NISER Bhubaneswar PhD Admission 2019-20, Dates, Eligibility, Application
National Institute of Science Education and Research Bhubaneswar announce Phd Admission 2019-20 (Winter Session)
NISER Bhubaneswar PhD Admission 2019-20- National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) Bhubaneswar announces admission to PhD Program 2019-20 (Winter Session).
- Applications are invited from Indian citizens for admission to PhD programme scheduled to commence from 2nd January, 2020 in the following schools of NISER, Bhubaneswar.
- School of Biological Sciences (SBS)
- School of Chemical Sciences (SCS)
- School of Physical Sciences (SPS)
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences (SHSS)
- School of Computer Sciences (SCPS)
- The National Institute of Science Education and Research Is a research institution in Jatani, Odisha. NISER was established in 2007 and achieved a ranking among top research institutes in India.
- Institute offers 5 year integrated Master of Science Programs and Doctoral Programs in Science
- NISER Bhubaneswar has excellent facilities and faculty at par with the top rated institutes in India.
NISER Bhubaneswar PhD Admission 2019-20 Important Dates
- Start date of application: 01st October 2019
- Last date of submitting application: 031st October 2019
- List of shortlisted candidates uploaded on NISER website: 15th November 2019
- Tentative Dates for test/ Interview, at Jatni campus
- School of Biological Sciences: 10th to 12th December 2019
- School of Chemical Sciences: 09th to 10th December 2019
- School of Computer Science: 09th to 10th December 2019
- School of Humanities and Social Science: 29th November 2019
- School of Physical Science: 06th December 2019
- The Semester registration is scheduled to be held on 2nd January 2020
Eligibility Criteria for NISER Bhubaneswar PhD Admission 2019-20
- Biological Sciences: Candidates with 60% or equivalent GPA in M. Tech or Masters in any branches of Biology, Life Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Veterinary Sciences, Computer Sciences, Bioinformatics and Biotechnology. Students with a Master's degree in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics having interest in pursuing a career in Biology are also encouraged to apply.
- Chemical Sciences: Candidates with 60% or equivalent GPA in Masters in Chemistry or allied Chemistry fields; Student with Master's degree in any branches of Basic Sciences with an Undergraduate degree in Chemistry (or chemistry as one of the subjects) or M.Tech in Applied Chemistry or M.Tech in Computer Sciences with an interest in pursuing a career in Chemistry are also encouraged to apply.
- Physical Sciences: Candidates with 60% or equivalent GPA in Master's degree majoring in Physics or M.E./M.Tech in Applied Physics.
- Humanities & Social Sciences: 55% or equivalent GPA in Masters in English/Psychology.
- Computer Sciences: Candidates with 60% or equivalent GPA in Masters in Computer Science, Electrical, Electronics Engineering or related fields, or Mathematics.
Requirement of Qualifying in National Level Exam for Pursuing PhD Program
- Candidates should have qualified at least one of the national level written exams i.e. CSIR-UGC-NET/ GATE/ GPAT/ DBT/ ICMR/ JEST/ JGEEBILS/ ICSSR or any other national level written exam valid for the academic year 2019-20. As per HBNI Ordinance, student having DST INSPIRE Doctoral Fellowship only, without qualifying any such national level written exam will not be considered for admission to PhD program in NISER.
- The cut off marks for national level examinations such as GATE/JEST/CSIR-UGC-NET etc. will be decided separately by each School for the relevant subject area.
- Those who have appeared for CSIR-UGC-NET examination held in June 2019 and awaiting results may also apply. However, such candidates, if shortlisted have to produce the qualifying mark statement of CSIR-UGC-NET Exam on the date of PhD written test/interview, failing which his/her candidature will be rejected automatically.
- Candidates with a GPA in qualifying degree may need to produce the conversion note (in case it is not mentioned in their mark sheet) from their institution towards calculation of percentage.
- The institute fellowship given by NISER is Rs. 31,000/- per month for the first two years, which will subsequently be enhanced to Rs. 35,000/- per month for the remaining three years, subject to the fulfillment of all the requirements of the Institute that will be stipulated from time to time.
- Students with an external fellowship from agencies viz. CSIR, UGC, etc. will be eligible to draw fellowship as per the extant rules of the respective funding agencies.
Research Areas for some schools
School of Biological Sciences
- Study of membrane biogenesis: Mechanism and regulation of nuclear remodeling and role of dynamins and microtubules.
- Molecular Microbiology: Functional significance of membrane proteins and mechanisms underlying bacterial persistence.
- Rational drug discovery, molecular and cellular target validation, Structural bioinformatics and computational biology.
- Neuroendocrine regulation, Neural circuitry of energy balance and reproduction.
- Structure-function studies on terminase complex proteins of herpesviruses.
- Cellular Regulation of morphogenesis and the degradation of complex cell shapes.
- Evolutionary origins, biogeography and systematics of biota within the Indian subcontinent.
- Phylogeography and species diversification patterns.
- Mechanism of membrane remodeling during host-pathogen interactions.
- For more information please visit: https://www.niser.ac.in/sbs/page/faculty-and-area-researchSchool of Humanities & Social Sciences
School of Computer Sciences
- Algorithms focusing on Game Theory, Social Choice theory, and Online Computation, Computational Geometry, Cryptography and Cyber Security, Cyber Physical Systems, Graph Algorithms, Information Theory Machine Learning.
School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- English and Psychology
- The selection committee of the respective schools will short-list the candidates among those who meet the minimum educational qualifications and satisfy additional criteria which each school may set as deemed necessary.
- The short-listed candidates will be called for an interview, supplemented by a written test, if necessary, for the admission.
- Based on the academic record, performance of the candidates in the selection process and availability of fellowship from the institute and/or external funding agencies, the selection committee of the school will recommend candidates to the Chairman, Academic Council for admission to the Ph.D. program.
- All candidates called for the test/interview will be paid to and fro single, second-sleeper class railway fare by the shortest route from their place of residence to the Institute. They have to produce evidence (like railway ticket etc.) in support of their claim.
NISER Bhubaneswar PhD Admission 2020 Application Process
- The application form has to be filled up online at http://www.niser.ac.in and candidates should follow stepwise instructions mentioned to complete the application submission At the time of application, along with this online form, the candidate should upload soft copy of the supporting documents as per the eligibility criteria.
- Candidates intending to apply for more than one school should fill up online application forms for each school and submit separate forms with appropriate supporting documents.
- Two sealed letters of reference in the prescribed format with the signature of the referees on the envelope should be produced by the student at the time of the interview. The format of the reference letter is available here.
- NISER does not demand any application fee from the candidates who apply for the Ph.D program.
For further details on the admission procedure, please visit the website of the NISER website www.niser.ac.in
National Institute of Science Education and Research Bhubaneswar, P.O.-Jatni, Dist-Khurda, Odisha-752050, Phone: 0674-2494004, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Website www.niser.ac.in
Top PhD Entrance Exams in India
Here is al ist of Top PhD Entrance Exams in India. Visit the page to know about Entrance Exam Notifications of Top PhD Courses in India
Why do a Phd? - Reasons, Funding Schemes, Job Prospects
Why do a PhD? - Purpose, Opportunities, Funding Schemes. Check here the list of Important Schemes and Funding Opportunities available to do PhD in India