National level Entrance Exams for M.Pharm Admission 2019
Top M.Pharm Entrance Exam – The Indian Pharmaceutical scenario demands the students to adapt well into the skilled community and have their fundamentals solidified. Most of the company recruitment into the most favored positions like Quality Control, Quality Assurance, R&D, consultancy, management etc. require the candidate to have at least an M.Pharm Degree as a minimum prerequisite. There is an upsurge in the interest of the millions of junior B.Pharm graduates in giving national-level examinations to secure the position of an M.Pharm student in the top Universities of the nation, to successfully join the industry. Some of the top M.Pharm examinations are described below, which will cover the important central level entrances. We will be considering only the top 20 Universities/institutes of the nation, which accepts these results and provide an active M.Pharm curriculum and research work. The rankings are based on a thorough analysis of all the parameters, which includes research output, infrastructure, placements etc. and is published by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) HRD Ministry, Govt. of India.
National Level Entrance Exams
Considered to be the most frequently sought after examination among all fresh and experienced graduates, the Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test (GPAT) is synonyms to the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) in many ways. Before 2010, GATE was the only means for the applicants to secure a scholarship and admission. The following year All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), MHRD, in association with M S Baroda University initiated independent GPAT exams. As of 2019, the baton of charge has been passed down to the National Testing Agency (NTA) India.
The test aims to screen the best of the candidates for selection for M.Pharm in the top Pharmacy colleges of the nation, clearing which provides them scholarships and stipend of Rs. 12,400 per month to support their academic and research work.
- Eligibility Requirements: The nationality of the candidates must be Indian. They should hold a B.Pharm degree in Pharmacy or should be in the final semester of their B.Pharm year. Those with Technical degrees in Pharmaceutical and Fine Chemical Technology are not eligible. Also, there is no age barrier to giving this test.
- Subjects covered: Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmaceutics, Pharmacology, Pharmacognosy, Pharmaceutical Analysis, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Pathophysiology, Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics, Physical Pharmacy, Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Pharmaceutical Engineering, Pharmaceutical Management, Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence, and Dispensing and Hospital Pharmacy
- Important dates: Application submission is usually from 1st till 30th November, while the deadline for uploading photo and sign will go till 1st December, the same year. The examination is conducted towards the last week of January the following year. The test results will be announced the following month near the end of the first week.
Top 10 colleges accepting GPAT score: Jamia Hamdard, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER), University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Institute of Chemical Technology – Mumbai, Poona College of Pharmacy, Erandwane – Pune, JSS College of Pharmacy, Dr. Harisingh Gour Vishwavidyalaya-Sagar, Delhi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, and Bombay College of Pharmacy.
Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences is ranked among the top 5 Pharmacy colleges across the nation and accepts its fresh M.Pharm students through the Manipal Entrance Test which is conducted across various centers in the nation. Some of the important highlights of this exam include:
- Eligibility Requirements: Indian citizen and foreign/Non-Resident Indian citizen can apply for the exam. Candidate must have completed B.Pharm degree from an accredited institution recognized by the Pharmacy Council of India with a minimum mark of 50% including all Semesters.
- Subjects covered: Pharmaceutical Analysis, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmacology, Pharmacy Practise, Pharmacognosy, Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Marketing, Management and Jurisprudence, Biochemistry, Pathology, Physiology, Microbiology, and Biotechnology.
Important dates – The acceptance of applications for MET starts towards the last week of March. Other information regarding the test schedule will be updated.
BITS HD Examination
The Birla Institute of Technology (BITs) offers exemplary M.Pharm programme in its campus at Hyderabad, giving specialization in Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Pharmaceutics. It is among the top 10 institutes in India promoting rich Pharmacy research culture. The programmes offered are usually interdisciplinary and shares boundaries with other Engineering stream. The recruitment process adopted by this Institute in admitting students for M.Pharm is through:
- GPAT score
- Online BITS Higher Degree (BITS HD) test conducted by BITS Pilani across many parts of the nation
BITS HD exams are conducted to screen the candidates effectively along with the GPAT score, where both the exams are given 50% weight in terms of seats available. The admission team will take both the scores into consideration and will make a cut-off for each exam, based on the number of applications received and the seats remaining. Some important highlights of the exam include:
- Eligibility Requirements: A minimum of 60% of parks is required from an Undergraduate degree. All Indian citizen is eligible to apply for the exam. Candidates also in their final year of B.Pharm can also apply for the exam.
- Subjects covered: The exam consists of two levels. The first level comprised of questions from core mathematics (which includes functions, calculus, statistics, probability etc.), core physics (covering momentum, work-energy theorem, Electrostatics, Magnetism etc.), English Language skills and Principles of Management (vocabulary, grammar, Precis writing, letter writing etc.), and Computer Programming (data handling, Arrays, functions, structures etc.). The next level of examination will cover topics like Natural Drugs, Phytochemistry, Pharmacognosy, and Anatomy Physiology & Hygiene, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmaceutical & Instrumental methods of Analysis, Pharmacology & Toxicology, Pharmaceutical Microbiology & Biochemistry, Forensic Pharmacy & Quality Control Management, Industrial & Physical Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Formulations & Biopharmaceutics, and Dispensing Pharmacy.
- Important dates: The application forms will be made available towards the beginning of the second week of April for the same year. The last date of submission will be around the first week of May. The exams are conducted towards mid-May, after which the results are declared towards the end of the month.
SRM Entrance Exam
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Tamil Nadu has stood out among the Pharmacy colleges across India, with its renowned education style and research environment. It ranks among the top 10 Pharmacy colleges across the nation and takes its entrants via SRM Joint Entrance Examination (SRM JEE) for Health Sciences. Some of the critical aspects of these exams are as follows:
- Eligibility Requirements: Candidate must be an Indian citizen, and should have secured B.Pharm degree with at least 55% marks overall.
- Subjects covered: Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Analysis, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmacology, Pharmacy Practise, Pharmacognosy, Quality Assurance, and Regulatory Affairs.
- Important dates: The deadline for the online submission of the application form is usually around the last week of March. The exams are conducted towards the mid of April, the results of which are announced towards the first week of May.
Bharati Vidyapeeth Pharmacy (BVP) College conducts the annual All India Entrance Test titled “PHARMPG”, which is accepted in Poona College of Pharmacy as well. The exams are held at different centers across the nation, mainly in Pune, New Delhi and Mumbai. Some of the highlights if the exam is:
- Eligibility Requirements: Candidates must be Indian Citizen and should have secured a B.Pharm degree with at least 55% marks overall. Those in their final year of B.Pharm curriculum can also appear for the test. The admission will be strictly on the basis of merit in different categories.
- Subjects covered: Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmaceutics, Pharmacology, Pharmacognosy, and Pharmaceutical Biotechnology.
- Important dates: The last date for submission of application form is on 30th May for this year. The entrance will be held on 16th June and the results will be declared on 29th of the same month.
Those who cleared GPAT will receive an additional scholarship from AICTE.
Annamalai University conducts its very own All India Medical Entrance Exam for Pharmacy students, called AU AIMEE, for M.Pharm and other degree programs. Annamalai University is ranked among the top 15 Pharmacy colleges across the nation and boasts some of the finest research facilities across the nation. The exams are highly competitive and stringent rules:
- Eligibility Requirements: Candidate must be an Indian citizen and should have a B.Pharm degree at hand or should be in their final semester of B.Pharm studies, the former of which should possess at least 50% marks. Candidate must have Physics and Chemistry in their Higher Secondary School curriculum and passed these subjects along with Maths or Botany or Biology or Zoology. Those possessing a D.Pharm degree can only apply if their respective college has been approved by the Pharmacy Council of India.
- Subjects covered: The test is composed of two parts. The first part covers Biology and Zoology, while the second part covers Physics and Chemistry.
- Important dates: The online applications start by the 1st week of May and will close by the last week of the same month. The exam date is around the first week of June, and the results are made public towards the first week of July.
NIPER Entrance Exams
The National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER), Hyderabad, annually conducts its own unique Entrance exams for only the GPAT qualified students to get admitted into their prestigious M.Pharm programs. NIPER’s are the pioneer institutions in the country in promoting rich pharmacy culture and development, with the Mohali campus been ranked the best Pharmacy college in India. The following briefs the exam prerequisites:
- Eligibility Requirements: The candidates must possess a B.Pharm degree in respective discipline according to the course for which they are applying. They must have secured at least 60% marks or equivalent 6.75 CGPA in their B.Pharm. They must also have written and qualified GPAT.
- Subjects covered: Natural Products, Stereochemistry, Pharmaceutical Analysis, Biotechnology & Biochemistry, Gene Expression, Cloning, Chemistry, Aptitude, Pharmacology, and Phytochemistry.
- Important dates: The online registration process starts from the 12th April this year and closes by the end of May. The exam date is fixed on 10th June, the results of which will be declared on the 1st week of July.
The link below will open the main webpage of NIPER JEE: