LLB Full Form | Full Form of LLB
LLB Full Form – The Full form of LLB is Bachelor of Legislative Law. LLB or Legum Baccalaureus in Latin commonly known as Bachelor of Laws originating in England is an undergraduate degree in law and offered in most common law countries like India. The abbreviation LLB is commonly known as Bachelor of Legislative Law in India.
LLB is basically an undergraduate degree offered across the globe by various universities to students who wish to have a career in legal profession. This is a first professional or a primary law degree for the students who want to pursue a career in this profession. Being a much respected profession, Law is a very popular career choice in our country for a long time.
To work as a lawyer a person must have an LLB degree and one can also choose other career options after LLB like corporate management, legal services and administrative services etc. After completing a Bachelor of Laws, one can practice as an advocate in the court of law, can work with corporate firms as a legal advisor, can work as a solicitor general or public prosecutor or offers services to government agencies, Banks, Legal departments.
As per an estimate by the Bar Council of India, there are around 60,000 to 70,000 lawyers who enroll each year. Legal career is a lucrative option for students who pass class 12. Aspirants appear for various Law entrance exams to gain admission to the LLB degree course of their choice.
Eligibility and training for Law:
In order to pursue your career in the legal services you need to have passed 10+2 level examination recognized by the Bar Council of India. Clearing the law entrance is a must to gain entry in many law institutes. A student can either pursue a three-year law course after graduation (LLB) in any discipline or a five-year course after Class 12, leading to a BA LLB (Hons).
LLB Course overview
A student of Law gets to study different kinds of laws that exist in our legal system such as corporate law, company law and the law of torts. While pursuing the LLB course, one option that students can explore is working as a legal trainee under judges of the Supreme Court of India.
On completion of the degree and the internship, a person can become either an advocate or a solicitor. An advocate pleads in court and is actively involved in litigation. He decides what legislation and what precedents are relevant in a particular case. However, a solicitor offers legal advice to clients on a wide range of subjects, from personal to business matters. In the event of a case going to court, the solicitor briefs and advises the advocate who takes up the case on behalf of the client.
There are several fields a lawyer can choose from to specialize in:
- Criminal Law is where the lawyers deal with offences against society or state. It involves interviewing clients and interrogating witnesses, correlating findings, conducting trials, preparing a case for defense, examining, cross examining in court and so on.
- Corporation Law is where lawyers deal with advising corporations on their legal rights, obligations, and privileges; studying statutes, constitutions and ordinances; and, helping corporations to make the all-important decision of whether to go in for a suit at all.
- Civil Law is the one that deals with concerns of private rights of individuals, handling damage suits, breach of contract suits, drawing deeds, wills, mortgages, acting as trustee or guardian, etc.
- Labour Law deals with workers, their associations, working conditions, workers’ rights and duties, etc. Frequently, a lawyer specialising in labour law is called upon to sort out issues between management and employees in firms.
- Real Estate Law covers conveyance of property, search records and deeds to establish titles of property; acting as trustee for property; and, drawing up legal documents for deeds and mortgages.
- Patent Law focuses on securing patents for inventors from the patent office. Here the lawyer specialises in prosecuting or defending patent infringement and preparing detailed specifications of the patent and so on.
- Tax Law has a tuned in focus on income tax, estate tax, real tax, franchises, problems of inheritance, etc.
- International Law specializes in treaties, customs and traditions observed by nations in their relations with one another.
Top LLB institutes in India
- National Law School of India University- Bangalore
- National Academy of Legal Studies and Research University – Andhra Pradesh
- Campus Law Centre- Delhi
- National Law Institute University (NLIU) – Bhopal
- Symbiosis Law School- Pune
- WB National University of Juridical Sciences (NUJS) – Kolkata
- National Law University- Jodhpur
- ILS Law College- Pune
- Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law, IIT Kharagpur- Kharagpur
- Gujarat National Law University (GNLU) – Ahmedabad
- Amity University- Delhi/NCR
- Faculty of Law Banaras Hindu University- Varanasi
- Faculty of Law, Aligarh Muslim University- Aligarh
- Government Law College- Mumbai
- Army Institute of Law (AIL) – Punjab
- Hidayatullah National Law University (HNLU) – Chattisgarh
- School of Law Christ University (SLCU) – Bangalore
- Cochin University of Science and Technology- Kochi
- Faculty of Law, Jamia Milia Islamia- Delhi
The Registry of the Supreme Court of India advertises every year for jobs of law clerk-cum-research assistant, a good entry point for some. Lawyers are also required in corporate companies as well as government set ups. You can work with a senior lawyer to gain hands-on experience in different specializations such as corporate, labour, consumer, fundamental rights and telecom law. Salary largely varies depending on your area of expertise, from Rs 10,000/- to even Rs 1 lakh in a corporate company for a fresher.
Law jobs are lucrative in today’s world. As much as private practice pays well, top-notch law firms are also a good option for lawyer jobs. Lawyer careers and salaries grow fast because of the demand in the market. Depending on the type of court job, lawyers salaries per hour are also high. There are many benefits to being a lawyer irrespective of the type of role you choose.
If you are looking for a career in law, check out the overview of top law entrance exam in India. Listed below are the entrance exams for Law Admissions (LLB, LLM, Integrated Law Courses) for admission in Top Law Colleges of India.
Some of the below-mentioned Law entrance exams can be taken after class XII and some after Graduation. The list given here includes Law entrance Tests at All India level (National Level) while others at State Level or colleges have their own entrance exams.
Top Law Entrance Exams in India after 12th and Graduation
Common Law Admission Test (CLAT)
CLAT is an all-India entrance examination conducted on rotation by 18 National Law Universities (NLUs) for admissions to their under-graduate and post-graduate degree programs (LL.B. & LL.M.). Some of the NLUs that consider CLAT scores for admissions are NALSAR, NLSIU, WBNUJS, NLU, NLIU and GNLU
LSAT India – Law School Admission Test
Law School Admission Test (LSAT) is a standardized test of reading and verbal reasoning skills conducted four times every year specially designed for LLB and LLM admissions. LSAT scores are accepted by top institutes like Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law, IIT Kharagpur Law School, Galgotia University Law School, The Jindal Global Law School, UPES Dehradun, SRM University, Amity Law School and many more
AIBE (All India Bar Exam)
The All India Bar Examination (AIBE) is not conducted for admission to Law colleges its motive is to examine an advocate’s capability to practice the profession of law in India. The AIBE addresses a candidate’s analytical abilities and understanding basic knowledge of law. After passing the examination candidate will be awarded “Certificate of Practice” by the Bar Council of India. Visit us now to check latest AIBE notification, eligibility criteria & much more
All India Law Entrance Test (AILET)
AILET – All India Law Entrance Test is an exam conducted exclusively for National Law University (NLU) Delhi BA-LLB, LLM, PhD Admissions 2015.Visit us for all the latest updates regarding AILET eligibility, entrance test, application process and important dates
AIL Entrance Test (Army Institute of Law B.A. LL.B Entrance Test)
Army Institute of Law (AIL) Mohali Punjab has invited applications for Entrance Test conducted & coordinated by The Punjabi University, Patiala for Integrated BA LLB and LLM admission
Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET)
Symbiosis Entrance Test (SET) is a common written entrance test for Under Graduate law admissions into Symbiosis Law Schools situated in Pune and Noida. Symbiosis University offers around 300 seats for five-year integrated LLB admissions and 60 seats for three-year law admissions. Visit us now to check the latest updates regarding SET
BVP CET Law
Bharati Vidyapeeth common entrance test (BVP CET) Law is a paper-pencil entrance exam conducted for admissions to various undergraduate law admissions to LLB, BA LLB and BBA LLB in the four affiliated colleges of the University. BVP CET leads to the admission into college like New Law College, Deemed Bharati Vidyapeeth
Delhi University Law Entrance Exam
Delhi University Law Entrance Test is conducted by Delhi University for admissions to various law programmes run by the Faculty of Law Department of Delhi University for PG admissions to LLB and LLM. Check out all details of eligibility criteria, entrance test details, and important dates of the Du Law Entrance Test .
AMU Law Entrance Exam
Aligarh Muslim University Law Entrance Examination is conducted by Aligarh Muslim University for B.A LLB admission. Check details here for Application forms that have been issued for its three study centers also- AMU Aligarh, AMU Malappuram, AMU Murshidabad.
Banaras Hindu University Undergraduate Entrance Test (BHU UET) is conducted by Banaras Hindu University for students who are seeking to pursue under graduate courses in Commerce, Education, Science, Arts and Law. Banaras Hindu University (BHU) has uploaded the notification for conducting the BHU UET for LL.B (Hons) admission . Visit us for latest updates on BHU UET eligibility, entrance test, application process and important dates.
Now you are equipped with the list of the top law entrance exams giving you a focused view which means well begun is half done.