JEE Main 2020 Exam Dates, Eligibility, Admit card and JEE Main Syllabus
JEE Main 2020 – JEE Main is a national level screening test conducted every year to offer admission in BE/B.Tech and B.Arch/B.Plan Courses in NITs, IIITs and CFTIs. JEE Main 2020 exam will be organized by NTA (National Testing Agency) twice in a year in the month of January and April in an online mode (Computer Based Test).
Registrations for JEE Main 2020 for the April exam will be available from 07th February 2020 to 06th March 2020 (Upto 11.50 pm) extended to March 12, 2020
To know all about the JEE Main 2020 exam process, dates, salient features, pattern, syllabus and more, read the page below.
About JEE (Main) 2020
- The JEE (Main) 2020 will be conducted twice in a year for admission into B.E, B.Tech, B.Plan and B.Arch programs. This will give one more opportunity to the student to improve their scores in examination if they fail to give their best in first attempt without wasting their whole academic year.
- In first attempt, the students will get a first-hand experience of taking an exam and to know their mistakes which they can improve while attempting for the second time.
- This will reduce chances of dropping a year and droppers would not have to waste a full year.
- If anyone missed the examination due to reasons beyond control, then he/she won’t have to wait for one full year.
- The first attempt of JEE (Main) 2020 was held in January 2020 whereas the second attempt will be held in April 2020
- The Exam will be in 8 sittings. Candidates have to select any one date, out of the 8 available dates to appear in the exam.
- A candidate may choose to appear in any one exam in a year or both the exams in a year. The best marks out of both the exam will be used for preparing the admission list/AIR.
- Though for admission into IITs and ISM Dhanbad candidates are required to qualify both JEE Main and JEE Advanced Examination
Also See : New JEE Main Exam Pattern for 2020
Details of JEE Main 2020
- Name of Examination:Joint Entrance Examination Main
- Commonly Known As:JEE Main
- Conducting Body: National Testing Agency (NTA)
- Examination Level: National Level
- Category: Undergraduate Examination
- Mode of Examination: Computer based test
- Number of Attempts: Twice in a year
- Duration of Exam:3 Hours
For April 2020 Exam
- Online Submission of Application Form 07th February 2020 to 06th March 2020 (Upto 11.50 pm) extended to March 12, 2020
- Successful Transaction of Fee 12 March 2020 (through Credit Card/Debit Card/Net banking/UPI/PayTM Service upto 11.50 pm)
- Make corrections in particulars make corrections in particulars will be available from March 13 to 16, 2020 (up to 11:50 pm) March 13 to 16, 2020 (up to 11:50 pm)
- Dates of Examination between
05th April 2020, 07th April 2020 to 09th April 2020 & 11th April 2020extended to September 1 to 6, 2020
- Declaration of Result on NTA’s website by 30th April 2020
Also See : Number of Attempts in JEE Main 2020 exam?
Eligibility criteria of jee main 2020
- Candidates must ensure their eligibility before applying for the JEE Main exam. Candidates can check the eligibility criteria from below:
Date of Birth
- Only those candidates whose date of birth falls on or after October 01, 1994 are eligible. However, in the case of SC, ST and Persons with Disabilities (PwD) candidates, upper age limit is relaxed by 5 years, i.e. SC, ST and PwD candidates who are born on or after 01st October 1990 are eligible
- Date of birth as recorded in the Secondary Education Board/University certificate will only be considered
Year of Appearance in Qualifying Exam (QE):
- Only those candidates who have passed their Class 12th Exam or any equivalent qualifying exam in 2018 or 2019, or those who are appearing in their class 12th exam or any equivalent qualifying exam in 2020 are eligible to appear in jee (main) 2020
- candidates who passed class 12th/qualifying exam in 2017 or before as well as those who will appear in such exam in 2021 or later are not eligible to appear in jee (main) 2020
No. of Subjects in the Qualifying Exam (QE):
- Candidates must have taken at least five subjects in class 12th/ qualifying exam in order to be eligible for writing JEE (Main) 2020 The candidates who have taken four subjects are not permitted to write JEE (Main) 2020 and if such candidates appear in JEE (Main) 2020 by furnishing wrong information, their rank/result will not be declared.
Score & Result for JEE (Main) 2020
- The score and rank of Paper-I of JEE (Main) 2020 for all candidates will be declared by 01st week of April 2020. This score shall comprise the actual marks obtained in Paper-I of JEE (Main)-2020 along with the status of those who qualify for appearing in JEE (Advanced)-2020 provided and subject to other conditions of eligibility being met. The rank shall comprise All India rank and All India category rank.
- No score/rank card will be dispatched to the candidates and the candidates are advised to download their score/rank cards from the JEE (Main) Website http://jeemain.nic.in only
Eligibility for NITs, IIITs & CFTIs participating through Seat Allocation Board:
- Admission to NITs, IIITs & CFTIs participating though Central Seat Allocation Board will be based on All India Rank as explained above in section 2.10 subject to the condition that the candidate should have secured at least 75% marks in the 12th class exam or be in the top 20% in the 12th class exam conducted by the respective Boards
- For SC/ST candidates the qualifying marks would be 65% in the 12th class exam
- Subject combinations required in the qualifying exam for admission to B.E./B. Tech. & B. Arch./B. Planning Courses in NITs, IIITs, and other CFTIs shall be as under.
- For B.E. /B Tech – Required Criteria based on Class 12th/Equivalent qualifying Exam, passed 10+2 exam with physics and mathematics as compulsory subjects along with one of the chemistry/biotechnology/biology/technical vocational subjects.
- b.arch./b.planning– passed 10+2 examination with mathematics.
Number of Seats in various Institutions:
- For all admission related procedures/queries, the candidates are advised to refer the website of JoSAA, Central Seat Allocation Board (CSAB) or the concerned State Govt. /Institute after declaration of ranks of JEE (Main) 2020
Reservation of Seats
- As per Govt. of India rules candidates belonging to certain categories are admitted to seats reserved for them based on relaxed criteria. These categories are:
- OBC if they belong to Non-Creamy Layer (NCL) – 27%
- SC – 15%
- ST – 7.5%
- PwD with 40% or more disability – 03% Horizontal
- Benefit of reservation for admission to NITs/IIITs and CFTIs shall be given only to those classes/castes/tribes which are in the respective central list published by the Govt of India
- For admission to State Engineering colleges who have opted for admission through JEE (Main) 2020, the reservation rules of that state shall apply
Scheme of Exam of JEE (Main) 2020
- JEE Main 2020 exam will be conducted for three papers instead of two papers.
- Separate exam will be conducted for those students who wish to pursue B.Planning in only one shift.
- The total number of questions has been reduced from 264 to 233.
- JEE Main 2020 exam will now also include numerical questions along with MCQ questions.
Type of Exam
- JEE (Main) 2020 exam shall have three papers, Paper-1 (B. E. /B. Tech.), Paper-2 (B. Arch) and Paper 3 (B. Planning). Candidates may take Paper-1 (B. E. /B. Tech.) or Paper-2 (B. Arch or Paper 3 (B.Planning.) or all 3 papers as per the course(s) they wish to take admission to.
- Type of Questions (Paper 1): Objective Type – Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- Type of Questions (Paper 2): Mathematics and aptitude section will be of objective type questions and drawing test will be subjective to be attempted on drawing sheet.
- Types of Questions (Paper 3): Objective Type – Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- The medium of Question Paper shall be in English, Hindi and Gujarati. The option of question paper language should be exercised while filling up the Application Form and it cannot be changed at a later stage
- Four marks will be provided for each correct answer.
- In MCQ questions, for every wrong answer or multiple answers for a question, One mark will be deducted.
No. of Questions
No. of Questions
No. of Marks
No. of Questions
No. of Marks
No. of Questions
No. of Marks
JEE Main Syllabus 2020
- The JEE Main syllabus will contain topics from the 11th and 12th class of CBSE, ICSE and other state boards. Syllabus for paper 1 will contain physics, chemistry and mathematics.
- Paper 2 syllabus will contain mathematics, aptitude and drawing sections. The detailed JEE Main 2020 syllabus is given below:
JEE Main Paper 1 Syllabus:
- Mathematics: Sets, relations and functions, Matrices and determinants, Mathematical induction, Sequences and series, Integral calculus, Binomial theorem and its simple applications, Vector algebra, Statistics and probability, Trigonometry, Complex numbers and quadratic equations, Mathematical reasoning, Permutations and combinations, etc.
- Physics: Physics and measurement, Thermodynamics, Rotational motion, Laws of motion, Electronic devices, Oscillations and waves, Current electricity, Electromagnetic induction and alternating currents, Optics, Electrostatics, Kinematics, Work, energy and power, Gravitation, Properties of solids and liquids, Kinetic theory of gases, etc.
- Chemistry: Physical Chemistry: Some basic concepts in chemistry, Atomic structure, Chemical thermodynamics, Equilibrium, Chemical kinetics, States of matter, Chemical bonding and molecular structure, etc.
- Organic Chemistry: Purification and characterisation of organic compounds, Chemistry in everyday life, Organic compounds containing halogens, Organic compounds containing nitrogen, Some basic principles of organic chemistry, etc.
- Inorganic Chemistry: Classification of elements and periodicity in properties, Block elements (alkali and alkaline earth metals), D – and f – block elements, Environmental chemistry, Hydrogen, Block elements group 13 to group 18 elements, etc.
JEE Main Paper 2 Syllabus:
- Part I: Awareness of persons, places, Buildings, Materials, Visualising three dimensional objects from two dimensional drawings, Visualising, Analytical Reasoning Mental Ability (Visual, Numerical and Verbal), etc.
- Part II: Understanding and appreciation of scale and proportion of objects, building forms and elements, colour texture, harmony and contrast, Transformation of forms both 2 D and 3 D union, subtraction, rotation, creating two dimensional and three-dimensional compositions using given shapes and forms, etc.
JEE Main Admit Card 2020
- Registered candidates will be able to access the admit card of JEE Main 2020 for the April exam tentatively in March 2020 through the dates are yet to be notified. The admit card will consist of all the details regarding the examination venue, timings, roll number, personal details of the candidates and more
- JEE Main 2020 admit card is an important document because the candidates will have to present it while reporting for exam at the allotted centre. Inability to produce the admit card may lead to disqualification of the candidate
- Along with the admit card, the candidates will also have to take a photo id proof (College/ School ID Card, Driving License, Passport) to the exam centre.
- The admit card for JEE Main 2020 April exam will be tentatively available in March. The process will be the same for both January and April exams as given below.
JEE Main Counselling 2020
- After the releasing of result, the board will announce the detailed schedule of JEE Main 2020 counselling. Separate schedules will be announced for All India Rank and state level counselling.
- Counselling process will be organized from the third week of June 2020
- JEE Main 2020 counselling will be conducted through online mode. A centralized counselling will be organized by JoSAA and CSAB in different rounds
- To appear in the counselling, candidates will have to register themselves. After that candidates have to fill their preferences of colleges and courses. On the basis of filled choices, rank, category and seats availability, a provisional seat allotment will be announced.
Application Fee Payable [For Exam Centre Opted]
For Paper-1 (B.E./B.Tech.) OR Paper-2 (B. Arch/ B. Planning)
- General/ OBC (Non-creamy layer): Boys – Rs.500/- in India & Rs.2000/- Outside India; and Girls – Rs.250/- in India & Rs.1000/- Outside India.
- SC/ST/PwD/ Transgender: Boys – Rs.250/- in India & Rs.1000/- Outside India; and Girls – Rs.250/- in India & Rs.1000/- Outside India.
For Both Paper-I (B.E. /B. Tech) and Paper-2 (B. Arch/ B. Planning)
- General/ OBC (Non-creamy layer): Boys – Rs.900/- in India & Rs.3000/- Outside India and Girls – Rs.450/- in India & Rs.1500/- Outside India.
- SC/ST/PwD/ Transgender: Boys – Rs.450/- in India & Rs.1500/- Outside India and Girls – Rs.450/- in India & Rs.1500/- Outside India.
- Application Form will be released from 07th February 2020 to 06th March 2020 (Upto 11.50 pm) (April exam).
- Candidates have to apply for JEE (Main)-2020 Online ONLY by accessing the website www.jeemain.nic.in. The Application Form other than online mode would not be accepted, in any case. Only one application is to be submitted by a candidate. More than one application i.e. Multiple application forms submitted by a candidate will be rejected.
- It is suggested that you have the following ready before starting the filling of the application form:
- A computer with good Internet connectivity
- All your qualification details
- Scanned clear passport photograph in JPG/JPEG format (size between 10 kb–200 kb) (For First Timers)
- Scanned clear signature in JPG/JPEG format (size between 4 kb–30 kb) (For First Timers)
- A valid email Id as all communication will be made on this email Id
- A valid mobile number as all information via SMS will be sent to this number
- A valid debit/credit card or Net banking account if you want to pay ONLINE
- A printer connected to your system to print e-challan and confirmation page
- Download information Bulletin. Read it carefully to ensure your eligibility and acquaint with the requirements for submission of Online Application Form.
Steps to Apply Online
- Step-1: Register for Online Application Form and note down system generated Application Number. The candidate should enter all the details while filling the Online Application Form and should create PASSWORD and choose Security Question and enter his/her Answer. After successful submission of the personal details, Application number will be generated, and it will be used to complete the remaining Steps of the Application Form.
- Step-2: Complete the Application Form Candidate can login with the system generated Application Number and created Password for completing the Application Form.
- Step-3: Upload Scanned Images of Candidate Photograph and Candidate Signature. 1. Scanned photograph and signature should be in JPG/JPEG format. 2. Size of scanned photograph should be between 10 kb to 200 kb. 3. Size of scanned signature should be between 4 kb to 30 kb.
- Upload the correct Photograph and Signature as the facility for correction in images will not be given.
- Step-4: Payment by Debit/Credit Card/Net Banking/e-Challan: The candidate has to select Debit card/Credit card/Net banking/e-challan option to pay the application fee and follow the online instructions to complete the payment of fee.
|JEE Main 2020 Exam Centres|
- The exam centres of JEE Main 2020 are the venues where the entrance exam is conducted by NTA. The exam centres of JEE Main 2020 have to be selected by the candidates while filling the online application form
- All details regarding the exam centre will be available in the admit card. The details of the exam centres will be announced by NTA soon.