration and Diaspora Studies, Education and Society, Technoscience, Social Development, & Public Policies. Population and Public Health, Gender and Development, Environmental Health, Regional Development, & Health Care Management.
- Economics: Microeconomics, Macro economics, International Trade, Development economics, Labour economics, Public finance and policy. Linguistics: Phonetics, Phonology, Sociolinguistics, Forensic Linguistics, Language Typology; English: Indian Writing in English, Censorship Studies, Gender Studies, Women's Studies, English Language Teaching- methodology, language acquisition, ICT, CALL, multilingual and bilingual class, Postcolonial and Diasporic writings, Comparative Literature
- Metallurgical & Materials Engineering: Plasma Spray Coating, Mechanical Properties of Materials, Metal and Ceramic Matrix nanocomposites, Tribology of Materials, Process-structure-property Relationship, Solid State Chemistry, Materials Chemistry, Nanoparticles for Energy, Structural and Functional Applications, Ceramics, Polymer Blends and Alloys, Polymer Nanocomposites, Novel Nanofillers and Hybrid Nanofillers.
- Mathematics: Numerical Analysis, Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations, Adaptive Meshes, Finite Difference, Finite Element, and Finite Volume Methods. Nonlinear Dynamics, Optimal control, Application of differential equations, Mathematical Biology, Reliability estimation, Survival Analysis, Estimation under Censored data; Rings and Modules; Nonlinear Optimization; Variational inequalities; Semi-infinite Programming, Analysis of ODEs and PDEs. Wavelets and Sobolev Spaces. Monotone Iterative Technique.
- Mechanical Engineering: Robotics and Mechatronics , Under-water robotics, virtual reality, CAD/CAM, Biomechanics, Vibrations and Rotordynamics, Condition monitoring, Surface Engineering and Tribology, XFEM,FEM/ Meshfree Method, Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics, Fatigue and Fracture of Welded Joints, sheet metal forming, computational plasticity, molecular dynamics for deformation and damage simulation on metals, In situ analysis of Manufacturing Processes, Friction stir welding, Micro-Friction Stir Welding, Additive Friction Stir Processing, hot deformation of metallic materials, Additive manufacturing, Two-phase flows, heat transfer, Boiling, Condensation, Energy, Heat Exchangers, Fluid-solid interaction, Biophysical hydro/ aerodynamics, Cryogenic machining and wearable low power stretchable electronics, Experimental and Theoretical study of Rolling Sliding Friction of ball bearings for machinery such as electric vehicles, Effect of burnup on burst behaviour of Zircaloy-4 cladding tubes under simulated Loss of Coolant Accident (LOCA)
- Physics: Ultrafast Spectroscopy & Biophysics; Applied Optics (optical signal processing, information security), Digital Holography; Quantum Optics (Experimental); Quantum Machine Learning; Biophotonics & Nanophotonics; High Energy Physics Phenomenology; Heavy-ion collisions, QCD phase diagram and exotic particle search; Condensed matter physics (experimental), Multiferroics, Magnetic materials, Nanostructured materials; Nanomaterials for Energy and Sensing; Nanoscale device applications based on atomic switch technology; Renewable Energy Materials & Devices, EMI Shielding, Ferroelectrics & Dielectrics; Organic electronic devices; Condensed Matter Physics, Nanoelectronics, Spintronics; 2D Materials; Condensed Matter Theory;Computational Atomic and Molecular Physics.
Category of admission:
- The Institute admits Ph.D. students under the following categories:
Regular and Full-Time
- A student in this category works full-time for her/his PhD degree. They can be classified as
- She/he receives assistantship from the Institute. The qualifying Degree for Financial Support is:
- BE/ BTech/ MSc/ MA/ MBA/ MCA /equivalent degree with valid GATE score above the prescribed cut off level/ NET qualification.
- ME/ MTech/ MPhil /equivalent degree with GATE/ NET qualification.
Research Fellows (JRF/SRF)
- She/he receives fellowship from any government recognized funding agencies, such as CSIR, UGC, DBT, NBHM, DST (INSPIRE programme), etc.
- A student in this category is sponsored by a recognized industrial R&D organization, academic institution (universities/colleges), government organization (defence or other ministries of the Government of India or any other government organizations including PSUs and autonomous bodies) or reputed industries (as may be recognized by this Institute) for doing research in the Institute. The Institute does not provide any assistantship/fellowship to such a student.
Eligibility Criteria for IIT Patna PhD Admission 2020
- In all the disciplines, the upper age limit is 28 years (B.Tech./B.E./M.Sc./MA/MCA/MBA) and 32 years (M.Tech./M.E./M.S./M.Phil.) to be calculated from Regular & Full time category.
- For Research/ project fellows, age limit will be as per the funding agency norms. In absence of any age criteria, the Institute norms will be followed. Upper age limit is relaxed up to 05 years in case of candidate belonging to Schedule Castes/Schedule Tribes, Women, Physically Handicapped and OBC applicants.
PhD in Engineering
- For admission to the PhD Programme in Engineering Department, a candidate must satisfy one of the following criteria:
- Candidates having M.Tech./M.E. degree in Engineering/Technology with a minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% marks.
- Candidates should have a Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology (from any Institute other than IITs) in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 8.0 or 75% marks.
- Candidates should have a Bachelor's degree from an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.0.; Master’s degree in Science in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.5 or 70%.
PhD in Science
- For admission to the PhD Programme in Science departments, a candidate must satisfy one of the following criteria:
- Candidates should have M.Phil. or Master’s degree in Science in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% marks.
- Candidates should have a Master's degree in Engineering/Technology in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% of marks
- Candidates should have a Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology from an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.0.
- Candidates should have a Bachelor's degree in a related area in Engineering/Technology (from any Institute other than IITs/IISc) in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 8.0 or 75% marks.
PhD in Humanities and Social Sciences
- For admission to the PhD Programme in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS), a candidate must satisfy one of the following criteria:
- Candidates should have M.Phil. or Master’s degree in Arts/Commerce/Science in a relevant area with a minimum of 55%marks or equivalent.
- Candidates should have a Master's degree in Engineering/Technology/Design in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 6.5 or 60% marks.
- Candidates should have a Bachelor's degree from an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.0.
- Candidates should have a Bachelor's degree in Engineering/Technology (from any Institute other than IITs/IISc) in a relevant area with a minimum CPI of 7.5 or 70% marks.
Direct Admission (Waiver of Written Test):
- The Institute may admit exceptionally bright students and Full-time (Institute Fellows) directly (i.e., without written test) into the Ph.D. program.
- Eligible candidates meeting one of the following criteria may be considered for a waiver of the written test:
- B.Tech. from the IITs, graduated within the last five years, with a degree in the respective discipline with a CPI/CGPA of 8/10 and above.
- Masters from the IITs/IISc, graduated within the last five years, with a degree in the respective discipline with a CPI/CGPA of 8.5/10 and above.
- Such a candidate has to apply online. Additionally, an application must be sent with supporting documents to the Assistant Registrar, Academics.
- There would be no admission in direct admission category in Department of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Relaxation for SC/ST Candidates:
- Eligibility criteria will be relaxed by 5% marks or 0.5 CPI for SC/ ST applicants.
- The reservation of seats in admissions for SC, ST, OBC, EWS categories and for Persons with Disability (PwD) will be as per Government of India rules. OBC (Non-creamy layer) candidates will have to enclose certificate and self-declaration statement as per formats as indicated at Annexure- I and II provided with the application form.
- The Institute assistantships will be available to eligible (Indian) students as per prevailing (MHRD, GoI) norms, as applicable from time to time. At present total emoluments are Rs 31,000/- per month.
- Assistantships from external funding organizations will be available as per terms and conditions of the concerned funding organizations.
- The Institute reserves the right to call a limited number of candidates for written test or/ and interview, based on performance in GATE/NET, grades/marks in the qualifying examination, etc.
IIT Patna PhD Admission 2020 Application Process
- Candidates are required to use the following link to fill and submit application form online.Link: http://academic.iitp.ac.in
- For application, the online link will remain active till 31st October 2019. Please login and fill up all the parts of the application form. Follow the instructions given in the document “Instructions to Candidates”. At the end a final PDF will be generated. You can download it from your registered email address or from your application page.
- The application fee of Rs. 300/- for General/OBC/EWS (Male) candidates and Rs. 150/- for SC/ST/PwD/Female (all categories) candidates, must be submitted online through SBI Collect.
- Link for payment: https://www.onlinesbi.com/prelogin/icollecthome.htm?corpID=595859
- After the payment, a reference/journal number will be generated, which must be mentioned in the application form and the printed e-receipt of payment must be enclosed along with the hard copy of application.
- You are required to send final submitted application generated online duly signed along with self attested copies of mark sheets & certificates (from class X to highest degree obtained/appeared), caste certificate (if applicable), GATE /NET/Relevant certificate related to any fellowship, experience certificate and other testimonials (both sides) and printed e-receipt of online payment to the following address - The Assistant Registrar (Academics), Indian Institute of Technology Patna, Bihta, Kanpa Road, District - Patna, Bihar to reach on or before 07th November 2019:
- Please note that your application must be complete in all respects, along with all documents, including e-receipt of payment.
- The words “Application for Ph.D. admission in the Department of ______ (Name of the Department where applying for)” must be written on the top of the envelope for sending the completed form.
- Candidates applying for more than one department, must submit a separate application with another fee payment for each department.
IIT Patna PhD Admission 2020 Important Dates
- Start Date of On-line Application: 14th October 2019
- Last Date of On-line Application: 31st October 2019
- Last Date for receipt of completed Application Forms by IIT Patna in hard copy (with enclosures): 07th November 2019
For more details and information please visit their official website www.iitp.ac.in
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Patna
Indian Institute of Technology, (IIT) Patna, Bihta, Kanpa Road, District-Patna, Bihar , PIN–801106, Tel.: 0612-302-8697, 0612-302-8684, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, Website www.iitp.ac.in
Ph.D. in Computer Science
Universities offering PhD in Computer science, Fee, Job Opportunities and Salary.
PhD Admission Process in India
Tips for Getting Good Scores in Gate Exams. Visit us for tips on getting good scores in GATE an all India level entrance examination for aspirants who want to pursue Masters/Direct PhD.
Top PhD Entrance Exams in India
Here is al ist of Top PhD Entrance Exams in India. Visit the page to know about Entrance Exam Notifications of Top PhD Courses in India.
Why do a Phd? - Reasons, Funding Schemes, Job Prospects
Why do a PhD? - Purpose, Opportunities, Funding Schemes. Check here the list of Important Schemes and Funding Opportunities available to do PhD in India