IIT Madras PhD and MS (Research) Admission 2020, Dates, Eligibility, Application
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras announces Admission to PhD and M.S (Research) Program 2020 January
IIT Madras PhD and MS Admission 2020 - Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras has invited applications from eligible candidates for admission to PhD and MS (by Research) Programs under Regular/Part-Time/External Schemes of the Institute Program for the session 2020.
About IIT Madras
- IIT Madras is a premier institute in the field of Research & Technology Education. IIT Madras is ranked among the top 10 institutes Engineering Institutes for Research & Teaching by National Institutional Ranking Framework (MHRD) in 2016. The institute offers Undergraduate & Postgraduate Programs in Engineering & Mgt. Education.
See: PHD Admission
PhD & MS (Research) Program
- For admission to PhD and MS (by Research) Programs under Regular Full Time [with/without half-time Teaching Research Assistantship (HTRA)] and Part-Time/External Programs in the departments of Aerospace Engineering, Applied Mechanics, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Design, Humanities & Social Sciences, Management Studies, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical & Materials Engineering, Ocean Engineering and Physics
- IITM also offers a chance to pursue Interdisciplinary PhD in exciting areas of research. IIT Madras PhD and MS Admission 2020.
IIT Madras PhD and MS Admission 2020 Important Dates
- Registration of Application form: 01st April 2019
- Last date of receipt of completed: 31st October 2019 application form
- Written Test and Interview or :: *
- Interview [on or before]*
- Selected Candidates to join on 01st January 2020
Eligibility Criteria for IIT Madras PhD and MS Admission 2020
- Bachelor's degree in Aerospace/Civil/Chemical/Computer Science/Electrical/Mechanical/ Metallurgical/Naval Architecture/allied branches (such as Instrumentation, Energy Engg., Production, etc.)
- Master’s degree in Physics/Mathematics/Chemistry and aptitude for research.
- Any engineering graduate with at least two years relevant experience in aerospace Industry/Research Organization and applying under EXTERNAL category
Applied Mechanics (Engineering Mechanics and Solid Mechanics areas:)
- Bachelor's degree in Civil/Aerospace/ Mechanical/Naval Architecture Engineering.
- Fluid Mechanics area: Bachelor's degree in Civil / Mechanical / Aerospace / Chemical Engineering.
- Biomedical Engineering area: Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Master's degree in Science with Mathematics as optional subject and aptitude for research. MBBS candidates with Mathematics in +2 and having 2 years research/teaching experience may also apply for M.S sponsored programme in the area of Biomedical Engineering
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Pharmacy or M.B.B.S or B.D.S Selection Process: The candidate should have a valid GATE score/NEET PG Score (as applicable)equivalent in order to be called for the interview. The final selection process will be based on performance in the Departmental written test and interview.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, allied disciplines such as polymer, petroleum, petrochemical, pharmaceutical, environmental, biochemical, biotechnology, electrochemical, instrumentation etc and other disciplines of engineering/technology.
- M.Sc.(Mathematics/Physics/Chemistry/Env.Science/Biochemistry/ Biology etc.) with aptitude for research.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering from any recognised University for all specialisations in Civil Engineering. In addition, the following non-Civil Engineering Degree Qualifications are also eligible for different specializations but M.Sc. degree holders in Science with two years work experience admitted to the M.S. programme should take additional Engineering Courses to acquire enough engineering background.
- Building Technology and Construction Management: Bachelor's degree in Architecture or First Class M.Sc degree in Physics/ Applied Science/Material Science in Civil Engineering area. Geotechnical Engineering: M.Sc. degree in Mathematics/Physics/Chemistry/Applied Geology in Civil Engineering area.
- Bachelor's degree in Mining Engineering with one year relevant experience. Environmental and Water Resources Engineering: Bachelor's degree in Agricultural Engineering or Master's degree in Applied Mathematics/Applied Geology/ Geophysics in Civil Engineering area.
- Transportation Engineering: Bachelor's degree in Architecture or First Class B.E/B.Tech (Mechanical) working in Transportation Field.
Computer Science and Engineering
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in any branch of Engineering / Technology or Master's Degree in Mathematics/Statistics/ Physics/Computer Science/MCA with Mathematics/ Physics/ Statistics basic degree.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering (Electrical and Electronics Engineering)/ Electronics Engineering (Electronics and Communication Engineering) / Instrumentation Engineering or Master's degree in Physics. Candidates not having Bachelor's degree in Electrical / Electronics Engineering should qualify in a written test to be eligible for interview.
- Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace, Automobile, Biomedical, Civil, Computer Science, Electrical, Electronics, Engineering Physics, Instrumentation, Mechanical, Metallurgical, Naval Architecture, Production / Manufacturing Engineering or Bachelor’s degree in Design (B.Des.)/Industrial Mathematics or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering Design
- Qualifying Test : National-level entrance/eligibility test such as GATE OR International level post graduate admission qualifying examination such as GMAT/GRE (Non-HTRA).
- Candidates having qualified in MFT (Major Field Test) will also be eligible for admission to the M.S. programme if the concerned department opt for it.
- Minimum Educational Qualifications : B.E./B.Tech or equivalent with First class or 60% marks in aggregate or Four-year professional degree (like AMIE) or equivalent programmes in a relevant discipline with First class or 60% marks in aggregate Or A Master's degree in a relevant discipline with 55% marks in aggregate from a recognized Institution or University.
- Minimum Work Experience :NIL for those fulfilling the above conditions for Qualifying Test and Minimum Educational Qualifications. THREE years' managerial experience for those who fulfill the Minimum Educational Qualifications condition but have not taken or are ineligible to take the Qualifying Test. Such applicants will be administered by a Departmental test to evaluate their eligibility. These candidates are not eligible for HTRA.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, Architectural Engineering, Automobile Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Electronics, Energy Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Instrumentation, Metallurgical Engineering, Mining Engineering, Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering, Production/ Manufacturing Engineering and in related areas depending on the research topics.
- Metallurgical & Materials Engineering Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Metallurgical Engineering or other appropriate branch of Engineering/ Technology or Master's degree in Physics/Chemistry/Materials Science or allied fields with GATE with 'XE'. Master's Degree in Mathematics with GATE in Metallurgy.
- Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in Civil/Mechanical/ Aerospace/Naval Architecture or Master's degree in Oceanography/Applied Mathematics/Physics
For Petroleum Engineering
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil / Mechanical / Chemical / Naval Architecture / Ocean / Aerospace / Metallurgical / Materials / Electrical and Electronics / Marine / Mining / Aerospace or its equivalent. Master’s degree in Oceanography / Earth Sciences / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Geology / Geophysics / Remote Sensing or its equivalent.
IIT Madras PhD and MS Admission 2020 Application Process
- Please read the instructions given in the admission brochure carefully before filling up the online application form.
- Online Application Form & Admission Brochure (including the admission schedule along with the important dates) is available on the Institute Website https://research.iitm.ac.in
- You are required to submit an application ONLINE. No Downloadable Forms will be available.
- After filling the form, you are advised to take a printout of your application and keep the same for your records.
- Candidates who wish to apply to multiple departments or research programmes should register individual application and pay the application fee separately subject to fulfilling the eligibility criteria for applying to the concerned department/research programme as mentioned in the admission brochure
- Candidates called for written test/interview should bring with them the printed copy of the application submitted online along with Original and photo-copies of relevant certificates/ documents
The Application fee is as follows:
- GN/EWS/OBC-NCL Male candidates : Rs.100/-
- GN/EWS/OBC-NCL Female candidates : Rs.50/-
- SC/ST and PwD candidates : Rs.50/-
- APPLICATION FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Only Foreign Nationals including PIO & OCI card holders are exempted from paying the Application Fee