Tata Institute of Fundamental Research announces TIFR GS 2022 for PhD and Integrated MSc-PhD Admission
TIFR GS 2022 – Tata Institute of Fundamental Research invites applications for admissions to TIFR Deemed University, stationed at TCIS Hyderabad for PhD and Integrated M.Sc.-PhD Degree Programs under the Subject Board of Physics for the academic Session January 2022
- Mathematics: PhD and Integrated M.Sc.-PhD Programs
- Physics: PhD and Integrated M.Sc.-PhD Programs
- Chemistry: PhD and Integrated M.Sc.-PhD Programs
- Biology: PhD, Integrated M.Sc.-PhD and M.Sc. Programs
- Computer & Systems Sciences: (including Communications Machine Learning) Ph.D. and Integrated M.Sc.-PhD Programs
- Science Education: PhD Programme
Typical Course Duration
- Ph.D. Programme: 5 Years
- Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programme: 6 Years
- M.Sc.Programme: See details in respective programme.
TIFR GS 2022 Important Dates
- Online application starts: October 8, 2021
- Last date for application: November 7, 2021
- Nationwide Entrance Examination: Sunday, December 12, 2021
- Downloading of Hall Tickets: November 22, 2021
- GATE Scored based applications to Systems Science (including Communications and Machine Learning): Opens : January 31, 2022
- Closes : To be announced
- Results of the Nationwide Entrance Examination (shortlist for interviews) : By end-January 2022.
Eligibility Criteria for TIFR GS 2022
- Candidates in the final year of their qualifying degree can also apply.
- For Ph.D. : M.A./M.Sc./M.Math./M.Stat./M.E./M.Tech.
- For I-Ph.D. : B.A./B.Sc./B.Math./B.Stat./B.E./B.Tech. (Students already having/completing a Master’s degree by July 2022 are not eligible for I-Ph.D.).
- For Ph.D.: M.Sc./M.S. in Physics, or equivalent degree, on completion of programmes(s) of duration not less than 5 years in total.
- For I-Ph.D.: M.E./M.Tech./B.Sc./B.S./B.E./B.Tech./ B.Chem. in Physics, Engineering Physics, or equivalent degree, on completion of programme(s) of duration not less than 3 years in total. Any other degree in Science / Engineering / Medicine, or equivalent, on completion of programme(s) of duration not less than 3 years in total.
- For Ph.D.: M.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.Pharm. or equivalent degree.
- For I-Ph.D.: B.Sc./B.Pharm./B.S. degree or equivalent degree.
- Candidates with B.E./B.Tech. degrees, enrolled in the Ph.D. programme can optionally get an M.Sc. degree by fulfilling additional requirements.
- Candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on written test marks, CV, letters of recommendation and Scientific write-up.
- For Ph.D.: Masters in Basic Science (M.Sc. Physics/ Chemistry/ Mathematics/ any branch of Biology) or any professional Master’s Degree (M.Pharma./M.Tech.), or a > 4 year degree program (e.g. MBBS, BDS). Students holding an M.Sc. degree in a non-Biology-allied discipline such as Chemistry / Physics / Mathematics / Computer Science, and who wish to obtain an M.Sc. in Biology, will be offered the option of enrolling in the I-Ph.D. programme at the time of joining.
- For I-Ph.D./M.Sc.: Bachelors in any Basic Science (Physics/ Chemistry/Mathematics/any branch of Biology) OR any 4-year degree programme that awards a “Bachelor’s degree” including B.Tech., B.E., B.V.Sc., B.Pharma. (4 year course).
- For M.Sc. (Wildlife Biology & Conservation): Indian nationals who have a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline (with a minimum of 50% in core subjects) and a strong interest in wildlife research and conservation. Graduate nationals from Central, South and Southeast Asian countries, with similar qualifications are also eligible to apply.
Computer & Systems Sciences (including Communications and Machine Learning):
- For Ph.D. : B.Tech./B.E./B.Sc.(4-year degree)/M.Tech./M.E./M.C.A./M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Computer Science / Electronics & Communications Engineering / Electrical Engineering or related branches. Exceptionally well qualified students with a B.Tech./ B.E./B.Sc. (4-year degree)/M.Tech./M.E./M.Sc. degree in other disciplines may also be considered. Candidates not holding a master’s degree can obtain an M.Sc. degree by fulfilling the prescribed requirements during their Ph.D. programme.
- For I-Ph.D. : B.Sc. (3-year degree) or any other 3-year degree in Computer Science / Electronics & Communications Engineering / Electrical Engineering or related branches. Exceptionally well-qualified students with a 3-year undergraduate degree (B.Sc.) in related subjects may be considered for the I-Ph.D. programme. Candidates in the I-Ph.D. programme will need to fulfill the requirements for both an M.Sc. and Ph.D.; upon successful completion, they will receive both degrees.
TIFR GS 2022 Application Process
- Eligible candidates can apply online mode only through University website http://univ.tifr.res.in/
- Please follow the appropriate link on this website for filling up the application form. Read the instructions carefully before you start filling up the online application form.
- Students may take the online test in multiple subjects provided the timings do not clash. Please submit separate application/fees for each subject.
- Application Fee can be paid only through online mode.
- For Male Candidates : Rs. 1200/-
- For Female Candidates : Rs. 600/-
- For Others : Rs. 600/-
- Mode of Payment : Online through Internet banking/Debit/Credit Card/UPI or other modes as available on our payment gateway.
- For Ph.D. and I-Ph.D. programmes, the academic year starts from August 1, every year. The academic year for M.Sc. program begins from July 1, every year.
- Ph.D. Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 31,000/- (+ hostel accommodation OR HRA as applicable) enhanced to Rs 35,000/- after registration.
- I-Ph.D. Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 21,000/- (+ hostel accommodation OR HRA as applicable) for the first year. At the end of the first year, upon satisfactory performance, the fellowship is enhanced to Rs 31,000/- per month (further raised to Rs 35,000/- after registration for Ph.D.).
- M.Sc. (Biology) Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 16,000/- (+HRA as applicable).
- M.Sc. (Wildlife Biology & Conservation) Students receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 12,000/- (fixed).
- The admissions procedure (in all subjects, except Science Education) consists of an online test at one of the several nationwide centres, followed by interviews and/or second written test of shortlisted candidates depending on the subject/programme.
- Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews to be held during March-May 2022. Exact dates would be announced later.
- Results of the entrance examination will be announced by end-January, 2022 and students shortlisted for interview will be intimated by email.
- Examination Date : Sunday, December 12, 2021
- Morning Session: 09:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (Physics, Chemistry, Computer & Systems Sciences, Biology (Wildlife & Conservation)
- Afternoon Session: Biology: 02:30 p.m. to 04:30 p.m.
- Mathematics: 02:30 p.m. to 05:30 p.m.
For more information and to apply online, visit the university website