Stationary and Stationery- These words are homophones. They share the same pronunciation while the spellings and meanings differ. Here in this article, students can check out the difference between these confusing words in English – stationary and stationery. Check out the meanings of homophones – stationary and stationery. See example sentences on stationary and stationery. Practise sentences on these homophones and check your answers from the answer key given at the end.
Meanings of stationary and stationery
It means fixed, at rest, not moving.
Example sentences with stationary–
- He rides a stationary bicycle at the gym.
- The Sun is a star, it remains stationary.
- The pole and the bench are stationary.
It means goods that are related to writing like paper, pencil, pen, eraser, envelope.
Example sentences with stationery-
- I bought new stationery for the next session.
- I have to visit the stationery shop.
Chosse the correct option for each sentence. You can check the answers from the answer key given at the end-
1. He hit a stationary/stationery car in the street.
2. The stationer keeps all the stationary/stationery items.
3. I don’t like stationary/stationery toys.
4. He loves to play and ride on stationary/stationery things.
5. I need to check my stationary/stationery stock.
6. The checker checked all the stationary/stationery in the school tuck shop.
7. Stationary/Stationery cars must be parked with care as bikers are very careless.
8. We shall visit the stationary/stationery shop to buy something good as a gift for our friend.
9. The Sun is stationary / stationery while the planets are not so.
10. The bus hit the stationary / stationery pole and it got uprooted.