Accept, except – These words are homophones. They share the same pronunciation while the spellings and meanings differ. Here in this article, students can check out the difference between these confusing words in English – accept and except. Check out the meanings of homophones – accept and except. See example sentences on accept and except. Practise sentences on these homophones and check your answers from the answer key given at the end.
Meanings of accept and except
Accept means to receive, give consent, believe or recognize something to be correct.
Example sentences with accept-
1. She accepted her mistake.
2. The bride accepted the gifts.
Except means to exclude, not including something; other than.
Example sentences with except-
1. Except Rama all were present in the room.
2. I like all the dresses except the black one.
In the following sentences choose the correct option out of accept and except. Check the answers from the answer key given at the end-
1. Kindly accept/ except my gratitude.
2. All, accept/ except Rita agreed to the proposal.
3. You are requested to accept/ except this gift.
4. I picked up everything accept/ except the apples.
5. Accept/ Except and eat whatever you want.
6. The manager accepted/ excepted our suggestion and promised to implement it soon.
7. Reema accepted/ excepted the new offer.
8. She gave toffees to all her friends accept/ except Manju and her sister.
9. The scientist barely talked except / accept on the topic of his invention.
10. She accepted / excepted her mistake and apologised with a smile.