Department of Science and Technology (DST) announces Inspire Faculty Fellowship Scheme 2019
DST INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme 2019 – Ministry of Science and Technology, Department of Science and Technology – 16th Call 2019 INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme.
- The Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, has launched the “Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE)” [http://www.inspire-dst.gov.in] Program in 2008
- The program which encompasses the age group of 15-35 years aims to attract young Indian talent for study of science leading to careers in science.
- INSPIRE includes four components out of which the INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme offers a contractual research award to young achievers and opportunity for independent research in the near term and emerge as a future leader in the long term.
See: Scholarships in India 2019
Eligibility Criteria for DST INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme 2019
- Indian citizens and people of Indian origin including NRI/PIO status with PhD (in science, mathematics, engineering, pharmacy, medicine and agriculture related subjects) from any recognized university in the world
- Candidates shall possess minimum 60% (or equivalent CGPA) marks throughout his/her academic profile starting from the Higher Secondary examination (Class 12 onwards).
- Those who have submitted their Ph.D theses and are awaiting award of the degree are also eligible. However, the award will be conveyed only after confirmation of the award of the PhD degree
- The upper age limit as on 1st Jan 2019 should be 32 years for considering support for a period of 5 years. However, for SC and ST candidates, the upper age limit will be 35 years
- Publication(s) in highly reputed Journals demonstrating research potential of the candidate
- Candidates who are employed in regular/contractual position within India may apply for INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Award towards improvement and enhancement of their career prospects but upon selection the candidate will need to resign (no lien or deputation or any type of leave would be accepted) from the current job and organization for implementation of the INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Award
- Candidates who are within the top 1% at the School Leaving Examination, IIT-JEE rank holders, 1st Rank Holder either in graduation or post-graduation level university exam (which are used presently for identifying INSPIRE Scholars at under-graduate level and INSPIRE Fellows for doctoral degree).
Method of Selection
- The Indian National Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi, in coordination with DST, will be implementing this INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme up to the selection of candidates for award of INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Award.
- A three-tier selection process i.e. Discipline-based Expert Committee in case of candidates under Direct and Nomination modes/routes which is followed by selection through Apex Level Committee and finally INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Council selects the candidates in both the two modes
- Discipline-wise committees of INSA would evaluate and screen the candidates who wish to apply under the Direct and Nomination Routes without support from host-institutions.
- The Apex Committee shall finally select short-listed candidates for offering INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Award under this Scheme and decision of the Apex Committee for selecting candidates in this Scheme shall further be considered at the INSPIRE Faculty Council whose decision will be final for offer of INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship
- Candidates, who have not identified host institutions at the time of their application, should do so immediately after their final selection. All selected candidates should avail the INSPIRE Faculty Award within 3 months of their final selection
Amount & Duration of each INSPIRE Faculty position
- Each selected INSPIRE Faculty Fellow shall be eligible to receive a consolidated amount of Rs.1,25,000/- pm.
- In addition, a Research Grant of Rs.7 lakh per year for 5 years shall also be provided to each successful candidate
- The selected INSPIRE Faculty fellows in case of their joining in private academic/research institute will receive only Research Grant and their respective host institute /university has to pay the fellowship amount equal to the scheme norms
- The INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Award is for a maximum period of 5 (five) years. Each INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Awardee shall be regulated as per guidelines available at website.
During the Tenure
- In case the INSPIRE Faculty Fellow finds a permanent position during the tenure of the Fellowship, the Fellowship amount shall be discontinued from the day the INSPIRE Faculty Fellow joins in permanent position but he/she may continue with the INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme availing Research Grant for the remaining period to carry out research at the new position.
See: National Scholarship 2019
DST INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme 2019 Application Form
- Two routes i.e. Direct and Nomination are available for application on the online portal by the eligible candidates.
- Candidates who intend to apply through Direct or Nomination mode, may apply only online. Detailed guidelines are available on the website www.online-inspire.gov.in and follow the process prescribed therein
- After submission of application online, the candidate may obtain a print of the application thus submitted for personal use only
- Nominations from academic institutions or Industry R&D Centers can also be sent through Vice-Chancellors/Directors of Institutions/ Head of Institutions/ Presidents and Fellows of Science Academies or Eminent Scientists from India and abroad based on personal knowledge
- Nominations to be sent to Indian National Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi
- Eligible candidates who wish themselves to be considered in Direct (A) or Nomination (B) route, may fill the online application on the web portal given above for consideration
DST INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme 2019 Important Dates
- Eligible students choosing ‘Direct Mode’ or ‘Nomination Mode’ must apply online on or before 31st August 2019