NTA notifies National Eligibility Test – UGC NET December 2023 Examination
UGC NET December 2023 – National Testing Agency (NTA) on behalf of the University Grants Commission (UGC) has released the notification for the National Eligibility Test (NET) 2023 December Examination. The examination is conducted to determine the eligibility of Indian nationals for ‘Assistant Professor’ and ‘Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor’ in Indian universities and colleges.
UGC NET 2023 December Examination
UGC NET 2023 December Dates
Candidates interested to apply for UGC NET 2023 December exam must keep in mind the important dates which are given below-
- Online registration and submission of Application Form (complete in all respect) through NTA Website: 30th September to 28th October 2023
- Last date for successful transaction of Examination fee (through Credit Card/ Debit Card/Net Banking/UPI Payment Modes: 29th October 2023
- Correction in the Particulars of Application Form online only: 30th – 31st October 2023
- Intimation of Cities of Exam Centres: To be Intimated Later
- Downloading of Admit Card by the Candidate from NTA Website: To be Intimated Later
- Dates of Examination: 06th December 2023 to 22nd December 2023
- Duration of Exam: 180 minutes (03 hours)
- Timing of Exam First Shift: 09.00 am to 12.00 pm
- Second Shift: 03.00 pm to 06.00 pm
- Display of Recorded Responses and Provisional Answer Keys on the Website for inviting challenge(s) from interested candidates: To be announced later on website
- Declaration of Result on NTA Website: 10th January 2024
Eligibility Criteria for UGC NET 2023
It is crucial for students to ensure their eligibility to apply for UGC NET 2023. Check out the important eligibility criteria we have listed down.
Age Limit and Relaxation for JRF
- JRF: Not more than 30 years as on 1st day of the month in which the examination is concluded i.e. 01.12.2023
- A relaxation of up to 5 years is provided to the candidates belonging to OBC-NCL (as per the Central list of OBC available on website: www.ncbc.nic.in)/SC/ST/PwD/Third gender categories and to women applicants.
- Relaxation will also be provided to the candidates with research experience, limited to the period spent on research in the relevant / related subject of post-graduation degree, subject to a maximum of 5 years, on production of a certificate from appropriate authority, which should be a recognized Indian university / Institute of National Importance / foreign university which is duly approved / recognized / accredited in its own Country / Public Sector Undertaking of Government of India / State Government in India. The research should not have been carried out towards completion of graduation or post-graduation degree(s). Three years relaxation in age will be permissible to the candidates with L.L.M. degree. A relaxation of upto 5 years is provided to the candidates who have served in the armed forces subject to the length of service in the armed forces up to the first day of the month in which the concerned UGC-NET is conducted, i.e., 01.12.2023.
- Total age relaxation on the above ground(s) shall not exceed five years under any circumstances..
For Assistant Professor
- There is no upper age limit for applying for Assistant Professor
- General/Unreserved/General-EWS candidates who have secured at least 55% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s Degree or equivalent examination from universities/institutions recognized by UGC (available on the website: www.ugc.ac.in in Humanities and Social Science (including languages), Computer Science and Applications, Electronic Science etc. are eligible for this Test. List of subjects at Postgraduate level is available in an information brochure.
- The Other Backward Classes (OBC) belonging to Non-Creamy Layer/Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST)/Persons with Disability (PwD)/Third gender category candidates who have secured at least 50% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s degree or equivalent examination are eligible for this Test.
- Candidates who are pursuing their Master’s degree or equivalent course or candidates who have appeared for their qualifying Master’s degree (final year) examination and whose result is still awaited or candidates whose qualifying examinations have been delayed may also apply for this test. However, such candidates will be admitted provisionally and shall be considered eligible for award of JRF/eligibility for Assistant Professor only after they have passed their Master’s Degree or equivalent examination with at least 55% marks (50% marks in case of OBC-NCL/ SC / ST / PwD / Third gender category candidates). Such candidates must complete their Master’s degree or equivalent examination within two years from the date of NET result with required percentage of marks, failing which they shall be treated as disqualified.
- Candidates belonging to the Third gender category are eligible to draw the same relaxation in fee, age and Eligibility Criteria for NET (i.e. JRF and Assistant Professor) as are available to SC/ST/PwD categories. The subject-wise qualifying cut-offs for this category would be the lowest among those for SC / ST / PwD / OBC–NCL / General-EWS categories in the corresponding subject.
- The Ph.D. degree holders whose Master’s level examination have been completed by 19 September 1991 (irrespective of date of declaration of result) shall be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks (i.e. from 55% to 50%) for appearing in NET. The list of Post-Graduation courses and their codes is given at Appendix-VI in the information brochure.
- Candidates are advised to appear in the subject of their Post-Graduation only. The candidates, whose Post Graduation subject is not covered in the list of NET subjects attached as Appendix -V, may appear in a related subject.
- Candidates with post-graduate diploma/certificate awarded by Indian University/ Institute or foreign degree/diploma/certificate awarded by the foreign University/ institute should in their own interest, ascertain the equivalence of their diploma/degree/ certificate with Master’s degree of recognized Indian universities from Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi (www.aiu.ac.in)..
Exemption (Eligibility for Assistant Professor)
- NET/SET/SLET shall remain the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professors in Universities/Colleges/ Institutions. In this regard, exemption from NET/SET/SLET will be governed by UGC regulations and amendments notified in the Gazette of India from time to time.
- The candidates who have passed the UGC/CSIR/ JRF examination prior to 1989 are also exempted from appearing in NET.
- For SET Candidates: The candidates who have cleared the States Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for Assistant Professor held prior to 1st June 2002, are exempted from appearing in NET, and are eligible to apply for Assistant Professor anywhere in India. For SET held from 1st June 2002 onwards, the qualified candidates are eligible to apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in the universities/colleges situated in the State from where they have cleared their SET..
How to apply for UGC NET 2023 December Exam – Application Process
Candidates can follow the detailed step-by-step application process mentioned below for apply for UGC NET 2023
- Candidates can apply for UGC-NET December 2023 in “Online” mode only.
- Submission of Online Application Form may be done by accessing the NTA website www.ntanet.nic.in & https://ugcnet.nta.nic.in/
- Only one application is to be submitted by a candidate. More than one application i.e. multiple Application Forms submitted by a candidate will not be accepted.
- Candidates must read carefully the Instructions (including how to fill up the Application Form online) given in the Information Bulletin available on the NTA Website
Steps to Apply Online:
- Step-1 – Register for Online Registration using your own Email ID and Mobile No. and note down system generated Application Number.
- Step-2 – Complete the Online Application Form and note down the system generated Application Number.
- Step-3 – Upload legible scanned images of: (i) a recent photograph (in jpg/ jpeg file, size 10 Kb – 200 Kb) either in colour or black & white with 80% face (without mask) visible including ears against white background; (ii) candidate’s signature (file size: 4kb – 30kb);
- Step-4 – Pay fee using the Payment Gateway(s)/Payment Modes of concerned Banks/Paytm integrated to the Online Application and keep proof of fee paid.
- All the 4 Steps can be done together or at separate timings.
- For General/Unreserved Candidates – Rs. 1150/-
- For Gen-EWS / OBC-NCL Candidates – Rs. 600/-
- For SC/ST/ PwD Candidates – Rs. 325/-
- Mode of Payment – Online (through Credit Card/ Debit Card/Net Banking & Paytm Payment Modes
UGC NET 2023 Exam Pattern
In order to prepare for the exam, candidates are suggested to go through the UGC NET2023 exam pattern.
- The Test will consist of two papers. Both the papers will consist of objective type, multiple choice questions. There will be no break between papers.
- Mode of Exam: Computer Based Test (CBT) mode
- Dates of Exam: 06 December 2023 to 22 December 2023
- No break between Paper 1 & Paper 2
- Timing of Exam: First Shift: 09.00 am to 12.00 pm; Second Shift: 03.00 pm to 06.00 pm
- Question Paper Language: English & Hindi only
- Duration of Exam: 03 hours (180 minutes) without any break
- Types of Questions: Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- No. of Questions: Paper I – 150 questions: Paper II – 100 questions
- Total Marks: Paper I – 100 Marks: Paper II – 200 Marks
- Marking Scheme: Each question carries 02 (two) marks. For each correct response, the candidate will get 02 (two) marks.
- Negative Marking: There is no negative marking for incorrect response.
UGC NET 2023 Subject & Syllabus of Test
Syllabus is an additional asset that candidates may use for effective preparations. Candidates can check the syllabus given below:
- Paper I – The questions in Paper I intend to assess the teaching/ research aptitude of the candidate. It will primarily be designed to test reasoning ability, reading comprehension, divergent thinking and general awareness of the candidate. Paper-I is compulsory for all
- Paper II – This is based on the subject selected by the candidate and will assess domain knowledge. There are total of 83 subjects. Syllabi for all NET Subjects can be downloaded from the UGC website: https://www.ugcnetonline.in/syllabus-new.php
UGC NET 2023 Admit Card
- Candidate has to download the Admit Card from the NTA website and appear for the Exam at the given Centre on date, shift, time and discipline as indicated in his/her Admit Card
- In case a candidate is unable to download Admit Card from the website, he/she may approach the Help Line of NTA between 09:30 am to 5:30 pm or write to NTA at: [email protected]
For more detail and to apply online visit the official website
- Latest Entrance Exam Notification and Dates 2023
- Medical Entrance Exam 2023
- Engineering Entrance Exam 2023
- MBA Entrance Exams 2023