UGC announces PG Merit Scholarship Scheme for University Rank Holders 2019-20 for PG Programs
UGC PG Merit Scholarship for University Rank Holders 2019 – The University Grants Commission (UGC), Government of India, invites applications from the first and second rank holders of graduation courses across the country. The scholarship aims to encourage talented girls and boys towards postgraduate education and assist them in their expenses.
See: National Scholarship 2019
- Higher Education has played a very vital role in the history of nation building all over the world. It is amply clear that no rise in general standards of living and culture is possible without strengthening the higher education system in the country. It obviously calls for a multipronged strategy.
- There is a need to modernize our higher education system, and equally important to continuously attract young and talented students to pursue higher education. It is being increasingly observed that the brighter lot is not pursuing Post-Graduate education in our institutions of higher learning.
See: Scholarships 2019
- The objectives of the scheme are:
- To promote and nurture talent; To reward meritorious students with outstanding performance at the Undergraduate level for pursuing postgraduate studies.
- To promote study in basic courses at the undergraduate level. Professional courses are not covered under the scheme.
- To build up academic excellence at postgraduate level across the colleges and universities in the country.
UGC PG Merit Scholarship for University Rank Holders 2019 Important Dates
- Scholarship closing date: 31st October 2019
- Last date for defective verification: 15th November 2019
- Last date for institute verification: 15th November 2019
Eligibility Criteria for UGC PG Merit Scholarship for University Rank Holders 2019
- The scholarship is available to the student for first PG Degree only.
- Age limit for the students is 30 years at the time of admission in PG course.
- Distance mode of education will not be considered under the scheme.
- The Undergraduate courses from following streams have been identified for the award of scholarships: 1. Life Sciences 2. Physical Sciences 3. Chemical Sciences 4. Earth Sciences 5. Mathematical Sciences 6. Social Sciences 7. Commerce 8. Languages
- Before verifying applications of students the concerned Universities may ensure that applicants satisfy all norms as per guidelines.
- The first and second rank holders (Not position holders) would be considered from Universities/ Institutions and non-affiliated/ autonomous colleges according to the number of students who have appeared in the examination at undergraduate level as per following table.
- Affiliating Universities (State/ Central): 100; Deemed Universities/ Private Universities / 25 Autonomous Colleges / Non-affiliated colleges.
No. of Scholarship
Tenure of scholarship: Two years
Nature of Assistance Available
- Amount of fellowship: Rs.3,100/- p.m for a period of two years only i.e. full duration of a PG course. No other additional grant will be payable in lieu of hostel charges and medical charges etc.
- The student who is awarded Postgraduate Scholarship for University Rank Holders will not be debarred from accepting any other scholarships.
See: National Scholarship Portal
UGC PG Merit Scholarship for University Rank Holders 2019 Application Process
- Applications will be invited once a year on the National Scholarship Portal of the Government of India, visit the homepage of the NSP website www.scholarships.gov.in. Short notification will also be uploaded on the UGC website.
- Incomplete applications will be summarily rejected. Only verified online applications will be considered for award of scholarship.
- The concerned University/ Institute should verify that the applicant is a first or second rank holder out of the specified total number of students who appeared in the examination at the undergraduate level as specified in the guidelines.
UGC, New Delhi
University Grants Commission, Bhadur Shah Zafar Marg, New Delhi-110 002, website www.ugc.ac.in